I'm over the iPod

InCrYsIs

Software wise I swear by Media Monkey. Very easy to use and very easy to get album covers as well especailly for an old fart like me who still listens to Uriah Heep, deep Purple, Boston and all the old rock stuff. You can connect your ipod to it as well.

I used to to use the itunes software when I had an iPod but since getting a Zen X-fi someone led me onto Media Monkey. Give it a bash

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zen could use the creative software or just windows explorer to drag the songs over but the Zune needs the software to send the songs over and usually groups all of them whereas I want to be selective with my songs.

http://www.zune.net/NR/rdonlyres/39C6C83E-...softwaremap.jpg

Is grouping really that bad? Left side = Artist, Middle = Album, Right Side = Songs.

the X-Fi is better than the nano because it has a tuner, microphone, and sd expansion. The x-fi has wifi though I think it only can do a few limited things with it (not as useful as the touchs) but then again, do you really need the internet on an mp3 player? video isn't even necessary and the internet, even less so. I think the wifi itself could be good for transferring files wirelessly but not for web browsing, mobile internet just isn't up to par with standard computer web browsing yet.

I'm assuming your not a podcast watcher, as having video and being able to watch all your podcasts when your not home is a pretty good deal. I stated this comment a few posts ago about Tuners. I personally think they are useless. How mp3 player owners would rather listen to annoying talk shows, advertising, and little to no music than their own music non-stop. I'm guessing you never found the urge to look something up online, that you didn't know while at a hotspot. Being able to get on the internet on any device is well worth it. Sure it might not be comfortable using if your trying to do something like writing a blog. But if you need to look up an address, movie showing time, or etc. It becomes really useful. More and more places are doing free Wi-Fi now. Hell even my city is moving to free Wi-Fi. I could even connect to it on my brother's computer if I wanted too (he has a wireless network card).

http://www.zune.net/NR/rdonlyres/39C6C83E-...softwaremap.jpg

Is grouping really that bad? Left side = Artist, Middle = Album, Right Side = Songs.

I'm assuming your not a podcast watcher, as having video and being able to watch all your podcasts when your not home is a pretty good deal. I stated this comment a few posts ago about Tuners. I personally think they are useless. How mp3 player owners would rather listen to annoying talk shows, advertising, and little to no music than their own music non-stop. I'm guessing you never found the urge to look something up online, that you didn't know while at a hotspot. Being able to get on the internet on any device is well worth it. Sure it might not be comfortable using if your trying to do something like writing a blog. But if you need to look up an address, movie showing time, or etc. It becomes really useful. More and more places are doing free Wi-Fi now. Hell even my city is moving to free Wi-Fi. I could even connect to it on my brother's computer if I wanted too (he has a wireless network card).

Yeah, I never really got into podcasts. As far as the mobile internet, I already have that on my phone which makes more prone to just sell the zune and get a bigger micro sd card and have my phone do everything. And I think we've both come to the agreement that the nano is a pointless mp3 player, and there are better alternatives for cheaper. I've thrown around the thought of getting the touch but I'd just double my phone's memory before I do that.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

so is a creative plus, which IMHO voids the point of a shuffle because you can see what's playing an navigate through your collection, and it beats the nano since it's so small. (especially the new fat nanos)

New fat nanos? I think you mean the 3rd generation nano. ;) Which may have been one of the dumbest iPod's I've ever seen Apple produce. The current nano (4th gen) is more reminiscent of the 2nd generation nano, which IMO was one of the best iPods.

I'm no audiophile, and to be honest I cannot tell the difference in sound quality between most media players. It sounds like music to me. I've seen posts about sound quality sucking on the devices themselves or just the standard Apple headphones... maybe it does, I don't know and can't tell. I bet most people don't notice the difference either. *shrug*

What drew me to the iPod (got my first one [nano] in 2008) was the simple interface and features it had on it. MP3 player, stopwatch, clock, and address book. I didn't need to carry anything else while jogging or at the gym (ha! neither of those has happened in a while). In addition to that, the sheer number of accessories for the different iPod models is insane. I can have one case for normal use, a tough one for working in the yard, an arm/hand/wrist band for exercising, and a waterproof one for the pool/diving. Not to mention all the car adapters, transmitters, and even stock in-dash units that support the iPod (as Verran mentioned). The list of accessories goes on from alarm clocks, boom boxes, TVs, entertainment systems, fans, grills, and more.

iTunes for Windows did suck, but with the increased suckyness of WinAmp, and QCD development taking forever iTunes started to grow on me. I have had better luck ripping CDs via iTunes than I had with CDex.

Just my $0.02.

One valid point mentioned above, is the sheer number of accessories. Regardless of the fact my Sony player sounds a country mile better than any iPod I've heard, I'm shafted for accessories, as only Sony really bother to make anything and charge an arm and a leg for the pleasure!

I just bought an I-Touch cuz I love these things B:)

Its really the only good touch screen MP3 player, so thats why I got it. It has the biggest screen of em all to I think(Touch screen mp3 players).

I just bought an I-Touch cuz I love these things B:)

Its really the only good touch screen MP3 player, so thats why I got it. It has the biggest screen of em all to I think(Touch screen mp3 players).

They're certainly well-made little things.

But most music players I've owned stay in my pocket, so touch screen would be redundant. I suppose plenty will have them out on a desk too though.

Whatever tickles your fancy.

I bet most people don't notice the difference either. *shrug*

I agree and I'd even go one further. I bet a fair number of people who claim to hear a difference really can't. Bashing is just too much fun to miss out on, and claiming that you can hear it makes you sound very elite :)

I agree and I'd even go one further. I bet a fair number of people who claim to hear a difference really can't. Bashing is just too much fun to miss out on, and claiming that you can hear it makes you sound very elite :)

Going from stock Zune headphones to HifiMan RE 2 IEM earphones and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm headphones. The change in sound is very noticeable. As for change in devices it really depends on both ends. My RE2 sound the same on my PC and Zune. While my DT 770 sound much better on the Zune than the PC.

Edited by Krazyxazn

It depends what sort of music you listen to really. If the iPods did indeed sound as good as others, I'd happily pay the premium (and work around iTunes) to own one. But the vast majority of people won't hear a difference using muddy ear buds and 128kbps MP3 files.

Shove in some clearer buds, a V0 VBR file that was from an album well mastered and you will definitely hear differences. I favour electronic and synthesised music and some tracks on the Creative Zen (which I thought was excellent quality) sounded really flat, to the point that I thought it was my headphones and bought some more! But alas, it was the player - most stuff sounds okay, but a few tracks make it worthwhile.

I have an 80GB ipod video...Plus I dislike apple :P

haha I want to put that in my sig, why don't you sell it??

New fat nanos? I think you mean the 3rd generation nano. ;) Which may have been one of the dumbest iPod's I've ever seen Apple produce. The current nano (4th gen) is more reminiscent of the 2nd generation nano, which IMO was one of the best iPods.

I'm no audiophile, and to be honest I cannot tell the difference in sound quality between most media players. It sounds like music to me. I've seen posts about sound quality sucking on the devices themselves or just the standard Apple headphones... maybe it does, I don't know and can't tell. I bet most people don't notice the difference either. *shrug*

What drew me to the iPod (got my first one [nano] in 2008) was the simple interface and features it had on it. MP3 player, stopwatch, clock, and address book. I didn't need to carry anything else while jogging or at the gym (ha! neither of those has happened in a while). In addition to that, the sheer number of accessories for the different iPod models is insane. I can have one case for normal use, a tough one for working in the yard, an arm/hand/wrist band for exercising, and a waterproof one for the pool/diving. Not to mention all the car adapters, transmitters, and even stock in-dash units that support the iPod (as Verran mentioned). The list of accessories goes on from alarm clocks, boom boxes, TVs, entertainment systems, fans, grills, and more.

iTunes for Windows did suck, but with the increased suckyness of WinAmp, and QCD development taking forever iTunes started to grow on me. I have had better luck ripping CDs via iTunes than I had with CDex.

Just my $0.02.

good points, and yeah I meant the 3rd Generation (realized that the new ones were skinnier after I posted that)

Though I'd imagine if people just bought more Zens in the beginning (or Zune's, Sansa's, Cowon's etc.) then that product would have all the accessories, it's only due to the fact that everyone dove on Ipods (for whatever reason) that the 3rd party manufacturer's make everything for them. The sickest thing ever is seeing that Creative makes Ipod Accessories for the Ipod, but I bet I'll never see in my lifetime, Apple making accessories for anyone else.

Edited by IVIYTH0S