Is pure distilled water ok for wc loop ?

Nyt

Hi guys

I just wanted to ask , is pure distilled fine to use in a wc loop without any additives ?

I dont really want to use coolant and I cannot find Biocide or Kill Coils in South Africa

What are the pros and cons of just using pure distilled water ?

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good choice is distilled water, because it is relatively cheap yet pure enough to use in a water cooling system. Distilled water will not deposit harmful minerals in your system, nor will it cause algal blooms because there are no living organisms present. It will not, however, corrode your water blocks because it is not de-ionized. There are various additives which may be added to the coolant in your system. Water wetter is great for increasing the cooling capacity of your system by altering the properties of water and making it even more thermally capacitive. Water wetter will also help reduce corrosion in your water cooling system. Other additives, such as UV-reactive dyes, may be added for aesthetic reasons.

I got this from here Clicky

Edited by wormy

Distilled water is the way to go.

How ever your going to need something to kill the bacteria that will get into your system which will grow into algae, like a killcoils

Hi guys

I just wanted to ask , is pure distilled fine to use in a wc loop without any additives ?

I dont really want to use coolant and I cannot find Biocide or Kill Coils in South Africa

What are the pros and cons of just using pure distilled water ?

Thanks

hi nyt, pure distilled water would be perfect by itself if it weren't for the bacteria and algae growth. a simple bacteria / algaecide for ponds from the local nursery would probably do the trick, be careful though, because a little bit goes a long way...but without it, your distilled water will get murky and will build up on you system components, not good...

and there's also the silver copper (killscoil) ionization process if you're not into the chemical solution...

Over the years, many tests have shown that 100% pure distilled water gives the best thermal transfer properties in a water cooling loop. Most any cooling additive that claims otherwise is just marketing hype. So for the most part you're adding additives to help keep the loop clean, and in some cases lubricated better than you would with only distilled water in the loop.

A silver killcoil is certainly one option, running your loop with pure distilled water without any thing else is another option (but may require more frequent flushing and cleaning of the loop. Or you could go really cheap and just add a couple tablespoons of racing grade anti-freeze.

About the only REAL threat of running pure distilled water relates to ambient temperatures - does it ever freeze inside of your house? :)

I heard that I should just get a KillCoil would that do the trick (I found a shop that has)?

KillCoil will do the same job as PT Nuke. As will any other peice of 99.9% silver (has to be very pure).

oh yeah :) so it doesn't work both ways? water with impurities boils faster?

well, water with no impurities will superheat and not actually boil until an impurity is added, and then it will basically flash to a boil and probably throw hot water all over.