Surround sound usage

Andrewr05

Surround sound  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a 'surround sound' setup in your living room?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you own a 'surround sound' setup for your PC?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever owned a 'surround sound' setup at all?

• Yes
    • No

When we built our place I pre-wired for surround sound.  I can't imagine watching / listening to home theater without it.  Mine is pieced together.  Pioneer A/V receiver, Pioneer floor speakers, KLH sub and KLH surround speakers.  It's only 5.1 but gets the job done nicely in the room it's installed in. 

My surround speakers are in the coffered ceiling and fire downwards towards the viewers.

PC setup is fairly simple.  Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and an old Altec Lansing 2.1 setup / and Creative Aurvana Live Headset.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to listening to music and general TV/game playing, I find that a proper stereo image is actually very good. I'd take a good stereo setup any day to a low-end "surround" system. 

However, when it comes to experiencing movies, there's nothing that beats a good surround sound setup in front of a big screen in a dark room. 

You don't even have to spend a ton of money, I've had great success finding gently used components off of Craigslist. Audio equipment tends to depreciate like crazy. 

Voted yes to all three.Got a yamaha 7.2 reciever with Klipsch home theater 5.1 speakers + an extra powered sub and 2 optimus rear speakers .

This is for the living room for  movies/tv/PS3.(grand kids love coming over the house and playing the PS3 hehehe)Prolly february I'll be replacing the 2  front speakers with Klipsch floor standing model .Can't remember the model # of them but they are the ones that are like 3-4 ft tall.Then replacing the optimus ones with the klipsch.The surround setup rocks for movies and games but not so good for music.The 2 subs although small really vibrate the house in action movies/games, good thing I live out in the country.....Sure miss my Cerwin vega's for the music.

The pc has the old repurposed Kenwood 5.1 reciever with with some generic rca surrounds(2front 1center 2rear) with a sony 8in powered subwoofer.Don't sound too bad not terrific but ok for gaming.

so buying Mcintosh equipment is a bad idea? :) My friends dad has about 80k worth of Mcintosh stuff, It does sound better but not enough to warrant the extra the cash.

Yes, that'd be a bad idea for most people. :P. Speakers are almost always the weak link and rarely are amplifiers.

Speakers are almost always the weak link and rarely are amplifiers.

i agree. i'm not an audiophile but i can hear and tell the difference between that cheaper speakers that i used to have as compared with the upgraded ones(car audio).

not that much margins with the amps either.

We set our house up for surround sound when we remodeled as well. I love not having to tuck wires everywhere. I ditched my old big speakers in favor of a Bose Acustimass 10 setup for my living room paired with a Pioneer VSX 1018 Ah reciever. very happy with the way it sounds. I used my old setup from my living room in my bedroom for the rare occasion that I may actually watch a movie in bed. I run the Logitech Z5500 5.1 set up on my pc although I rarely use them as I prefer a headset while gaming. So yeah I love surround sound lol.

Our main living area has a Sony STR-DG920 with HTD Middies up front and HTD MP-65 in walls for surround. The sub is an old Yamaha YST-90 I bought back in 1999. The garage is a bit cheaper with a refurb Sony STR-DH520, Polk R50 fronts, older Polk center channel speaker and AR indoor/outdoor speakers for surround speakers. It is nice being able to work in the garage on weekends and still get to see football, racing or whatever in surround sound. I just installed Chomecast in the garage as well.

I'm not an audio or video expert, so the setups work well for me. Neither room is optimal for theatre usage, but they get by.

My friends dad has about 80k worth of Mcintosh stuff

Does the average movie theater even have 80k in speakers?

:doh:

yep (well amps and speakers) and those digital projectors cost a few million themselves.

My friends dad has about 80k worth of Mcintosh stuff

Does the average movie theater even have 80k in speakers?

:doh:

yep (well amps and speakers) and those digital projectors cost a few million themselves.
Nowhere near $80k in just amps though! :lol: