Recommend me a good router :D

Netgear user here, I have the 3700 v2 and so far so good. Not sure how it compares to the ASUS but I got it on sale for about $99 so can't complain. My issue with the D-LINK (don't really recall the model) I had before it is it needed a hard boot almost everyday lol.

So far I think I like the RT-N16 best. I've been looking at a lot of reviews for it and most of it's recent reviews look good, going to get some sleep now and take a more thorough look at it tomorrow. It's a bit pricey to me but I think it's about time I sprung for a good router and stopped all the headaches.

The DIR-655 also has some appeal but I'm seeing some mentions of reliability and heat issues, as well as customer service being not so great.

The RT-N66U does look pretty awesome, reviews for it are great all around but it's a little more than I'd like to spend on a router, and it feels like most of it's reviews are more about performance than reliability and ease of use so it probably offers a lot that I don't really need or want I think.

I'm tempted to upgrade my router to the pricey RT-AC66U just to see how good that one is, if you're interested in mine, I don't mind selling it for $60 shipped. Would need to reset to factory default and it'd be good to go (and I could flash to the latest firmware if it isn't already). ;)

Almost all routers warm up to some degree. I usually place mine on top of my top exhaust fans from my case to dissipate some of the heat. :)

Thanks for the offer but I already placed my order for it. :D

Ya, I normally don't care about whether our router overheats or not, we always used cheap $20 or less routers after all. I'll probably try to make sure this one is treated better though.

So far I think I like the RT-N16 best. I've been looking at a lot of reviews for it and most of it's recent reviews look good, going to get some sleep now and take a more thorough look at it tomorrow. It's a bit pricey to me but I think it's about time I sprung for a good router and stopped all the headaches.

The DIR-655 also has some appeal but I'm seeing some mentions of reliability and heat issues, as well as customer service being not so great.

The RT-N66U does look pretty awesome, reviews for it are great all around but it's a little more than I'd like to spend on a router, and it feels like most of it's reviews are more about performance than reliability and ease of use so it probably offers a lot that I don't really need or want I think.

I'm tempted to upgrade my router to the pricey RT-AC66U just to see how good that one is, if you're interested in mine, I don't mind selling it for $60 shipped. Would need to reset to factory default and it'd be good to go (and I could flash to the latest firmware if it isn't already). ;)

Almost all routers warm up to some degree. I usually place mine on top of my top exhaust fans from my case to dissipate some of the heat. :)

Thanks for the offer but I already placed my order for it. :D

Ya, I normally don't care about whether our router overheats or not, we always used cheap $20 or less routers after all. I'll probably try to make sure this one is treated better though.

Np. I'll probably wait until I move until I get a new one. Small home, everything is also wired with 3 switches, no need for a heavy-duty router, just one of those want-to-have things.

Hell, if I could, I'd watercool a router. :)

We've never updated our firmware on the DIR-655 AND have never needed to reboot it EVER....so...

I guess the ambient of the room is pretty low, right?

Cause, My DIR-655 is located in my room where I don't let the temperatures go beyond 25C.

Otherwise, I saw little bit of overheating problem with that router.

We've never updated our firmware on the DIR-655 AND have never needed to reboot it EVER....so...

I guess the ambient of the room is pretty low, right?

Cause, My DIR-655 is located in my room where I don't let the temperatures go beyond 25C.

Otherwise, I saw little bit of overheating problem with that router.

It gets no special treatment and is in a small room (my dad's office) so I'd assume it wouldn't be especially cold... maybe we have the golden unit. We literally have not had to touch the thing since the first installation

• Like 1

Got the RT-N16 in a little bit ago, setup with easy, it was pretty much plug and play, just had to do a little settings changes and it's perfect. :D

Hopefully it proves to stay perfect, I've already downloaded the latest firmware for it just in case I end up needing it.

So far I'm very happy about getting this though, it's much faster than what we had been using and it shows. Everything feels so snappy now, all web pages are almost instant compared to before.

• Like 1

I've gone through maybe 3-4 routers recently trying to find the right one. The Cisco E3200 is insane and has the highest throughput out of any routers in its class, except for the N band where the E3500 beats it by a little bit. Both of them are well worth the cost and I love them. I decided to get the E3200 because I didn't need the extra N band throughput since I live in an apartment. 

Edit: Woops, didn't see you already got one. 

Edited by Onion