Sign in to follow this  
InCrYsIs

I'm over the iPod

What the heck is wrong with making several different types of iPods or any other MP3 player? Seriously, is it that big of a deal? If companies didn't offer choice, you'd just wine and complain about that. Do you want choice, or don't you?

Every choice isn't designed for you. People have different needs, different wants, and different desires. Some don't want touch screen, some do. Some want a screen, some don't. Some want large controls, some want simplicity. There are options so companies can reach out to as many customers as possible.

I enjoy using both my iPod Nano (2nd gen) and my iPhone to listen to music. My friend enjoys his little thumb-drive looking thing that has 3 buttons and a 1 line screen on it. Another friend enjoys his Zune. Do I care what they choose to use? No. And you should worry less about what anyone else chooses to use.

The iPod will continue to be synonymous with MP3 player until a company can successfully promote a decent product. Microsoft stands a good chance of that when the Zune HD, if they play their cards (and their wallet) right.

*edit* Silverfox said it all before me. :lol:

The shuffle is actually a great option, not for me though cuz I like to see my music ;)

It is useful because its so tiny, you can just put it onto your belt/pants/shirt and run around with it and it won't feel heavy.

I agree with Silverfox, variety is great. If it didn't exist I don't think the Touch would exist because there would be 1 Nano that was small and had a screen, like IVI said before. That would blow.

...You sure? I dislike them for genuine reasons. Your reasoning is ... well, yeah.

What issue? Having different players? The Nano is great for commuters for example. The touch is great for people who sit down and listen to music at their desks for example. The shuffle is perfect for those who like to listen to music while being active. The regular iPod is perfect for people who plug their MP3 player into their car stereo etc, and offers a bulk storage solution.

Apple have catered for all needs. Not just your personal preference. They lead the field in each of their classes. And those 4 items (touch, regular, nano, shuffle) all have distinct markets - this is a fact, and is not open for dispute. Much in the same way you have different classes of car, even if they all do more or less the same thing (and they do).

It's not ludicrous. Why is it ludicrous? Qualify that statement - bearing in mind my above example of joggers/gym enthusiasts and people commuting to work. The V+ is not the best of both worlds. I can't run with it, without needing to put it somewhere and running shorts have one pocket: for keys.

They released it with a memory card slot to plug in up to 16GB of SD memory. It's not simply a rehash, as you would suggest it is. Creative also reportedly changed the components used to up the sound. I thought you knew about these products?

Most people do think iPod, you are correct. When people want an iPod, they go to an Apple store or a big retailer and buy one.

Enthusiasts look at other products. Apple cares NOT for that niche market, which YOU fall into. When will you realise this? What you think is a good idea and should be done, clearly isn't as good as you think.

You're suggesting Apple are doing something wrong with their product lineup. Would you like to retract these comments? Because I'm pretty sure the financial statements of Apple's last 5 financial years will quash anything you are suggesting. Sorry, but it's true, despite my lack of love for Apple. They simply cannot put a foot wrong.

If you think my reasons are whack only because you don't agree (and may well be trying to further justify your own purchase)

I'm not saying the Ipod Classic or Touch have to go anywhere, there just isn't any reason to have a shuffle when Apple could just put out one smaller Nano.

The fact is that there ought to be three categories. Video/Media (Touch), Mass Storage(Classic), and Portability(Nano).

I didn't say the V+ was superior technologically to the X_FI, I simply meant that an 8GB X-FI is dumb. They should remake the V series even smaller and with better internals.

The V+ is perfectly fine for the active, If any other company gave a damn about any mp3 player other than an ipod, there would be a large number of ways to bind the player to you, whether it be shirt clip or armband or possibly more.

Just because Apple was succcessful the last 5 years doesn't make them right. That's like saying that Microsoft makes billions and billions of dollars so their software is absolutely perfect and they shouldn't change it. (Specifically it's stupid for them to have multiple versions of windows like Ultimate, Home Premium, Home Basic)

What the heck is wrong with making several different types of iPods or any other MP3 player? Seriously, is it that big of a deal? If companies didn't offer choice, you'd just wine and complain about that. Do you want choice, or don't you?

Every choice isn't designed for you. People have different needs, different wants, and different desires. Some don't want touch screen, some do. Some want a screen, some don't. Some want large controls, some want simplicity. There are options so companies can reach out to as many customers as possible.

I enjoy using both my iPod Nano (2nd gen) and my iPhone to listen to music. My friend enjoys his little thumb-drive looking thing that has 3 buttons and a 1 line screen on it. Another friend enjoys his Zune. Do I care what they choose to use? No. And you should worry less about what anyone else chooses to use.

The iPod will continue to be synonymous with MP3 player until a company can successfully promote a decent product. Microsoft stands a good chance of that when the Zune HD, if they play their cards (and their wallet) right.

*edit* Silverfox said it all before me. :lol:

But why not have a player that eliminates the need for two portability lines

Again, I don't see what Apple did so great that has me having to walk around with my Creatives or any other player and having people ask if it's an Ipod. That's probably one of the most annoying things ever. They didn't invent the mp3 player.

