2013 Firearms Discussion

Nyt

Yeah my one friend got to shoot a 1911, I hear they are amazing and shoot like a dream (though I'm sure .45 ammo pricing is the nightmare)

One thing to consider with 1911s is that they are made by many different companies, so quality can differ between brands.

Same thing with AR15 pattern rifles and AK47 pattern rifles, they're all similar but not all are equal.

mythos first off shot guns are very affordable, don't cost a lot and are easy to maintain, and ammo is cheap, if your shoulder can handle it, get one, shooting clay pigeons is a blast. by the way a 300 win mag is a big friggin rifle. second if your recoil shy dont get a small 9mm they are louder and jump a little i had a kel tec and it rung my bell!and for the .40 s&w its got higher velocity than a 45, and a heavier bullet than a 9mm so its sort of the best (or worst) of both worlds

and 45 auto doesnt cost so much if you load your own, i paid 100 bucks for a box of 500 bullets, 50 for 1000 primers, and a pound of powder is like 25, 7000 grains per pound im using 5 grains per bullet, maths time

per 500 rounds

100 in bullets

25 in primers

8.93 in powder

133.93 for 500 rds

cheapest ammo on luckygunner is 45 for 50

thats 450 dollars for 500

keep in mind that hand load ammo is usually very very high quality stuff if you follow your load data and tune it to your firearm

and that 45 dollar box of ammo is well cheap stuff

Yeah my one friend got to shoot a 1911, I hear they are amazing and shoot like a dream (though I'm sure .45 ammo pricing is the nightmare)
One thing to consider with 1911s is that they are made by many different companies, so quality can differ between brands.Same thing with AR15 pattern rifles and AK47 pattern rifles, they're all similar but not all are equal.

I know that but they should handle similarly since aren't they all designed with the same barrel length/shape??

mythos first off shot guns are very affordable, don't cost a lot and are easy to maintain, and ammo is cheap, if your shoulder can handle it, get one, shooting clay pigeons is a blast. by the way a 300 win mag is a big friggin rifle. second if your recoil shy dont get a small 9mm they are louder and jump a little i had a kel tec and it rung my bell!and for the .40 s&w its got higher velocity than a 45, and a heavier bullet than a 9mm so its sort of the best (or worst) of both worlds

and 45 auto doesnt cost so much if you load your own, i paid 100 bucks for a box of 500 bullets, 50 for 1000 primers, and a pound of powder is like 25, 7000 grains per pound im using 5 grains per bullet, maths time

per 500 rounds

100 in bullets

25 in primers

8.93 in powder

133.93 for 500 rds

keep in mind that hand load ammo is usually very very high quality stuff if you follow your load data and tune it to your firearm

Yeah that's why I've always been interested in shotgun, they're simple, cheap and super effective (as well as modular for different applications)

That is quite a savings with the hand loading... I wonder how cheap it'd make 22LR or 9mm by handloading. I can only imagine!!

With plated .45 I've been able to get as low as 19.5 cents a piece and hard cast as low as 18 cents. Before the hysteria and price increases it was down as much as 50% in savings and shot a lot better than most factory ammo i've shot.

One thing to consider with 1911s is that they are made by many different companies, so quality can differ between brands.Same thing with AR15 pattern rifles and AK47 pattern rifles, they're all similar but not all are equal.
I know that but they should handle similarly since aren't they all designed with the same barrel length/shape??

mythos first off shot guns are very affordable, don't cost a lot and are easy to maintain, and ammo is cheap, if your shoulder can handle it, get one, shooting clay pigeons is a blast. by the way a 300 win mag is a big friggin rifle. second if your recoil shy dont get a small 9mm they are louder and jump a little i had a kel tec and it rung my bell!and for the .40 s&w its got higher velocity than a 45, and a heavier bullet than a 9mm so its sort of the best (or worst) of both worlds

per 500 rounds

100 in bullets

25 in primers

8.93 in powder

133.93 for 500 rds

Yeah that's why I've always been interested in shotgun, they're simple, cheap and super effective (as well as modular for different applications)

mythos first off shot guns are very affordable, don't cost a lot and are easy to maintain, and ammo is cheap, if your shoulder can handle it, get one, shooting clay pigeons is a blast. by the way a 300 win mag is a big friggin rifle. second if your recoil shy dont get a small 9mm they are louder and jump a little i had a kel tec and it rung my bell!and for the .40 s&w its got higher velocity than a 45, and a heavier bullet than a 9mm so its sort of the best (or worst) of both worlds

per 500 rounds

100 in bullets

25 in primers

8.93 in powder

133.93 for 500 rds

That is quite a savings with the hand loading... I wonder how cheap it'd make 22LR or 9mm by handloading. I can only imagine!!

Hard cast 9mm for 11 cents plated for 14 cents and jacketed for 16.5 :D Only downside is you shoot twice as much sometimes and end up spending the same amount as factory loads but shoot more. All comes down to if it's worth your time and initial investment cost. Thena gain for that if you factory in the cost of reload gear into the cost of a round it's like factorying the cost of a car in every gallon of gas.

