ClayMeow

Watch Dogs

First "official review" is already leaked and it got a 19/20!

Translated from French:

Gameplay: 5 stars
Everything works perfectly, the ultra-intuitive hacking allows for exhilarating moments in the game.

Graphics: 5 stars
Very solid on the technical level, especially in the sensation of life that makes Watch_Dogs great.

Sound: 4 stars
Excellent ambient music and sound effects, but the track selection is a little limited.

Longevity: 5 stars
Because it

A bit surprised that the story is one negative since the story seemed like it was arguably the strongest of any open-world sandbox yet (GTA, SR). But either way, it sounds like it may live up to the hype!

The way I look at it, if you compare most modern games to the few out there that do it right, a well developed story isn't really that common these days and it would seem they're grabbing at things to put in the cons list.  It could be the best open world story line yet and still be lacking in my opinion.  

One thing that ALWAYS concerns me about early reviews is the potential for their being a "price" for that company to get the review out first.  In other words the fear that anything but a wonderful review of the game overlooking any flaws is the only way to go to keep the publisher happy and get to keep such preferential treatment next time or worse yet not get blacklisted because you said something that caused people to return preorders or reduce hype before the game even launches.

With all that said I see a LOT of potential in the game.  The internet is abuzz with people pissed that it isn't the best looking game ever after the extra dev time and complaints about the system requirements (though they do seem a little odd in places) Personally I'm tired of games that focus on the eye candy alone or repeat the same formula again and again. I say to hell with it, is the game FUN TO PLAY.  I've been playing Fistful of Frags recently because I just think it's a fun thing to do, but compared to most games coming out it's an ugly plain pile of poop, but it's FUN. Watch Dogs looks like it'll be FUN.

Personally I VERY rarely preorder a game, and if I'm on the fence I usually go and pirate the game (gasp) and try it before I buy.  (With 396 games and over 1.3 TB of used storage in my steam library alone don't try to say I don't follow through with purchases)  I figure if it keeps my attention for a while that way I need to press the buy button.  Sometimes I think I like it but it's OK and I'll wait it out for a steam sale to buy it (and 99% of the time wait until then to finish playing it, because if it was good enough that I needed to finish it then it was worth asking price at launch) I hope this is one of those games everyone loves and I can just buy it a few days after it's released.  Worst case though I'm SURE it will be a purchase by the time the summer steam sale rolls around :D

Edited by cchalogamer

A bit surprised that the story is one negative since the story seemed like it was arguably the strongest of any open-world sandbox yet (GTA, SR). But either way, it sounds like it may live up to the hype!

The way I look at it, if you compare most modern games to the few out there that do it right, a well developed story isn't really that common these days and it would seem they're grabbing at things to put in the cons list.  It could be the best open world story line yet and still be lacking in my opinion.  

One thing that ALWAYS concerns me about early reviews is the potential for their being a "price" for that company to get the review out first.  In other words the fear that anything but a wonderful review of the game overlooking any flaws is the only way to go to keep the publisher happy and get to keep such preferential treatment next time or worse yet not get blacklisted because you said something that caused people to return preorders or reduce hype before the game even launches.

I definitely understand your wariness, but one thing to keep in mind was that this is leak of a French print publication and thus wasn't actually supposed to be live yet. There's a review embargo set for the release date (as there usually is), but in order to meet the print deadline, obviously this mag had to send it to get printed and someone leaked a photo of the final score page. So I lend a little bit more credence to its legitimacy than if it was just a random online reviewer or user.

I wonder if the PC version will have more population

Yes

Poor console guys :( Or maybe the cities are more active in the evening?

I'd say it's likely a combination of both. See second paragraph here, which explains how the "population" is dynamic.

I'm going to rent this game first and A) see if its good at all , B) see if it has any replay value. GTA5 got boring for me around 30hrs and that was online. I never did it past a few missions before selling it.

Tomorrow is going to be awesome :D

Heard AA and VRAM is a killer in this game, Temporal SMAA is the best bet at the moment.

Jonathan Morin (creative director) suggests 4Gb VRAM when using any MSAA with Ultra settings at 1080p, which is crazy considering that 2xMSAA looks worse than no AA and 4xMSAA (which is comparable to Temporal SMAA) has a massive performance hit.

People are also pointing out the lack of Anisotropic Filtering in the game, so enabling 16xAF in the Nvidia Control Panel is going to be one of the first things I do.
Adding "-disablepagefilecheck" to the game shortcut also reduces stuttering a lot, provided you have a good amount of RAM. I have Pagefile disabled completely anyway though.

So I'm hoping Ultra settings + Temporal SMAA + 16xAF in NVCP + No Pagefile yields a great experience at 1080p :) 

Not to bash the game or anything :rolleyes:, but eh....

i just looked at some comparisons with gta 4 and gta is better in almost everything in terms of features and physics lol.

The visuals don't represent the gtx 780 requirement as well if you compare the low to ultra comparisons.

It is a shame as i was looking forward to a title that was deemed to be looking "next-gen".

Guess i will wait for the witcher 3 for that experience...

I've really been enjoying Watch_Dogs on PC. I'm over 8 hours in and only still in Act 1 without even touching online features yet.

Good:

Graphics, they really do look good on Ultra - characters, rain effects, debris blowing over roads, wind and smoke all look amazing. 

Storyline is great.

Hacking adds a new way of completing missions. 

Loads of content - Story missions, criminal missions, many types of online missions, AR games, poker, slot machines, etc.

Big city, with lots of NPC's.

Lots of historical "hotspot" locations.

Gun shops, Pawn shops, Chemists, Coffee shops, Train stations - which all add a lot to the expereince.

Hacking NPCs (text conversations, calls, bank accounts).

Citizen profiler.

In-car view when driving.

Weather and Day/Night cycle.

Bad :

Driving is terrible on faster cars (at least it is alright on slower cars and bikes).

Framerate dips (from 90FPS to 30FPS) for no apparent reason, even with latest drivers.

You have to "unlock" songs by hacking certain citizens.

Combat seems iffy at certain times.

Cops are hardly found free roaming in the city, they only arrive well after you commit a crime and are found via ctOS scan.

So anyone one who owns the pc version, after the screen that asks you to press enter to continue, you see a screen that shows Aiden holding a guy by a collar. Is it a clear picture or you have something fading in our out? 

I have a GTX 580. have a funny feeling i would need upgrade my card to play this game..