The shuffle is actually a great option, not for me though cuz I like to see my music ;)

It is useful because its so tiny, you can just put it onto your belt/pants/shirt and run around with it and it won't feel heavy.

I agree with Silverfox, variety is great. If it didn't exist I don't think the Touch would exist because there would be 1 Nano that was small and had a screen, like IVI said before. That would blow.

Yeah but the fact is that the Nano can be just as tiny

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I you rhink my reasons are whack only because you don't agree (and may well be trying to further justify your own purchase)

I'm not saying the Ipod Classic or Touch have to go anywhere, there just isn't any reason to have a shuffle when Apple could just put out one smaller Nano.

No, your reasons are wrong, because Apple's market share says so - not me. Well, yes me, but then of course I'm right.

The fact is that there ought to be three categories. Video/Media (Touch), Mass Storage(Classic), and Portability(Nano).

There's no fact here - just your opinion. Hence your use of the modal auxilliary 'ought to'. Fact and modals don't mix well. It's like saying "Yes I didn't".

I didn't say the V+ was superior technologically to the X_FI, I simply meant that an 8GB X-FI is dumb. They should remake the V series even smaller and with better internals.

It's not dumb for people who want to expand their player with their own large video libraries, is it? Creative created a new line to do something Apple didn't.

The V+ is perfectly fine for the active, If any other company gave a damn about any mp3 player other than an ipod, there would be a large number of ways to bind the player to you, wheter it be shirt clip or armband or possible more.

You are reinforcing the point here, bejesus! Armband, shirt clip. Additional purchase. Shuffle? Nope - clip built in.

Noticing a theme yet?

Just because Apple was succcessful the last 5 years doesn't make them right. That's like saying that Microsoft makes billions and billions of dollars so their software is absolutely perfect and they shouldn't change it. (Specifically it's stupid for them to have multiple versions of windows like Ultimate, Home Premium, Home Basic)

It makes them 100% right. If you can lead a market and create the largest market share, you are a trend setter: it is right, as it makes the most money. I can't believe you are disputing that fact. If it wasn't 'right', why does the market not reject the idea?

Multiple versions of windows allows people to only pay for what they need. Not everybody needs everything.

Because then you totally alienate one whole arm of your target audience. That'd be like Ford deciding not to make trucks in large sizes any more. Bad move.

Again, I don't see what Apple did so great that has me having to walk around with my Creatives or any other player and having people ask if it's an Ipod. That's probably one of the most annoying things ever. They didn't invent the mp3 player.

Nobody is saying they did invent it - you just have a chip on your shoulder about it.

Because the two lines target two different groups. If you eliminate one product, you disregard the needs of paying customers. A point that you keep missing entirely.

...you just have a chip on your shoulder about it.

This summarizes this entire discussion, IMO. IVI, you're arguing a bunch of stuff that doesn't even matter. Who cares if they offer 35 versions of iPod? Why does that matter? If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's seriously a stupid thing to argue this much about. Not all people are you. Choice is good. You're making it very obvious that you're just bitter at Apple in general and looking for any point to hit them on. Are you going to seriously sit here and argue that you know more about the right market offerings than the whole team over at Apple? Just agree to disagree and realize that there's probably a reason they are kicking so much tail.

Who cares if a few people call your V+ an iPod? People call tissues Kleenex. There's all sorts of examples of this in society. How can you even fault Apple for this? "How dare you make a product so successful that it defines a market!?"

Who cares if a few people call your V+ an iPod? People call tissues Kleenex. There's all sorts of examples of this in society. How can you even fault Apple for this? "How dare you make a product so successful that it defines a market!?"

Oh My God, how could you do this to us :(

LOL :lol:

The iPod will continue to be synonymous with MP3 player until a company can successfully promote a decent product.
Exactly.

Kleenex

Coke

etc.

They're called Proprietary Eponyms.

It doesn't mean the product is any better (thats all a mater of opinion) it just means that the promotion/advertisement of such a product has succeeded.

alright I'll drop everything, but I rarely use proprietary eponyms. like Xerox for a copy, kleenex for a tissue, or coke/pepsi for a cola flavored soda. I say what I see in front of me, if that is indeed a kleenex tissue then so it shall be called.

I still will always be bitter with correcting people when it comes to my Zen, Zune or whatever device I am using. I still have yet to see how they "revolutionized" anything but I digress. I'll let Apples be Apples, and let the masses fall victim to their BS. I don't care anymore <_<, I was just trying to say that just because a company is profiting like wildfire isn't necessarily that they are good, it may be that the people buying may simply be ill-informed.

You'll all be happy that I'm packing it up in this thread, and I'll be mindful of your opinions but I have not changed my stance in the least. (and sorry for offending anyone) Though it was fun arguing with you all. :lol: no hard feelin's

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'll let Apples be Apples, and let the masses fall victim to their BS. I don't care anymore <_< , I was just trying to say that just because a company is profiting like wildfire isn't necessarily that they are good, it may be that the people buying may simply be ill-informed.
As will I, I completely agree with you.

:)