Edited by iluvstrats2

Lol yeah I noticed that, and the damn casings hitting me in the head an shoulder. Glocks suck :P

Check out the Springfield XDm.  I have a XDm 9mm 3.8" and it's pretty nice.  I'm not really a fan of Glocks either but I like the XD pistols.  When I bought mine Springfield was also having a special going on to get 3 free mags.  Not sure how often they have that deal going on but i'm pretty sure they've done it more than once so maybe they will again.

IMO no other pistol shoots as nice as a 1911.  The grip angle, the crisp single action trigger pull, the way the narrow grip feels in your hand without a double stack mag.  The downside is that they can get expensive.  The one in my avatar (Dan Wesson CBOB 4.25") was $1350 if I remember correctly.  I have one thats been on order since July 2011 and it's $2200 (Fusion 6" long slide).  You can get a Rock Island Armory I believe for between $350-500.  They aren't going to be as well built as a higher end gun but I've heard mostly good things about them.  As long as it doesn't jam and goes bang when you pull the trigger it's hard to go wrong with one.  I've been thinking of getting one myself.  Looking for a more traditional looking 5" GI model.  Might try and get a Colt for that though.  I just don't like ugly "billboards" on the slide with big letters or some gaudy looking emblem.

Same thing with AR15 pattern rifles and AK47 pattern rifles, they're all similar but not all are equal

And if you live in CT, with the stroke of a pen they are now illegal.  

Same thing with AR15 pattern rifles and AK47 pattern rifles, they're all similar but not all are equal

Isn't it ironic how most of the original thirteen colonies that fought so hard against tyranny are now the most tyrannical of all the states? :rolleyes:

Hard cast 9mm for 11 cents plated for 14 cents and jacketed for 16.5 :D Only downside is you shoot twice as much sometimes and end up spending the same amount as factory loads but shoot more. All comes down to if it's worth your time and initial investment cost. Thena gain for that if you factory in the cost of reload gear into the cost of a round it's like factorying the cost of a car in every gallon of gas.

Gotcha, though what do you mean "spend the same amount but shoot more"??

Also what are the differences between hard cast, plated, and jacketed rounds?? I'm assuming one is better than the other two? (based on the price differences, I'm assuming that it's not just manufacturing costs)

Check out the Springfield XDm. I have a XDm 9mm 3.8" and it's pretty nice. I'm not really a fan of Glocks either but I like the XD pistols. When I bought mine Springfield was also having a special going on to get 3 free mags. Not sure how often they have that deal going on but i'm pretty sure they've done it more than once so maybe they will again.

IMO no other pistol shoots as nice as a 1911. The grip angle, the crisp single action trigger pull, the way the narrow grip feels in your hand without a double stack mag. The downside is that they can get expensive. The one in my avatar (Dan Wesson CBOB 4.25") was $1350 if I remember correctly. I have one thats been on order since July 2011 and it's $2200 (Fusion 6" long slide). You can get a Rock Island Armory I believe for between $350-500. They aren't going to be as well built as a higher end gun but I've heard mostly good things about them. As long as it doesn't jam and goes bang when you pull the trigger it's hard to go wrong with one. I've been thinking of getting one myself. Looking for a more traditional looking 5" GI model. Might try and get a Colt for that though. I just don't like ugly "billboards" on the slide with big letters or some gaudy looking emblem.

I'll look into the XD, good deal on the extra mags!

Yeah my buddies both shot the Colt version (so I guess most true to the original). I'd probably be the cheapskate to get the Island Armory one to have a 1911 lol, if at all possible I'd not wanna spend more than $1000 on any one gun. (That's part of the reason I'd likely get my U22 Neos and perhaps a Ruger P95 in the future, both are very affordable yet quality weapons)

They had a couple 1911s on the counter at the gun store I went to, I was so tempted to rent one. (I think a S&W, the Colt and I believe there were two others)

Lol, making them all equal now huh :P

Isn't it ironic how most of the original thirteen colonies that fought so hard against tyranny are now the most tyrannical of all the states? :rolleyes:
That is a sadly ironic truth Edited by IVIYTH0S

rimfire like the 22lr can not be reloaded, and mythos i dont think ive spent less than 1000 on any one gun, with the exception of my 300 win mag and the good ole ruger 10 22, my ar 15 when all said and done i spent 1800 on it,. magpul helped that number jump, its an s&w m&p

+1 on quote fail, i dont even use it, i dont like it.

• Like 1

Quotes fixed, don't quite know what all went wrong there...

Quote fail lol. I don't like the new quote setup. I like the more simpler one.

Same but I'm *almost* used to the new style (as hard to believe as it seems) haha.

rimfire like the 22lr can not be reloaded, and mythos i dont think ive spent less than 1000 on any one gun, with the exception of my 300 win mag and the good ole ruger 10 22, my ar 15 when all said and done i spent 1800 on it,. magpul helped that number jump, its an s&w m&p

+1 on quote fail, i dont even use it, i dont like it.

Wait so your M&P was over $1000 too...this guy.. "None of my guns were over $1000...except this this this this this...."lol

Makes sense, I figured like $0.03 a shot was only a wet dream but atleast there's 9mm to be made cheaper.

Edited by IVIYTH0S