Is pure distilled water ok for wc loop ?

Nyt

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run pure distilled with a KillCoil in each loop and I have never had any problems. I usually replace tubes and water every 6 months and I've never seen any problems. I don't trust any type of dye or additive because they all seem to cause problems at one point or another.

One manufacturer cautions automotive grade anti-freeze may corrode the plastic or rubber seals in the wc loop.

Of course the manufacturer does - especially those that sell additives that ounce for ounce are apparently more valuable that oil :)

Naw, all joking and poking aside. Today's high grade AF mixtures are formulated to work with a wide range of disparate plastics, metals and rubbers without causing damage. I'm not claiming it's an optimal solution, but not one that I'm afraid of either. I especially like the pink antifreeze :)

Let me give you some of my experience.

Distilled water... had Alger deposits within a week.

Distilled water after cleaned with boiling distilled water. Same problem.

Silver kill coil with distilled water... fail in a week.

Pt nuke and distilled water... all OK until 3 month regular tube change.

Petra's tech pentosin blue and distilled water.... failed in a week.

Pt nuke and verious kinds of coloring with distilled water.. good for however long I needed it to last which is usually around 6 months I go and change the tubing.

That is what has worked for me. Good luck nut.

I heard that I should just get a KillCoil would that do the trick (I found a shop that has)?

That will do the trick. It works as a biocide and prohibits algae growth in the loop. If you dont want to spend the money a small slug of silver will do the same thing. I use plain distilled water with Zerex racing antifreeze and have no algae growth going on a year of use. In My wifes rig I am using Fluid XP EXT with no deposits or clogging of the blocks and it has been up for 16 months.

Silver kill coil with distilled water... fail in a week.

Just curious, what do you mean fail? What did distilled water and a kill coil do to your loop in a single week that was "fail"? I have been running this setup for awhile now and have not had a single problem ever, flushing about every 6 months. I use plain distilled water from the store also.

That will do the trick. It works as a biocide and prohibits algae growth in the loop. If you dont want to spend the money a small slug of silver will do the same thing. I use plain distilled water with Zerex racing antifreeze and have no algae growth going on a year of use. In My wifes rig I am using Fluid XP EXT with no deposits or clogging of the blocks and it has been up for 16 months.

the zerex solution hasn't failed me yet !

Just curious, what do you mean fail? What did distilled water and a kill coil do to your loop in a single week that was "fail"? I have been running this setup for awhile now and have not had a single problem ever, flushing about every 6 months. I use plain distilled water from the store also.

It failed the same way the others ones did. It failed in about a week.

It failed the same way the others ones did. It failed in about a week.

I have heard of pumps failing, tubes/fitting leaking, maybe even a res leak.....but distilled water and a kill coil failng???? :whoa: I guess that's just some crazy 1 in a million bad luck there :dunno:

Today's high grade AF mixtures are formulated to work with a wide range of disparate plastics, metals and rubbers without causing damage.

In clairification, I know there is the plastic overflow container and rubber hose in the automobile; Therefore, af can be used with these materials, but not with that product from the manufacturer.