ClayMeow

Watch Dogs

I still don't understand why my game uses 8GB RAM and you don't even reach 3GB. I haven't done anything different; didn't mess with the config file or anything. It's gotta be the reason it doesn't stutter for me.

I still don't understand why my game uses 8GB RAM and you don't even reach 3GB. I haven't done anything different; didn't mess with the config file or anything. It's gotta be the reason it doesn't stutter for me.

Actually unless it's just from the video encoding it looks like you get a minor taste of it two looking at the end of your long video on the review discussion.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5_YDgcyTNo#t=950

Doesn't look NEARLY as pronounced as most systems I've seen, but during the driving it looks like it has little pauses and when playing there's noticeable control lag.  If that's the worst you've had it playing then I could see how you might not notice it but for most it seems to be a recurring problem.  I just can't figure out why across three systems I've got so much lower memory usage than you.  If that was really the case it should be much worse for all my systems.  

Actually if you don't mind record a bit of driving with rivatuner statistics server showing memory/CPU/GPU/GPU mem usage on screen.  That could shed some light into what's going on. 

EDIT: Also I should point out your scenario seems odd when most every other review/article that I've seen reference it says TOTAL system memory usage at under 6GB (much more in line with what I'm seeing) Example

EDIT2: I should also say that I played that mission you recorded last night...yeah it's a pain at the end though on my third play of it is hauled but out the gate to the water, ran up the fence to the left and just got in a car and drove off only killing one guy :lol:

Edited by cchalogamer

I assure you that there was no control lag, just me getting thrown off by accidentally doing the rear view twice and then trying to over-correct. lol.

I'll see if I can record it, but having RTSS on was preventing other overlays from working for some reason, which is why I couldn't show it in the review and only mentioned it.

PS. It'll likely not be today because I have a headache, so will probably not feel like playing :lol:

Okay, recorded a video and RTSS overlay shows, but uploading to YT saturates my line, so I may not upload it until tomorrow.

I chose to display both RAM and pagefile; don't really know which is which, but both hovered between 7.8GB-8.5GB usage.

However, I may record a new video because I was messing around with the settings and it caused a few problems.  :teehee:  GFE claimed I could max the game out, so I let it do so. Well doing so caused my FPS to drop to like 15 at times (although I don't think ShadowPlay helped things either, since it did the drop right when I hit record). So in the video, you see me then go and mess with the settings, first dropping HBAO+ High to Low, then dropping everything from Ultra to High (except I kept Textures at Ultra, which isn't shown in the video since it's in a different menu). Then I was once again getting my 40-60fps I had been getting. I'll have to go back and figure out what settings I kept on Ultra (because I had previously been using a mix), but for the video I didn't want to mess around further. lol.

The problem with messing with all that in the middle of the game was that it caused a few texture glitches (eg. road shadows appeared on my car/person). Once I died (I recorded a police chase that didn't end well; but I'm using me messing with the settings as an excuse :whistling: ) and the game reloaded, the texture glitches were gone, so I definitely think it was caused by my mid-game settings switches. Oops!

I chose to display both RAM and pagefile; don't really know which is which, but both hovered between 7.8GB-8.5GB usage.

Ok BIG difference in your system using 7.8-8.5GB vs watchdogs using it, how much memory does WD says you're using after playing a bit and you alt tab? Either that or memory usage after you close the game and are back at the desktop.

Ok BIG difference in your system using 7.8-8.5GB vs watchdogs using it, how much memory does WD says you're using after playing a bit and you alt tab? Either that or memory usage after you close the game and are back at the desktop.

I thought RTSS only shows RAM usage for the application you're using it in? Even if not, it jumps 4GB from the menu to continuing my game, so even that is more than you're reporting.

I've ran this game at all settings and resolutions up to 1080 and the most ram I've used is 5.8 gb, they recommend 6gb so I don't know how anyone can use less than 4 or more than 6 unless they have background programs running ?

Edited by SpikeSoprano

I've ran this game at all settings and resolutions up to 1080 and the most ram I've used is 5.8 gb, they recommend 6gb so I don't know how anyone can use less than 4 or more than 6 unless they have background programs running ?

They recommend 8GB actually; 6GB is listed as minimum.

And don't forget that "recommended specs" are stupid anyway since you don't know what they're recommended for; High at 1080p? Ultra at 1080p? Ultra at 4K?

Recommended and minimum specs are just statements of confidence. The developers are confident that with that hardware, you will be able to play the game as they intend it to be played. Lesser specs may still be able to play a given game, but how it plays may not be how the devs wish it to be.

In theory, if devs decided that their game is supposed to be played at 60 FPS, they will recommend specs that should achieve that, while lesser specs may only get you to 50 or 40 FPS. Still playable, but not in the form the devs wish.

I wouldn't say they're stupid like Andrew, but borderline useless.

Stupid; useless; same difference. The point is that unless a developer specifically lists what settings can be achieved by said specs (which they never do), they're stupid/useless.

Stupid; useless; same difference. The point is that unless a developer specifically lists what settings can be achieved by said specs (which they never do), they're stupid/useless.

:withstupid:

So I started playing this over the weekend and the one word that comes to mind is frustrating,  One side mission frustrated me for an hour.  The driving isn't as terrible as everyone is saying but it isn't good either.  The stealth sucks PERIOD imo. I'm playing on PS4 so I'm not having any of the issues the PC players are having.  I don't have a final verdict since I'm only a few hours in but I think eBay awaits this game.