Windows 8, whos gonna buy it on release?

neddamttocs

66 members have voted

1. 1. Windows 8, whos gonna buy it on release?

• I will buy it on release
    • I will buy it, but wait until a Service Pack
    • I will buy it, but wait until most of the bugs are gone
    • I will not be buying it
    • Undecided
    • Other

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not be replacing any of my current Win7 installs with Win8, that is for sure, and I will probably never use Win8 for a desktop (unless the service packs bring back the desktop), but I would be willing to get it for a tablet like the Surface. That seems to be the intended environment for it, so I would be willing to use it there.

I have to admit though, I really wish we could see the new task manager come to Win7. It is awesome.

Once I saw the screen shots of windows 8 I wasn't even interested in trying it and I haven't and I have no plans to do so....

I beta tested for both Vista and Windows 7 because it looked interesting and usable.... windows 8 doesnt to me...

Windows 8 is getting a lot of bad press about the interface but to be honest i think the reasoning is wrong.  While the interface is about phone and tablet usage it has another reason for the design, it moves Windows to a more task oriented interface. The basic premise is solid and in my opinion a great idea, the issue for me is the implementation. Right now running an app that is not designed for the metro interface takes you back to a desk top interface and then into the app. This makes the OS feel patched together and clumsy. They need to do a better job of hiding the old desktop or kill it completely. As for the underlying OS, it is basically a very polished Windows 7. This means a nice move forward and the system has a little more snap. <div><br></div><div>In the end I have to use it to provide customer support and for proper review purposes moving forward. I have been using the preview and while it is very clumsy to use at first, once you get the desktop setup with the apps you use and clean out the junk I actually find it has grown on me. Now I firmly expect it to get bad press on release but the bad press will be all about superficial matters. I do not think it is a must move to item but from what I have seen it is not another<i> Me</i>.</div>

Interface is useless and they are attempting to much redesign here. Great for a tablet, but seeing as I don't own one, it looks horrible on a desktop or laptop PC. Plus, I'm guessing this will just follow the usual Microsoft cycle of crap -> good.

I will probably be buying it if I can find it cheap. I probably won't use it as my boot OS, but I do want to make sure I know how to use it in case I find myself at a public computer with win 8 on it.

The other reason it might be worth getting it is if it turns out to be more stable than windows 7. I seriously doubt it will be, but who knows, microsoft could surprise me.