I'm over the iPod

InCrYsIs

Yes, that's all very well, but if you make things too small, they are awkward to use with larger hands. Notice the Zen V+ having the world's most awful joystick? It's great if you know no different, but hardly anyone is unfamiliar with the iPod navigation, and when compared to that, the Zen is a joke.

Not to mention the stick was a bit un-responsive at times. It wasn't just mine either apparently. Amazing battery life on them though, can't fault that at all. But it's been out over 3 years now ... it's old!

yeah they do need a refresh, but they rock for being super small players *that you can still see what's playing*, I'd say they are definitely a better choice for those wanting a really small player over a shuffle because you can still see what you're going through. Ipod navigation or not, if you can't see what songs you're going through, what's the point of the ease of use haha. I have more beef with the shuffle than the nano, but the nano should be as small as the V Plus by now and they should get rid of the shuffle like altogether

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah they do need a refresh, but they rock for being super small players *that you can still see what's playing*, I'd say they are definitely a better choice for those wanting a really small player over a shuffle because you can still see what you're going through. Ipod navigation or not, if you can't see what songs you're going through, what's the point of the ease of use haha. I have more beef with the shuffle than the nano, but the nano should be as small as the V Plus by now and they should get rid of the shuffle like altogether

But as has been mentioned before, you can't see in your pocket :lol:

As for the shuffle, the key to that one is in the name :rolleyes: I suspect the vast majority of people play music in one of two ways:

1. Shuffle all

2. Specific album

Neither of these are really hanging on the need to see exactly what is playing (asides from initial selection), how many seconds left etc. Put quite simply, if interface required something that people desperately wanted, Apple would already include it. Apple are market leaders for more than just a good-looking player; they are by far the easiest to use (apart from iTunes though - I do have a few personal gripes there).

What's the point of ease of use? Everything! I think you have missed the point with mass produced consumer electronics here.

As for the shuffle, the key to that one is in the name :rolleyes: I suspect the vast majority of people play music in one of two ways:
  1. Shuffle all
  2. Specific album

Exactly.

It plays your music in your pocket.

Merely load the iPod with music that you know you like.

touch, nano and shuffle are all for different uses/times...

But as has been mentioned before, you can't see in your pocket :lol:

1. Shuffle all

2. Specific album

Neither of these are really hanging on the need to see exactly what is playing (asides from initial selection), how many seconds left etc. Put quite simply, if interface required something that people desperately wanted, Apple would already include it. Apple are market leaders for more than just a good-looking player; they are by far the easiest to use (apart from iTunes though - I do have a few personal gripes there).

What's the point of ease of use? Everything! I think you have missed the point with mass produced consumer electronics here.

Yeah but with the screen, the player doesn't HAVE to be used as a shuffler. The V plus can shuffle just like ANY other mp3 player, why should you have to buy a player with so much limitation.

Exactly.

It plays your music in your pocket.

Merely load the iPod with music that you know you like.

touch, nano and shuffle are all for different uses/times...

The V plus could play music in your pocket too, it just so happens that if you want to take it out and go to a specific song you can. On the Shuffle, have fun going through all your songs.

QFT :withstupid:

Not to mention, has anyone else noticed (sarcasm) that the screens turn themselves off after a short time anyway? :lol:

Yeah, way to be Apple and have 3 different products instead of just making one do it all unit (the Iphone), they could ATLEAST combine the Shuffle and Nano and just make a smaller Nano.

An Ideal lineup:

Iphone

Ipod Touch

Super Small Ipod Nano

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yeah but with the screen, the player doesn't HAVE to be used as a shuffler. The V plus can shuffle just like ANY other mp3 player, why should you have to buy a player with so much limitation.

The V plus could play music in your pocket too, it just so happens that if you want to take it out and go to a specific song you can. On the Shuffle, have fun going through all your songs.

Yeah, way to be Apple and have 3 different products instead of just making one do it all unit (the Iphone), they could ATLEAST combine the Shuffle and Nano and just make a smaller Nano.

An Ideal lineup:

Iphone

Ipod Touch

Super Small Ipod Nano

Seriously - you don't get it, do you? I'm going to pretend you didn't just say all that ...

Listen: the Zen V+ is NOT the perfect player. If you want specific songs, make a playlist!

