Electic shock poll, have you ever been severely shocked?

Andrewr05

FUN WITH ELECTRICITY!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been severly shocked? (More than a jolt)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many times have you been severly shocked?

• 1-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11-15 ...
    • 16-20 ...
    • More than 20 times
    • I lost count... !!
    • I have never been electrocuted

I brought this up because I electrocute myself every effing time I use my "BeastCase" computer... EVERY TIME!

I've electrocuted myself wiring outlets, wiring lights, wiring ceiling fans even one time when I was washing the wall with a damp washcloth... I seem to have a knack for touching just the right spots to complete the electric path.

Also working on small engines that need to be manually shorted to be shut off can administer some pretty nice jolts as well...

:unsure:

Who else has electrocuted themselves?

Random polls FTW

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even one time when I was washing the wall with a damp washcloth...

:blink: My mind has been blown

Not due to electrocution mind you :P Never gotten more than a mild shock, and I don't plan on changing that either!

Been there done that. The last one was two weeks ago working on a machine at a Sonic. Transformer secondary winding blew because a coil shorted on a dispensing valve. In my haste I reached in to pull the 115v wires from the transformer with a leatherman and forgot to unplug the the main power cord! Good thing GFCI breakers are mandatory in restaurants now!

When I was 6 or 7 my sister and I thought it would be cool to try to vacuum water out of the bath tub. We both got a nice jolt and luckily mom pulled the plug out of the wall before anything bad happened. I used to like helping my dad work on his car when I was older until one day he motioned me to come over while he had one hand on the ignition coil. I returned the favor when I got my own car :biggrin:

My great grandfather was electrocuted for real though. He was a linesman at Montreal Light Heat and Power way back when and had a serious accident which ended with him losing all of his toes and one arm due to the electrical burns. Mom said he needed special boots to walk and had a prosthetic arm.

My parents tell me that when I was very young, I stuck my fingers in a socket. :whistling:

Other than very minor shocks to one hand with low voltage, I really haven't shocked myself. I always use one hand when working on electronics and I don't do any work on anything live unless absolutely necessary.

actually once when i was a kid i put my hand in the escalator ,where the side support rails go down ,my fingers got jammed there and the escalator was stopped like for half and hour because my fingers wer jammed in it,i remember the pain but i think i got a shock,still got the scars of that day. :biggrin:

I remember grabbing an electric fence as a child and it was interesting, the current actually lifted me off the ground.

Of course I've had nice high voltage zaps from working on cars (now those hurt).

and various mishaps with house outlets :D

Honestly I don't think I've had any kind of shocks from computer fiddling though :O

OK I feel that I need to share this one, as it's pretty good. I was 7 yrs old and mom had just bought a fancy new phone that came with an extra receiver piece. During the installation she asked "the phone guy" to remove the extra receiver and decided that I'd be the best owner for it. I immediately incorporated it into my playing routine until a few days later while pondering deeply I stumbled across this wonderful thought path: The phone is plugged in the wall. The TV is plugged into the wall as well. Quite obviously if I turn the TV on in mom's room and plug this receiver into the electrical socket in my room my sister will be able to hear me on the TV!!! I send my sister to the other room and tell her to signal me when she's ready and waiting by the TV tuned to channel 3 (I don't know why it was 3, just felt like that'd be the one channel I'd broadcast on). Grabbing the 2 wires coming out of the receiver I then complete the circuit and channel all 220V running through Romanian sockets! Naturally I got blasted across the room started bleeding from the nose while all my joints hurt. Mom rushed in to find a room smelling of toasted hair and a very confused me bleeding on the floor. It was that day that I learned to respect electricity and have managed to avoid all major jolts since, as I never forgot the sensation of being cooked a little from the inside.

From wall outlets to high voltage power supplies (I build amplifiers from time to time) I've kinda lost count. The tingling afterward is an odd sensation.