The Unofficial Battlefield 3 Thread

WhenKittensATK

Pre-order it and get the expansion pack for free!

...Pre-order...Expansion pack? What the ***Insert Profanity Here***? It isn't even out yet and it already has an expansion pack. That's actually kind of disgusting...

Pre-order it and get the expansion pack for free!

...Pre-order...Expansion pack? What the ***Insert Profanity Here***? It isn't even out yet and it already has an expansion pack. That's actually kind of disgusting...

It's called a preorder incentive with no extra cost. Are you really upset about free things?

Edited by Krazyxazn

It's called a preorder incentive with no extra cost. Are you really upset about free things?

It's the fact that I'm in no position to place a pre-order for it at the moment, and I'm automatically missing out on content when I DO get around to getting it.

It's not even released yet and there's already expansion material. That's my problem.

You can buy the expansion pack a month after it releases for $15. It's just like BC2's VIP program. Shame on DICE for giving their user base more content early, I wanted to wait months before I got my DLC :rolleyes: .

This system has been this way for a long time. Whether it be just preorder in-game items or other DLC. If they can boost pre-release sales in anyway, they are going to do it.

Edited by Krazyxazn

You can buy the expansion pack a month after it releases for $15. It's just like BC2's VIP program. Shame on DICE for giving their user base more content early, I wanted to wait months before I got my DLC :rolleyes: .

This system has been this way for a long time. Whether it be just preorder in-game items or other DLC. If they can boost pre-release sales in anyway, they are going to do it.

I think Danrik's point is that it's an expansion pack, it's something the developer is supposed to make after releasing the game and finding out whether people want more of the game or not. The way they're doing it now is more like developing the full game, then removing pieces of it and calling the removed parts an expansion pack so they can charge the player more money for less. Expansion packs aren't supposed to be something you develop before you release a game, simple as that.

If you can't see why people dislike the way these companies try to get more and more out of our wallets, that's fine. I don't really expect you to agree on this matter, I know you're a big company supporter and you don't feel like you need to stand up for your rights as the consumer because that's the stance you take every time these matters are brought up. So I'm just going to leave it at this. Be willing to accept that just because companies can do this kind of stuff, doesn't mean we have to like it, and try not to be so condescending towards others for disliking something a company does with your rolling eyes smilies.

The market is changing, it's not the early 2000s anymore. Expansion is just another word for DLC, in today's changing market. The consumer also has the right to not buy optional DLC.

Developers are planning ahead, thats why you are seeing extra content being released separately with games now (other than as a side income). Gamers want more new content released over their game's lifespan. DICE said it themselves when people starting hitting the level 22 (BC2: no more weapon unlocks), then their map packs which were just re-released maps (also free, but it was something).

Another current example is Tripwire Interactive, they got a game releasing later this year. However they got 3 different teams working on 3 different mods for their game. If they like the end result they will incorporate it into their official "paid" expansion. The teams will get paid if that happened. Does that sound evil too? They are making mods/expansions prior to launch as well. :rolleyes:

The only company that I can think of is Valve and Riot Games (that I still play games from) who continually releases new and free content. But even those two have in-game stores that use real money. Stop thinking '00's and start thinking '10's.

Like old man, live by the old rules,

Fought all the steps infront of the old fools,

Got me nowhere, Censored, it's a different time,

Censored '08, Censored thinkin' '09,

I take a look behind,

Censored can't form a line,

Like Kindergarten waitin' for the water fountain,

Standin' up, said, arms crossed, poutin',

Edited by Krazyxazn

what pre-order expansion pack are you guys talking about?

The only thing ive seen is the "back to karkand" map that you get free if your a vip member/pre-order. Listen, they did this with bc2, if you buy the game new then you will get the map. dont worry about it

The market is changing, it's not the early 2000s anymore. Expansion is just another word for DLC, in today's changing market. The consumer also has the right to not buy optional DLC.

Developers are planning ahead, thats why you are seeing extra content being released separately with games now (other than as a side income). Gamers want more new content released over their game's lifespan. DICE said it themselves when people starting hitting the level 22 (BC2: no more weapon unlocks), then their map packs which were just re-released maps (also free, but it was something).

Another current example is Tripwire Interactive, they got a game releasing later this year. However they got 3 different teams working on 3 different mods for their game. If they like the end result they will incorporate it into their official "paid" expansion. The teams will get paid if that happened. Does that sound evil too? They are making mods/expansions prior to launch as well. :rolleyes:

The only company that I can think of is Valve and Riot Games (that I still play games from) who continually releases new and free content. But even those two have in-game stores that use real money. Stop thinking '00's and start thinking '10's.

I am thinking '10's, and likewise they wont be seeing my dollar until all of their Dollar Loving Crap is in one package. I only buy GOTY games anymore since they're the full product for an acceptable price.

So much for getting this fairly soon after release

what pre-order expansion pack are you guys talking about?

The only thing ive seen is the "back to karkand" map that you get free if your a vip member/pre-order. Listen, they did this with bc2, if you buy the game new then you will get the map. dont worry about it

I see that Bad Company 2 keeps coming up in this. So let's look at the developer's way of things in 2010. Basically, their idea is to make a game full of bugs, release it, never fix the game up properly, still add a $6 skin pack and a $15 expansion pack, start on a whole new game while they're at it. Is that the 2010 way of doing things? Because that's what I see when I look at the battlefield series right now. Feel free to call me stubborn but you really can't argue with what I just said, it's a fact that they did it this way though, they already started on their next project while knowing their last one is still buggy.

Do I think that makes them evil? No, I don't know the developers, I don't even know any of their names, so I'm not going to start tagging them as evil or bad people because I don't know their reasoning or situation. What I do know is what I just stated about BC2, and that's why I'm not a happy customer, and that's why I probably won't be getting battlefield 3, like you already said, the customer has the option to not buy it as well.

Edited by Deathmineral