You're seriously knocking Apple for providing TOO much choice? Really?

Yes, apparently, he is! :lol:

You're seriously knocking Apple for providing TOO much choice? Really?

I'll admit openly that I hate Apple, but I wouldn't knock them just for the sake of knocking them. This is a legitimate issue they need to sort out.

This statement is almost like saying, why make a Jeep that get's 400mpg, can go really fast, and can traverse any type of terrain instead of a few different models that excel at one thing and not another.

Seriously - you don't get it, do you? I'm going to pretend you didn't just say all that ...

Listen: the Zen V+ is NOT the perfect player. If you want specific songs, make a playlist!

Yes, apparently, he is! :lol:

I'm not saying the V+ is the perfect player, I just think that Apple should get rid of the shuffle and have one small Nano that's more portable. Having both around is ludicrous. The V+ is just the best of both worlds, that's why I keep bringing it up.

On the same token, I think a 8GB X-FI is stupid, because you can get a 8GB V+ that is smaller. They ought to make the X-FI in 16GB and 32GB only

Yup.

For every item Apple makes (players that is), Creative also make one to rival it. So do Sony I think.

Yeah but no one looks at the other players. Most people just think Ipod, and then they get to a store and see maybe a Sansa or something and think that is all the alternatives that are around, when there are alot better players out there. (not knockin Sansa's either, they just wouldn't be my first pick)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'm happy with my Ipod Touch. I just got it and already love it.(Took me a few mins to figure out how to get my music video on the Touch with Itunes, had to convert it into an Touch compatible video thing).

Can't wait to get more music on it, loving the speakers.(The external ones).

This thing also has a nice battery life, compared to the Zune.(Zune-36hrs music and 4hrs video, Touch - 36hours music and 6hrs video).

I'll admit openly that I hate Apple, but I wouldn't knock them just for the sake of knocking them.

...You sure? I dislike them for genuine reasons. Your reasoning is ... well, yeah.

This is a legitimate issue they need to sort out.

This statement is almost like saying, why make a Jeep that get's 400mpg, can go really fast, and can traverse any type of terrain instead of a few different models that excel at one thing and not another.

What issue? Having different players? The Nano is great for commuters for example. The touch is great for people who sit down and listen to music at their desks for example. The shuffle is perfect for those who like to listen to music while being active. The regular iPod is perfect for people who plug their MP3 player into their car stereo etc, and offers a bulk storage solution.

Apple have catered for all needs. Not just your personal preference. They lead the field in each of their classes. And those 4 items (touch, regular, nano, shuffle) all have distinct markets - this is a fact, and is not open for dispute. Much in the same way you have different classes of car, even if they all do more or less the same thing (and they do).

I'm not saying the V+ is the perfect player, I just think that Apple should get rid of the shuffle and have one small Nano that's more portable. Having both around is ludicrous. The V+ is just the best of both worlds, that's why I keep bringing it up.

It's not ludicrous. Why is it ludicrous? Qualify that statement - bearing in mind my above example of joggers/gym enthusiasts and people commuting to work. The V+ is not the best of both worlds. I can't run with it, without needing to put it somewhere and running shorts have one pocket: for keys.

On the same token, I think a 8GB X-FI is stupid, because you can get a 8GB V+ that is smaller. They ought to make the X-FI in 16GB and 32GB only

They released it with a memory card slot to plug in up to 16GB of SD memory. It's not simply a rehash, as you would suggest it is. Creative also reportedly changed the components used to up the sound. I thought you knew about these products?

Yeah but no one looks at the other players. Most people just think Ipod, and then they get to a store and see maybe a Sansa or something and think that is all the alternatives that are around, when there are alot better players out there. (not knockin Sansa's either, they just wouldn't be my first pick)

Most people do think iPod, you are correct. When people want an iPod, they go to an Apple store or a big retailer and buy one.

Enthusiasts look at other products. Apple cares NOT for that niche market, which YOU fall into. When will you realise this? What you think is a good idea and should be done, clearly isn't as good as you think.

You're suggesting Apple are doing something wrong with their product lineup. Would you like to retract these comments? Because I'm pretty sure the financial statements of Apple's last 5 financial years will quash anything you are suggesting. Sorry, but it's true, despite my lack of love for Apple. They simply cannot put a foot wrong.