Recommend me a good router :D

Okay, so I need to get a new router, people in the house are constantly whining about our current router, which changes weekly now, going from cheap router to cheap router. So I ask you computer gurus, help me find a final solution to this problem. I just need a router that is easy and simple to work with and has a great range. Price is no issue, unless it's like $300 or something.

We haven't had one issue with our DLink DIR-655. Not one, whereas we had to almost weekly restart our WRT54G Linsys router before it got unbearable and I had to diagnose my sister's boyfriend's newer linksys that had died...so can't say I'm fond of Linksys routers though I think you can do custom firmare shiz with them that I never looked into.

I would vote for D-Link DIR-655 & Asus RT-N66U.

I use the DIR-655 for last one and half years and that is awesome.

The reviews say that RT-N66U is one of the best routers Asus have ever made.

Your choice. :)

Are any of these good out of the box? I'm not looking to mess with DD-WRT or Tomato right now, I'm just wanting something simple and easy, something that won't require any work. A lot of the reviews for these routers seem to suggest the need for a firmware update or DD-WRT/Tomato. I've tried messing with that stuff before and it didn't seem to work out, kind of just looking for a headache-free router.

My Asus died on me, so I went back to Linksys with the E3000 last year...but they've replaced that with the E4200, which I got for my aunt back in January and has been working flawlessly:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-E4200-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B004K1EZDS

IMO, Linksys is best out-of-the-box with really quick and easy setup for the WiFi.

Are any of these good out of the box? I'm not looking to mess with DD-WRT or Tomato right now, I'm just wanting something simple and easy, something that won't require any work. A lot of the reviews for these routers seem to suggest the need for a firmware update or DD-WRT/Tomato. I've tried messing with that stuff before and it didn't seem to work out, kind of just looking for a headache-free router.

D-Link DIR-655 is good without DD-wrt,

I have no idee how that Asus would be without dd-wrt.

So far I think I like the RT-N16 best. I've been looking at a lot of reviews for it and most of it's recent reviews look good, going to get some sleep now and take a more thorough look at it tomorrow. It's a bit pricey to me but I think it's about time I sprung for a good router and stopped all the headaches.

The DIR-655 also has some appeal but I'm seeing some mentions of reliability and heat issues, as well as customer service being not so great.

The RT-N66U does look pretty awesome, reviews for it are great all around but it's a little more than I'd like to spend on a router, and it feels like most of it's reviews are more about performance than reliability and ease of use so it probably offers a lot that I don't really need or want I think.

Edit: Well after reading more reviews I'm pretty much coming to a conclusion that I'm not going to get too far without some kind of firmware update or change, I think I'll just go ahead and order the RT-N16 and see what it's like out of the box and if I don't like it, I'll just go ahead and update the firmware.

Edited by Deathmineral

So far I think I like the RT-N16 best. I've been looking at a lot of reviews for it and most of it's recent reviews look good, going to get some sleep now and take a more thorough look at it tomorrow. It's a bit pricey to me but I think it's about time I sprung for a good router and stopped all the headaches.

The DIR-655 also has some appeal but I'm seeing some mentions of reliability and heat issues, as well as customer service being not so great.

The RT-N66U does look pretty awesome, reviews for it are great all around but it's a little more than I'd like to spend on a router, and it feels like most of it's reviews are more about performance than reliability and ease of use so it probably offers a lot that I don't really need or want I think.

I'm tempted to upgrade my router to the pricey RT-AC66U just to see how good that one is, if you're interested in mine, I don't mind selling it for $60 shipped. Would need to reset to factory default and it'd be good to go (and I could flash to the latest firmware if it isn't already). ;)

Almost all routers warm up to some degree. I usually place mine on top of my top exhaust fans from my case to dissipate some of the heat. :)