The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Avinexis

Guest_Jim:

I see that you have the same video card I do, EVGA GTX 570. What temperatures do you see while gaming?

So I called EVGA last night and spoke with some dude who decided it was better to talk down to me than comprehend what I was telling him. I complained about the thermal load and I got the award winning "it is within specification" comment. I felt honored he took the time to give me a custom response. I said just because falls within specification doesn't mean crap when the competition is running 20-30C cooler. He called BS. I said I hang out on PC forums and see load temps all the time. "Well if you come over to the EVGA forums you will see people with similar temps as yours." :fp:

Like wow, really dude. Anyhow to cut a long boring conversation short, I think this article best describes Customer Service.

Oatmeal - Why I'd Rather be punched in the testicles than call customer service.

Guest_Jim:

I see that you have the same video card I do, EVGA GTX 570. What temperatures do you see while gaming?

So I called EVGA last night and spoke with some dude who decided it was better to talk down to me than comprehend what I was telling him. I complained about the thermal load and I got the award winning "it is within specification" comment. I felt honored he took the time to give me a custom response. I said just because falls within specification doesn't mean crap when the competition is running 20-30C cooler. He called BS. I said I hang out on PC forums and see load temps all the time. "Well if you come over to the EVGA forums you will see people with similar temps as yours." :fp:

Like wow, really dude. Anyhow to cut a long boring conversation short, I think this article best describes Customer Service.

Oatmeal - Why I'd Rather be punched in the testicles than call customer service.

I'll install Skyrim see what I get. I don't usually look at temperatures on it because they never go too high. The fan will kick in at high speed, but I've got Afterburner setup with a fan profile that starts much lower than stock (I prefer the noise to a hot card). I think the highest I've seen is only in the low 70s while folding, and that's with the 250 directly beneath it also folding.

Will post a number after Skyrim installs and I reinstall the drivers (the 250 is getting underclocked for some reason, but I've not had an issue with the 570 with these drivers).

I really wish I knew what is so messed up with the Skyrim install from Steam. It just will not let a backup work. When the texture pack was released I had to redownload the entire game instead of just the 3 GB difference, and now, even though I made a backup with the texture pack, it is downloading 2 GB or so. There hasn't been a patch since the pack right?

Okay, I was hitting 62-63 C with Ultra settings and FXAA on. I had my 250 doing nothing and my side case fans off, so the only thing to affect my temps that might not affect yours is my fan profile. Still, that wouldn't have let me get as high as 71 C, let alone 81 C. Sorry Fogel, but something seems to be wrong with your 570.

Okay, I was hitting 62-63 C with Ultra settings and FXAA on. I had my 250 doing nothing and my side case fans off, so the only thing to affect my temps that might not affect yours is my fan profile. Still, that wouldn't have let me get as high as 71 C, let alone 81 C. Sorry Fogel, but something seems to be wrong with your 570.

Bleh - so after reading your post I went to EVGA's forums and did a search on temps and only 1 person had temps as high as mine (his was actually 92C) so that dude was full of complete BS. I will try calling EVGA again and if I get another self righteous prick I think I am going to write off EVGA as my default nVidia card company. I been a EVGA fanboy for awhile so it's time to switch anyway.

I messed around some more with MSI Afterburner and added some more points in my Fan Curve. Good result - I now average 66-69C. I peaked somewhere at 71C when I was recording a video with FRAPS. Was going to make a video showing the difference of stock graphics and HQ quality but I noticed my video rendering software and a couple others are now FUBAR and won't launch so I may have to reinstall W7 this weekend - YAY! :ouch:

I was glad I was able to find a way to lower my temps but I'm still not happy having to run MSI AB everytime I want to game. Not to mention I'm still not happy with my temps. I can't even OC this card with crappy temps like that BEFORE attempting to OC.

Thank you so much for taking the extra time to answer my question! I thought you were actively playing Skyrim so I thought the worst I was asking was to launch a temp monitoring tool.

No problem. Initially I wasn't expecting it would take as long as it did, but that's not something anyone could have predicted.

I keep Afterburner running all the time, in part because I have my 250 off-clocked (GPU and RAM are underclocked while the shaders are overclocked, since those are what folding and PhysX use) and that's how I control it. Also, I like the fan profile capability. I think I should clarify something though. When I said my fan profile wouldn't let me get as high as 71 C, I meant in Skyrim. With the stock profile the temps would not have increased from 62-63 C to 71 C I believe. I have gotten into the 70s before, but that was with a more extreme test. I can hit 71C, but Skyrim, I don't think, could do it for me.

Have you tried removing the stock TIM and reapplying it? Those stock TIM jobs sometimes aren't the best.

No - 1) never done it before and, 2) I want to see if EVGA will stand behind their product.

Tho I may go that route here shortly.

No problem. Initially I wasn't expecting it would take as long as it did, but that's not something anyone could have predicted.

I keep Afterburner running all the time, in part because I have my 250 off-clocked (GPU and RAM are underclocked while the shaders are overclocked, since those are what folding and PhysX use) and that's how I control it. Also, I like the fan profile capability. I think I should clarify something though. When I said my fan profile wouldn't let me get as high as 71 C, I meant in Skyrim. With the stock profile the temps would not have increased from 62-63 C to 71 C I believe. I have gotten into the 70s before, but that was with a more extreme test. I can hit 71C, but Skyrim, I don't think, could do it for me.

Well ya, you have a good reason to keep MSI AB up. I would use their forums to get more visibility but their mods appear to be as useless as the guy on the phone. Most help I saw was, "show us what GPU-Z displays" ...but the mod never commented back again.