GTX 600s might release in April

Prunes

Why would you go from 2 7970's to a single 680? :lol: What a waste.

I honestly don't understand his reasoning either (and believe me I tried). :lol:

A pair of 7970s would hold me over for years. :woot:

I honestly don't understand his reasoning either (and believe me I tried). :lol:

Ah well he's obiviously not paying for himself so he's got the luxury to do it. :lol:

Just read Tom's HW review of the GTX 680 vs. HD7970, 7970 holds it's own.

ttp://www.tomshardw...nd,3162-11.html

Edited by MJCRO

OT: how do you include nested quote?

Like this:

[quote name='Nyt Ryda' timestamp='1332084062' post='2010140']
[quote name='Waco' timestamp='1332083487' post='2010139']
I blame St. Patty's day for that little argument.  

Anyway - anyone want to bet on when Nyt will upgrade to 680s?
[/quote]

I'll bet you $100 that I dont 
[/quote]

Just one quote inside of another.

Ah well he's obiviously not paying for himself so he's got the luxury to do it. :lol:

Just read Tom's HW review of the GTX 680 vs. HD7970, 7970 wins in almost everything, single and dual cards. :lol:

http://tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli-overclock-surround,3162-11.html

(That link didn't work, but I found it anyway)

Yeah, that's the huge display/multi-display review so most of the tests were run at 2560x1600 and higher. At that point, the GTX 680 gets bottlenecked by its smaller frame buffer and less memory bandwidth than the 7970.

This is all due to the fact that the GTX 680 (kelper GK104) was SUPPOSED to be the GTX 660. If you look at it this way, it makes sense the card is limited in memory and bandwidth, as well as being a smaller die and cooler than the 7970. Basically nvidia are screwing us into buying a midrange card for a high end card's price, because it could compete with AMD's highest end card.

Edited by 90sgamer

Yeah, that's the huge display/multi-display review so most of the tests were run at 2560x1600 and higher. At that point, the GTX 680 gets bottlenecked by its smaller frame buffer and less memory bandwidth than the 7970.

This is all due to the fact that the GTX 680 (kelper GK104) was SUPPOSED to be the GTX 660. If you look at it this way, it makes sense the card is limited in memory and bandwidth, as well as being a smaller die and cooler than the 7970. Basically nvidia are screwing us into buying a midrange card for a high end card's price, because it could compete with AMD's highest end card.

+1 I agree. GTX 680 should have been GTX 660Ti or whatever, and it's crippled. But hey, since it beats the HD 7970, which was overpriced to begin with, might as well price it high, anyways.

AMD won't even lower their prices. Probably because there's not a lot of GTX 680's available. I don't see the HD 7970 will ever go down below $500 in price. AMD will just spend more money on their marketing campaign. They don't want to appear weak to Nvidia by lowering their price. Just a hunch.

Fixed the link!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli-overclock-surround,3162-11.html

Edited by MJCRO

+1 I agree. GTX 680 should have been GTX 660Ti or whatever, and it's crippled. But hey, since it beats the HD 7970, which was overpriced to begin with, might as well price it high, anyways.

AMD won't even lower their prices. Probably because there's not a lot of GTX 680's available. I don't see the HD 7970 will ever go down below $500 in price. AMD will just spend more money on their marketing campaign. They don't want to appear weak to Nvidia by lowering their price. Just a hunch.

Yep, if Nvidia gets better yields and continues to sell at $500 they are going to make a killing, considering the GK104 was designed with midrange selling price in mind so it probably doesn't cost near that much to manufacture.

However, if they had better yields and sold it at the initial midrange price to begin with, AMD would be severely screwed. :lol:

I was wondering about AMD's prices too. I thought the 7970 prices would drop sharply, or at least match GTX 680 prices. They have to lower them eventually, especially when GK110 comes out this summer and the HD 8000 series (Q4 2012?) still isn't available.

Why would he go from 6970s to 580s to 7970s to a 680? And more that I'm probably forgetting? :mfp:

It was from 580 to 580s to 6970 to 6970s to 7970 to 7970s to 680 to ... You complete the pattern :P I must say, now that I look at that pattern I can almost see what Im getting next :teehee: Must break the pattern and stay with a 680 until Maxwell !! :P

Because I can :teehee: And Im benefiting from a SSD and extra cash for my beach holiday from downgrading :P