i havnt really been able to find anything on the web that answerd this ???. i recently asked a buddy if he thought i should buy a 6870 to run games on eyefinity. he replied, "i would never ever ever never ever run a 6870 with your mobo, you would need to buy a 890fx board to take advantage of the hd6*** cards, if u dnt you will just be wastting your money.". so ive come to you all, to ask, is this true. if it is true, ill possibly be buying a 890fxmobo and a hd6*** card to run 3display eyefinity in the very near future. like i stated above, i wasnt really able to find anything that answered/explained this. so, if any of you could help me understand this, it would be greatly appreciated. thx guys:)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chipset has nothing to do with how well a graphics card will perform, let alone eyefinity. I don't know where your friend came up with this information, but it is not true.

Im with Capi on this . It will work fine . An 890FX mobo would only increase performance by a tiny bit . It will work perfectly on your board .

i havnt really been able to find anything on the web that answerd this ???. i recently asked a buddy if he thought i should buy a 6870 to run games on eyefinity. he replied, "i would never ever ever never ever run a 6870 with your mobo, you would need to buy a 890fx board to take advantage of the hd6*** cards, if u dnt you will just be wastting your money.". so ive come to you all, to ask, is this true. if it is true, ill possibly be buying a 890fxmobo and a hd6*** card to run 3display eyefinity in the very near future. like i stated above, i wasnt really able to find anything that answered/explained this. so, if any of you could help me understand this, it would be greatly appreciated. thx guys:)

The first thing you should do when someone says something like this would be to ask for a source (ie ask, "What makes you say that?" or something similar)

It sounds more like he is parroting something he has heard without really knowing what he is talking about.

Edited by Alexandre

Thats a Beastly card and will run on just about any board/CPU combo...and run very good. I have that exact same board you have and its a beastly board too although I have a 720BE CPU I;d still run that card and not look back...its a very nice board.

Your so-called friend doesnt know what the heck he;s talking about. As El_Captain said...you'll be fine if you want that card then get it. its pretty powerful and will do anything you want within reason....

Just like everyone else sd, your mobo chipset doesn't factor into this decision. But if you are set on running eyefinity, the 6870 will do it, but if you can stretch your budget just slightly, and your here in the states, then the 6950 gives you twice the vram, which eyefinity thrives on ;) After MIR that Sapphire 6950 is only $260, what were you planning on spending on your 6870?

Just like everyone else sd, your mobo chipset doesn't factor into this decision. But if you are set on running eyefinity, the 6870 will do it, but if you can stretch your budget just slightly, and your here in the states, then the 6950 gives you twice the vram, which eyefinity thrives on ;) After MIR that Sapphire 6950 is only $260, what were you planning on spending on your 6870?

stupid.gif

single 6870 = fail on eyefinity... single 6950 2gb, would be better but still barely good enough.

Like everyone else said, Chipset wont matter.

thanks alot 4 the info fellas. As far as a budget, id like to spend less than ~$400. I was also thinking about maybe just getting another 5770 to run xfire, but i would also need a new posu. How do u guys think a 5770x-fire setup would fair against a single 6950 or 6970? MercuryDoun, you really think that a 6950 would barely be able to handle eyefinity??? I currently have a dual 23"1080p display setup. My 5770(OCed to 885/1325) keeps the framerate Above ~25 when playing FarCry2 on ultrahigh settings(no AA). I do plan on getting a 3rd display, so im deff going to need to upgrade, i just need some help to pick out what would be best for me.

i dont know where u are, but im assuming ur in the usa.. arent 460s cheap over there?? couldnt u get 2 460s for less than 400??? and if u could.. they would rape everything... provided u got some sli hacked drivers for that motherboard.. just a thought i dunno much about that.. although i will be doing that with my board as i wanna run sli 580s

i dont know where u are, but im assuming ur in the usa.. arent 460s cheap over there?? couldnt u get 2 460s for less than 400??? and if u could.. they would rape everything... provided u got some sli hacked drivers for that motherboard.. just a thought i dunno much about that.. although i will be doing that with my board as i wanna run sli 580s

yup, im in the good ol' USofA. I dont really want to "hack" the mobo. I just figured that i should stay with an AMD GPU, since i have an AMD cpu, that way i can get the most out of AMD's technologies.