Surround sound usage

Andrewr05

Surround sound  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a 'surround sound' setup in your living room?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you own a 'surround sound' setup for your PC?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever owned a 'surround sound' setup at all?

• Yes
    • No

It occurred to me that excluding movie theaters I've never actually experienced, owned or ever heard anything in any surround sound capacity.

I've always figured that a high quality 2.0 or 2.1 setup is better than a crappy surround setup.

Edited by Andrewr05

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surround is good for games and movies. For music, people prefer 2.0 speaker setups.

I use surround sound for home theater and headphones for PC. Thinking of getting a 2.0 speaker setup for the PC as well.

Edited by AZNguyen

I'm more of a headphones guy but I do own a 5.1 surrond system made by VM audio, definately overpriced and not as good as a logitech z506 system.

I really want the sono wireless hifi system

Edited by kennethk

I had one of the Samsung Home Theater kits that my dad got me a couple of years back for my birthday and then I bought a new TV and my Samsung Home Theater does not support HDMI so moved it to my PC and got a new one for the living room and it woks quite well. I prefer Surround Sound for movies but music on the Stereo headphones is just fine. 

using a Demon 3312CI with Klipsch Reference Subwoofer RW-12d and some Polk speakers. This setup rocks, in fact I have to turn the subwoofer off because it shakes the walls and my neighbors hate me :)

after listing to some DVD-Audio, SACDs and Dobly TrueHD (loseless audio), I can't ever go back tv speakers or cheap sound bars. You need to spend about $1500 to start off. I had to stop spending money because I already have bad hearing, at some point I just can't hear the difference.

A surround sound system requires a lot of work to setup properly. Most people throw the speakers around the room and say they have surround sound. While at the barest levels they are correct, they do not have a proper surround sound. Headphones are easier, especially since most fake it well. For a room it can be a mess.

I have heard a real and properly setup surround sound system, had one for a number of years but when I moved the living room did not allow for a proper setup and the first time I heard the system when I faked it, I sold off the system and settled for a good Soundbar. If I cannot do it right I am not gonna waste the money.

i have this http://asia.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v350_asia/?mode=model'>Yamaha RX-V350 with 5 satellite speakers + 1 powered sub as a gift from my father years back. it's more than enough to fill our small living room with good to excellent sound tracks/effects at the movies. though i preferred the 2.1 mode with music.

tried once hooking it up with my PC just to try "real" 5.1 with the games feels like somewhat, but i found out that i need Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect which my cheap Audigy Value card doesn't support any...not satisfied with pro-logic so back it goes in the living room. i'm happy now with my headset or else there would be flying pillows from the wife if i game with the Yamaha at night :sleep::P

A surround sound system requires a lot of work to setup properly. Most people throw the speakers around the room and say they have surround sound. While at the barest levels they are correct, they do not have a proper surround sound. Headphones are easier, especially since most fake it well. For a room it can be a mess.

true, and funny strange i've seen a couple of those who placed their 5 satellites all up front with the TV :blink: