Xbox 360 gfx VS PC gfx

00stevo

Really I have yet to see one that doesn't exclusively support Xbox 360 controllers. :angry2:

well there is that....lol I use a Saitek Commando gamepad I got on w00t for $10. and all the games I've played so far work fine. I think there is a program called "Xpadder" that lets you bind any keyboard keys to your gamepad, I here good things but never have had to use it myself

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but that never happened to me , is this what happens on old CRT displays , i never saw LCD with that problem before ..

LCD/CRT/DLP/Plasma makes no difference at all.

Lol, that's a complete lie. vsync winds up artificially capping your FPS, but in doing so, it actually takes processing power, so you often wind up with less fps and stuttering in intense situations. There is no discernible tearing on today's good gaming LCDs.

You can call it a lie but you're still absolutely wrong.

Tearing isn't a function of the monitor at all. It's got to do with synchronizing the framebuffer to the refresh rate you're running. You get tearing EXACTLY like that regardless of the game or monitor being used when you don't use vsync (and it gets worse the faster your hardware is). So call me a liar if you want but the hardware works how it works...you can't get past that.

It's impossible to play first person shooters when it's enabled.

That's not true at all. The slight input lag added by vsync is far outweighed by actually being able to see subtle effects and quick actions you'd lose with vsync off.

I'm honestly shocked that people play without vsync on. The tearing and dropped frames are more than enough to be immediately obvious and distracting...

I'm more shocked that people will defend their belief that vsync is useless by accusing others of lying while ignoring the facts. :(

Edited by Waco

Really I have yet to see one that doesn't exclusively support Xbox 360 controllers. :angry2:
Every game I've ever tried with a gamepad as worked fine with my Nyko AirFlo Ex, which is like a dual-analog PS gamepad, not an xbox one.

Tearing isn't a function of the monitor at all. It's got to do with synchronizing the framebuffer to the refresh rate you're running. You get tearing EXACTLY like that regardless of the game or monitor being used when you don't use vsync (and it gets worse the faster your hardware is). So call me a liar if you want but the hardware works how it works...you can't get past that.

That's not true at all. The slight input lag added by vsync is far outweighed by actually being able to see subtle effects and quick actions you'd lose with vsync off.

I'm honestly shocked that people play without vsync on. The tearing and dropped frames are more than enough to be immediately obvious and distracting...

I'm more shocked that people will defend their belief that vsync is useless by accusing others of lying while ignoring the facts. :(

I fail to see which facts you seem to think we're ignoring.

Vsync is only useful in older games where you are essentially guaranteed to have an FPS higher than your refresh rate at ALL TIMES when you have it disabled. But therein lies the problem. There's a reason why good game benchmarks show you a min, max and avg.

Average: Obviously the most important of the three numbers. If your average FPS (at the settings you want to play) with vsync off is below your monitor's refresh rate, then you should keep vsync off, as you will actually suffer an fps loss in most situations in said game.

Minimum: Even if your average FPS is above your monitor's refresh rate, if the minimum FPS is below, then you will notice more stuttering during those intense scenes with vsync on than when it's off. This is the main reason why tkrow and other first-person shooter players are not a fan of vsync even when they will generally have high FPS (an average above their FPS).

Maximum: Least important of the three numbers, but still worth looking at, because if the maximum is below your monitor's refresh rate, then vsync won't improve anything whatsoever. On the contrary, you'd only be hurting yourself. If the number is above the refresh rate, then yes, during those times, vsync would reduce any potential tearing. However, maximum FPS often occurs during idle settings, like when you're just admiring the scenery. Since very little movement will be going on during these instances of maximum FPS, there wouldn't be much, if any, tearing.

So there are the facts....now it's up to you whether you choose to ignore them or not.

I'm going out on a limb in saying that perhaps those who don't experience tearing are playing with settings that doesn't allow them reach their 60hz refresh rate, that'd be the only logical explanation and instance as to why vsync *off* would be smoother.

:withstupid:

So there are the facts....now it's up to you whether you choose to ignore them or not.

i would rather play at 50fps than 60fps with tearing, and that's the only "fact" that's important to me.

I think there is a program called "Xpadder" that lets you bind any keyboard keys to your gamepad, I here good things but never have had to use it myself

I have xpadder, great program, I got it when it was free. Use it to play wow and everything else on my xbox 360 controller.

I really don't see the point in this thread.

Well tbh,i didnt imagine my thread would throw up so many responses and opinions.Its all good though.Its good to share your opinions on things you know?

The problem with xpadder,is it doesnt simulate analogue movements.Like splinter cell for instance.I love creeping up on people,not running at them.Also games like juiced 2.I like to steadily steer round a corner,not go left/right etc etc to get straight.For me,FPS games are best on KB/M(though crysis is great on a 360 pad),and racing games/adventures etc are best on 360 pad.

The problem with xpadder,is it doesnt simulate analogue movements.Like splinter cell for instance.I love creeping up on people,not running at them.Also games like juiced 2.I like to steadily steer round a corner,not go left/right etc etc to get straight.For me,FPS games are best on KB/M(though crysis is great on a 360 pad),and racing games/adventures etc are best on 360 pad.

Oh, i understand what you mean. I wonder if they make a program to take any average joe gamepad and "trick" the system into thinking it's the Xbox controller.

Every game I've ever tried with a gamepad as worked fine with my Nyko AirFlo Ex, which is like a dual-analog PS gamepad, not an xbox one.

I fail to see which facts you seem to think we're ignoring.

Vsync is only useful in older games where you are essentially guaranteed to have an FPS higher than your refresh rate at ALL TIMES when you have it disabled. But therein lies the problem. There's a reason why good game benchmarks show you a min, max and avg.

Average: Obviously the most important of the three numbers. If your average FPS (at the settings you want to play) with vsync off is below your monitor's refresh rate, then you should keep vsync off, as you will actually suffer an fps loss in most situations in said game.

Minimum: Even if your average FPS is above your monitor's refresh rate, if the minimum FPS is below, then you will notice more stuttering during those intense scenes with vsync on than when it's off. This is the main reason why tkrow and other first-person shooter players are not a fan of vsync even when they will generally have high FPS (an average above their FPS).

Maximum: Least important of the three numbers, but still worth looking at, because if the maximum is below your monitor's refresh rate, then vsync won't improve anything whatsoever. On the contrary, you'd only be hurting yourself. If the number is above the refresh rate, then yes, during those times, vsync would reduce any potential tearing. However, maximum FPS often occurs during idle settings, like when you're just admiring the scenery. Since very little movement will be going on during these instances of maximum FPS, there wouldn't be much, if any, tearing.

That right there is a brilliant explanation on vsync.I'll keep that stuff im mind.

Oh, i understand what you mean. I wonder if they make a program to take any average joe gamepad and "trick" the system into thinking it's the Xbox controller.

It doesnt matter what program they make.When you press the 'w' key to move forward,you do just that.But with an analogue stick,you can steadily move from walking to run.Unless they make pressure sentitive keyboards(cringe) a 360 pad is always best.Thats the main advantage on a console controller for me.Anologue movement.

Edited by 00stevo