Deodorant problem

NikolaT

Odd question, but hell!

I sweat, a lot. It's not TOO intense but it smells when the deodorant is too weak or just bad. I've been trying out different brands for some time now and I can't find anything good. I tried normal deodorant, antiperspirant and a mixture of the two. I bought some STR8 deodorant and antiperspirant. The deodorant only works when I apply like half of the god damn bottle. If I don't apply a lot I get huge pit stains and smell. The antiperspirant, which claims to also be anti-odor, seems to only reduce the amount of sweat. But it doesn't work very well against odor, since the sweat that "breaks through" makes me smell REALLY bad. So I came to the conclusion to NEVER buy STR8 spray antiperspirant again. I tried like 3 NIvea deodorants. Some silver-molecules one, Sport and a standard everyday one. They all worked to some extent, but found myself stinking in the end. When I say in the end, I mean whenever total sweat time is more than 15 minutes. I could go on, but it's obvious as to what the problem is.

I need some good deodorant recommendations. Don't care about scent because I just want to stay odor-less (odor, in this case, refers to stink) and I have perfume. Whether it's a specific band or specific deodorant (antiperspirant/mix, too) or just some general tips, I need some pointers. In example, there is a more expensive (500 dinars against the standard 250-300) Gillette antiperspirant. Would the more expensive antiperspirant work? Anyways, thanks in advance.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try going to a dermatologist and see what they have for advice. You might have a condition that causes you to sweat more than normal. They do make prescription stuff for that kind of thing.

Thats kinda odd.. the fact that I've actually had to test out a bunch of different deodorant / antiperspirant stuff to find one that works for me too...

What worked for me

1. Keep the arm pit hair trimmed, mind you, shaving isn't required, just enough that you can see the skin easily (so the deodorant can contact the skin properly)

2. Don't coat on the deodorant / antiperspirant on, one stroke up, one down, and thats enough (yes i know how this sounds -.-)

3. ... there is no 3...

Personally the solo deodorant never really did it for me, now I use Degree Men Absolute Protection, its a combination of the two.. works for me, might work for you, dunno :/

Hope you get it worked out, I know its damn annoying...

I agree with Munkypoo7, trim your armpit hair very close or even shave it. This will decrease the amount of surface area for stinky bacteria to grow on and will decrease the amount of sweat your armpit retains. This will help solve the smell problem, and will make it easier for the antiperspirant to reach your skin.

I never had a big problem with smelly pits, but after I started trimming my armpit hair close I don't need to use stick deodorant and just use AXE now.

(don't use AXE its not very strong, but it does get my girlfriend all riled up in a good way :lol: )

These products are actually bad for you, because as someone said above they Block the sweat glands in the body. The body needs to sweat so it can get ridd of all the unnessesary toxins which build up, if you block the pores your just keeping them in and that causes more problems!

I strongly agree with the point that you should visit a dermatologist and ask for advice. Id suggest you make sure to eat your fruit and vegetabls, and drink lots of water, that is one of the best things you can do for your skin, this should also help clear up any skin related problems you may have (including exessive sweating) Hope this helps!

Edit: oh and trim the hair! you dont need to completely shave it though, thats just uncomfortable when it grows back, i dont know how the ladies manage :P

Edited by SenitaL

I'd definitely go to a dermatologist. They could give something to help with perspiring too much or give you a prescription grade deodorant. I have an issue where 95% of deodorants give me a rash.

These products are actually bad for you, because as someone said above they Block the sweat glands in the body. The body needs to sweat so it can get ridd of all the unnessesary toxins which build up, if you block the pores your just keeping them in and that causes more problems!

Not quite.

Going by the Rule of Palm, the area that antiperspirants are applied to makes up about 1-2% of your total body surface area. Your body is plenty capable of taking the trace amounts of urea and lactate found in sweat elsewhere, or waiting for the antiperspirant to wear off. You won't run into problems with antiperspirants unless you're constantly applying them and not washing, which can lead to a rash in the area. Washing your armpits when you shower takes care of that. The only other issues you would run into would be if you had some kind of sensitivity or allergy to the contents of the antiperspirant.

EDIT: I'm also doing just fine with Degree. Cheap and locally available.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

I use Degree (Men, obviously) and it works perfectly. My expensive Polo deodorant stick really sucks. So if you want a good yet cheap deodorant stick then I would recommend Degree.

+ 1 on degree...