The Unofficial Battlefield 3 Thread

WhenKittensATK

Unofficial Paparazzi Footage Reveals Battlefield 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwcrd3dLk3Q

Haven't seen it yet myself, too busy playing World of Tanks lol (awesome game, I'll have to make a big thread on it since its got a learning curve).

EDIT: It looks like the footage they showed to GameInformers. Good stuff.

That is amazing graphics! I cannot wait to buy and play this game

My problem with gun recoil is this:

RNG: (random number generator) for those of you who aren't from an mmo background RNG refers to general randomness of something. So the problem I have with too intense of muzzle climb / barrel hopping is that its just simply random, and randomness doesn't always make for good gameplay, when you want to be able to rely on a specific ability (in this case a gun) (within specs of that ability) you want to be able to rely on it to X extent. When I go to shoot someone I want to know that I can (within reason and with adequate skill) lay down adequate on target shots. Without say 30% of them just flying off 50 feet off target without being able to control it.

Realism: So in response to my last statement you might say, "Well thats how it is in real life if you hold the trigger on an automatic weapon, your accuracy goes down the tubes", and sure thats definatley true (to an extend) and depending on the gun still not really true. For example an MP5 can accurately be shot fully automatically, due to a combination of things (in this case smaller bullets and gun design) anyway point is sure generally if you hold the trigger on a gun and put an entire clip down range your going to miss a lot. The problem with that though is, well in my opinion at least..it isn't fun. If I wanted my game to be as true to real life as possiblle (because thats what I found fun) I'd just join the military or find a job were I can do the things I do in BFBC2 in real life.

So I guess my point is: Realism in games definitely can and does make them more fun...but it kind of depends on which aspect is being pushed for realism. For example graphics, we always want our environments to look as realistic as possible, so the game is more immersive and we can really feel like were there. However on the other end of the spectrum we don't want to actually get shot with a bullet in real life when we do in a game, yea that'd be really realistic right? But thats why we play the game...so we dont actually have to get shot.

Anyway I know those are two very opposite ends of the spectrum but personally I feel that to a certain extent muzzle climb and general weapon firing realism should lean more towards the arcade side. Thats not to say I think all games should be like Call of Duty, personally I didn't enjoy that game BECAUSE of how unrealistic weapon firing was, any fully auto gun in the game you pretty much could just hold the trigger and point it at someone and 90% of your bullets would land on target no matter the distance.

I think BFBC2 did a good job with weapon realism, I hope it stays somewhat similar to that. Weapon firing realism keeps a lot of the nubs from doing well, simple things like burst firing to keep it more accurate is great, (hence I feel BFBC2 did a great job) you couldn't just hold the trigger like you can in CoD but at the same time your muzzle wasn't flying around wildly if you were trying to shoot full auto and do a bit of spraying.

Edited by Gr4vitas

I like a bit of variation and counter measures for my FPS games. In the olden days (CS, CS:S, DOD, DOD:S, RO, and etc). Guns had recoil that required you to burst fire. If you went full auto had you had to slightly pull down your mouse to counter-act the muzzle rise. As well as knowing the spray patterns of the weapon on full auto, if you didn't want to counter-act muzzle rise.

You still have to do this in modern games, but really not to the same degree as firing an automatics in DOD:S or RO. Even CoD has recoil and spray patterns, however you really don't need to counter-act any of them because overall the weapons are pretty easy to shoot and you usually don't engage in long range combat. If you took the Mp5k in Black Ops and held down a trigger on a guy all the way across a big map. You're going to miss a lot, but chances are you still might kill them. I can't say the same thing can be done in a game like CS:S though :(

I wouldn't call recoil/muzzle rise RNG. There is an underlying pattern to the way guns shoot. In RPG, RNG like crits are really RNG. You might have 25% critical hit and your next 5 spells could all crit or none crit at all. However if you total up all your spells over say an hour. Then it would really be close to that 25%, but in short term, you really won't notice it.

If all weapons in FPS game shot exact, I don't think there would be any purpose of having more than one gun. Like the weapons in MoH, they are as accurate as the sniper rifle. So what's the purpose of using a sniper rifle when someone with an automatic rifle can kill you long distance just as easily.

EDIT:

Just had a chance to watch that new video and I'm liking it. I've always wanted a RO style gameplay inside of BF environment. The trailer showed some suppression effects that RO's mod Darkest Hour uses. When bullets fly or land near you, your screen sort of blurs a bit. I hope this game has suppression tactics like Brother in Arms did. Made gameplay more interesting. Also wonder if that suppression effect will make it into multiplayer. The dragging teammates didn't (wouldn't have fit into current BF multiplayer gameplay anyways).

What's funny is as the soldiers are running across the rooftop every footstep throws up dirt :P It can't be that dirty. As bits and pieces of the building crumble, they disappear as the hit the ground as well. Nothing that other games don't do, but just some small attention to detail (stuff I would mostly would not notice anyways or really care about).

Edited by Krazyxazn

EDIT:

What's funny is as the soldiers are running across the rooftop every footstep throws up dirt :P It can't be that dirty. As bits and pieces of the building crumble, they disappear as the hit the ground as well. Nothing that other games don't do, but just some small attention to detail (stuff I would mostly would not notice anyways or really care about).

Remember, this is Pre-Alpha... that could change.. I hope they make it where pieces do not disappear, i hate when i notice that. its really not a huge deal, just makes it that much more realistic.

edit: double post fail

Edited by ShallowBay

Sweet new vid, i did notice the dirt kicking up like you're talking about. Who knows, that may be taken out. I do like the blur when being shot out, it makes me feel the flinch of the enemy first.

Also loved this comment lol:

Instead of a FPS with destructible buildings, I want one where you can build buildings. I'll call it Contractor of Duty. Or Buildingfield. Maybe Mason of Honer...