Taping the sides of a tower cooler = better airflow?

l1o2l

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would covering the sides of a tower cooler lead to better airflow and temps?

Covering/taping the sides of a tower cooler... Would that lower temps?

I would think it does as it would keep air flowing in one direction and only one direction.

Okay, this is weird...

Here's what I did. Ripped some paper and stuck it onto both sides of the heatsink. (very sloppily done)

Results from P95 on my 2600k:

With: 57°C 57°C 60°C 59°C

Without: 57 °C 58°C 60°C 59°C

These are max temps...

Someone else should give it a go...

Edited by l1o2l

There should not be so much difference.

in a push+pull setup i think you would gain some, but with one fan you might loose some since the airflow restriction matter more with less fans. but then again in a push+pull the second fan makes sure that the fist doesn't get the hot ait back already... hmmm... some scientific testing needed perhaps?

rough pros and cons with ducted towerheatsinks:

pro:

The fan is less likely to suck the heated air form the heatsink it is cooling

con:

the airflow will be slightly restricted since it is furhter for it to escape.

I think it would lower temps if done well . It would not allow air to excape until the air absorbs all of the heat of the fins . Should bring temps down a few degrees .

I'd say it depends.

With one fan, yes it would probably be a good idea to force air to only go in one direction.

However with a dual+ fan system on a heatsink I doubt it would make any difference at all. I'm pretty sure [and in all honestly this is what my common sense is telling me, but I could be wrong :\] Ait will travel in the path of least resistance, and while one fan is pushing and the other pulling, not much air would leak off the sides anyways. Those open side fins would then be utilized as Ivy said to just radiate heat passively.

I have no idea to be quite honest. My mom has a stock heatsink and I have an H80, so I can't test it :\