Watch Dogs

ClayMeow

So anyone one who owns the pc version, after the screen that asks you to press enter to continue, you see a screen that shows Aiden holding a guy by a collar. Is it a clear picture or you have something fading in our out? 

I have a GTX 580. have a funny feeling i would need upgrade my card to play this game..

Warweeny plays it with a 580 and says he has no problems so you should be all right if you change a few settings.

Bad :
Driving is terrible on faster cars (at least it is alright on slower cars and bikes).
Framerate dips (from 90FPS to 30FPS) for no apparent reason, even with latest drivers.
You have to "unlock" songs by hacking certain citizens.
Combat seems iffy at certain times.
Cops are hardly found free roaming in the city, they only arrive well after you commit a crime and are found via ctOS scan.

1. Driving takes some getting used to. It's certainly not as bad as some people are claiming. Yes faster cars are insanely difficult to control on turns, but they also go twice as fast as every NPC, so it has to balance out somehow. lol. I've found that using the fast cars, sometimes you just can't simply hold down the gas the whole time. Also, the hand brake is your friend...seriously. Trying to make a 90-degree turn without the hand brake while going even semi-fast is damn near impossible.

2. fps dips are pretty normal, especially when a game first comes out. There's so many variables at play with WD that I'm really not surprised and even through future patches and driver updates, I don't think that will ever get fully alleviated. I mean you have day/night cycles, weather, explosions/fire/smoke effects, etc. Combine all that with a firefight at night during a rain storm with a helicopter shining a spotlight from above and you setting off a massive explosion - yeah, that shit will dip. lol

3. I honestly don't even care about songs. They're just another collectible to me.

4. Can you elaborate on your "combat seems iffy" statement? I find the cover-shooter mechanics to be better than any other open world game I've played so far.

5. Cops swarm when you commit a crime, that's for sure, but I've certainly seen my fair share of patrol cars. But like real life, they're usually solo at that point. I almost rammed into one while coming off the highway. I slammed on the brakes so fast and just barely missed clipping it. Man was my heart racing; just didn't feel like getting into a high-speed chase at that point. lol

So anyone one who owns the pc version, after the screen that asks you to press enter to continue, you see a screen that shows Aiden holding a guy by a collar. Is it a clear picture or you have something fading in our out? 

I have a GTX 580. have a funny feeling i would need upgrade my card to play this game.. 

I'd have to double-check, but for me it's not a static image, it cycles between various characters/scenes, so yeah, it fades in and out.

Sorry i am having a hard time to explain the issue.. When it fades in and out, the black stuff is looks like a clove and blocky characters.. What does it show for you?? 

And when I chose Auto-detect, system locked up... 

Edited by Gremlin

I have a gtx 580 as well and i can run the game fine on medium/high settings.

Not sure what you mean by fading in or out, but if you can play the game with a good image, then i wouldn't be too worried about it.

Sorry i am having a hard time to explain the issue.. When it fades in and out, the black stuff is looks like a clove and blocky characters.. What does it show for you?? 

And when I chose Auto-detect, system locked up... 

If it looks like a distorted image (since you mentioned blocky), this is a style ubisoft choose to implement it in the video's and cinematics.

EDIT:

If people have an AMD processor and doesn't have it overclocked, it could be a good reason why you would have bad frame-rates.
The game LOVES high clock speeds and high clock rates.

I tested my processor (i5-760) out on stock (2.8GHz) and overclocked (4.0GHz) and i gained well over 10 frames compared to stock settings (these are minimal frames, went from 40 minimal to 50).
I can imagine AMD lagging behind as intel has the faster clock for clock speeds.

I am so frustrated right now with this game. It's unplayable for me. I can't rotate my view even a few degrees without my HDD light going solid and the game juttering to a halt. If I keep the camera perfectly centered, not moving a thing, it's super smooth! 

I'm trying to run the game at 1440p with HBAO set to low, TXAA 2x, and detail set to high. These aren't even max settings. Even AC4 runs fine at max for me. And from the little I've seen it looks superior, as well. 

Every single time I preorder a game I get burned. Can't believe I shelled for the digital deluxe. Shame on me.

I am so frustrated right now with this game. It's unplayable for me. I can't rotate my view even a few degrees without my HDD light going solid and the game juttering to a halt. If I keep the camera perfectly centered, not moving a thing, it's super smooth! 

I'm trying to run the game at 1440p with HBAO set to low, TXAA 2x, and detail set to high. These aren't even max settings. Even AC4 runs fine at max for me. And from the little I've seen it looks superior, as well. 

Every single time I preorder a game I get burned. Can't believe I shelled for the digital deluxe. Shame on me.

Did you check what GFE says is the optimal settings?

I'd also try running 1080p instead (windowed if you don't want distortion) and see if that helps.

Or look thru this.

I can feel your pain, I've tried all kinds of setting adjustments INCLUDING the low preset and this game still runs like crap.  It's playable but barely.  Driving is a real nightmare where cars feel extra clunky when the framerate dips to 30 or less just driving around.  I don't care what anyone says, this game doesn't look THAT good and doesn't have THAT much going on. When a 4930K, 32GB of ram, and a R9 290X can't keep solid frame rates on medium SOMETHING IS BROKEN. 

On max settings I'm getting from 20-90fps  ~36% CPU load, I have seen video memory usage over 3GB in a few scenarios but my ENTIRE SYSTEM memory usage hasn't topped 8GB and with the game closed I'm looking at 4.6GB in use I'll be at my secondary rig and give it a go on the 4770K and GTX 670 tonight and see if my opinion changes or maybe use the laptop...8GB of video ram should make it happy :)

I can feel your pain, I've tried all kinds of setting adjustments INCLUDING the low preset and this game still runs like crap.  It's playable but barely.  Driving is a real nightmare where cars feel extra clunky when the framerate dips to 30 or less just driving around.  I don't care what anyone says, this game doesn't look THAT good and doesn't have THAT much going on. When a 4930K, 32GB of ram, and a R9 290X can't keep solid frame rates on medium SOMETHING IS BROKEN. 

On max settings I'm getting from 20-90fps  ~36% CPU load, I have seen video memory usage over 3GB in a few scenarios but my ENTIRE SYSTEM memory usage hasn't topped 8GB and with the game closed I'm looking at 4.6GB in use I'll be at my secondary rig and give it a go on the 4770K and GTX 670 tonight and see if my opinion changes or maybe use the laptop...8GB of video ram should make it happy :)

Did you install the new AMD beta drivers?

Thought I put that in but guess not, I did, tried it without and it's about a 15-20% change between them, all comments are based on the 14.6 beta though.

Thought I put that in but guess not, I did, tried it without and it's about a 15-20% change between them, all comments are based on the 14.6 beta though.

Well hopefully you have better luck with NVIDIA then; I have.