Xbox 360 gfx VS PC gfx

00stevo

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if ATI drivers are far behind anything Niveda has, in theory ATI would be top dog if 9.9 CCC magic made everything perfect

i have actually owned a console before , moving to PC gaming was the best choice i ever made

i actually wish there was a 3rd company they had to compete with :)

well if ATI drivers are far behind anything Niveda has, in theory ATI would be top dog if 9.9 CCC magic made everything perfect

It's not that ATI drivers are behind...it's that SLI scales FAR better than Crossfire in pretty much every game in existence. That, and people insist that ATI cards suffer from "micro stuttering" that nobody seems to be able to reproduce...

i have actually owned a console before , moving to PC gaming was the best choice i ever made

i actually wish there was a 3rd company they had to compete with :)

i do not like that wish , we will be confused foot here foot there :wacko:

Nvidia has gotten really good about taking feedback applying it to their drivers thats what makes them better at this point. There was a time years ago when ATI did the samething. ATI has had alot of changes over the years and sadly their driver team was the one that suffered the biggest loss. Nvidia is down game developers throats to get the best performance before or at game launch. If ATI did the samething things could go alot better for them, time will tell on where they go over the next few months.

Myself and ccokeman who are testing new games that are coming out here in the next few weeks. We are still seeing the same trend where Nvidia is delivering better performance out of the gate. Same games are not even playable on ATI which is really sad from a consumer point of few its pretty frustrating to say the least. If you want to play certain games you have to turn alot of features off :(

Drivers are the reason consoles can do so much with so little hardware. Most people on this forum don't own monster rigs. Consoles deliver a CONSISTENT gaming experience with a fixed amount of money...hell, even the PS3 is a bargain compared to a modest non-gaming PC.

Don't delude yourself simply because you like PC gaming better. I do too but that doesn't mean I can't see why consoles are so damn attractive. I bought an Xbox 360 simply because I know I can buy any game and it'll work at 100% regardless of how old my 360 is. I spent $500 on my video card alone...and the 360 cost less than half that. There are many games that are simply better on the 360...just like many games are far better on the PC. It happens, but don't lie to yourself.

You're blind. The 4870X2 is gimped in so many games it's embarrassing. I should know, I own one too. I, however, do not ignore the pitfalls of my hardware simply because I happen to own it. The drivers continue to get better but that does not ease the frustration of getting ~5% better performance over a single 4870.

It's gimped but still an amazing card when you throw stress on it, I just worked on my buddies 260 and tried to play Crysis Warhead or Fallout 3 on the settings I run my 4870x2 at and it couldn't do it.

There's no doubt it my mind that the 260 still puts up like 65%ish of the 4870x2's performance (which I'm in agreement, the scaling needs some work) but the scaling works JUST well enough that I get 280 or above performance and that's all I ask for :).

I'm not too big on dual GPU cards (and after the nightmare I had with the 9800GX2, I'm surprised I ever picked up a dual GPU card again). I'm having a hard time parting with this for a 280 or 4890. I just love it too much.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

It's gimped but still an amazing card when you throw stress on it, I just worked on my buddies 260 and tried to play Crysis Warhead or Fallout 3 on the settings I run my 4870x2 at and it couldn't do it.

There's no doubt it my mind that the 260 still puts up like 65%ish of the 4870x2's performance (which I'm in agreement, the scaling needs some work) but the scaling works JUST well enough that I get 280 or above performance and that's all I ask for :).

I'm not too big on dual GPU cards (and after the nightmare I had with the 9800GX2, I'm surprised I ever picked up a dual GPU card again). I'm having a hard time parting with this for a 280 or 4890. I just love it too much.

I find that suprising since I was able to hold 79FPS on a GTX 260 at 1920x1200 VS 90FPS on a 4870x2 both cards were maxed out not sure what happened with your buddies card. I can play Fallout 3 at 2560 with max settings on a GTX 260 as well. Was the card a 216 or a 192 core?

If the systems were identical except for the cards I'd say there's something wrong with your friend's 260.

There are many games that are simply better on the 360...just like many games are far better on the PC. It happens, but don't lie to yourself.
Name one game that appears on both the 360 and PC that is better on the 360, and not simply because the developers were lazy in their porting (although even then, that usually comes down to controls/GUI, which technically can be remedied by using a gamepad).

...and not simply because the developers were lazy in their porting

Why include that? It's as valid a reason as any other...

Any game that you can get on the 360 that isn't even available on the PC instantly wins though. :P

Why include that? It's as valid a reason as any other...

Any game that you can get on the 360 that isn't even available on the PC instantly wins though. :P

It's not a valid reason because like I said, one could still play them with a gamepad. They're usually only considered "crappy ports" because developers don't take the time to fully support the keyboard/mouse. But if you have a gamepad, you can play the game just fine, and still enjoy the better graphics.

You second point is irrelevant because that's not the statement you initially made. You specifically stated that "There are many games that are simply better on the 360"...so again, I'm asking for an example.

Name one game that appears on both the 360 and PC that is better on the 360, and not simply because the developers were lazy in their porting (although even then, that usually comes down to controls/GUI, which technically can be remedied by using a gamepad).

+1

This is why some console games don't do so well on PC. Most PC gamers don't want to pay extra and get a controller. Games like Assassin's Creed and Prototype can be played just fine on a keyboard/mouse, but the controls are just more fluid on a controller from my experience.

I blame Microsoft for not letting the plug-n-play cable work like a wired controller. I blame Sony for not even supporting it at all, you have to jump through hoops of fire to get their controller to work on the PC. Even if you do it all right its still a 50/50 chance of it working.