Sign in to follow this  
InCrYsIs

I'm over the iPod

I bought a Cowon iAudio X5L because it has (had?) the best sound quality, can run Rockbox firmware and therefore: support many MANY formats including several lossless, has a working 5 band parametric EQ that I can save an unlimited number of profiles for my different headphones...

I think the playback time is something like 25-40 hours, it's certainly enough to not need a charge for long-haul journeys (and while you're away, AND the return journey)...

It has a 4-way joystick thing and a few side buttons, and has a folder/file structure, USB mass storage device...

Rockbox makes a simple DAP more complicated in all the right ways :)

I really hate the iPod interface, iTunes software, and am not overly convinced by the iPhone/iTouch interface either

I bought a Cowon iAudio X5L because it has (had?) the best sound quality, can run Rockbox firmware and therefore: support many MANY formats including several lossless, has a working 5 band parametric EQ that I can save an unlimited number of profiles for my different headphones...

I think the playback time is something like 25-40 hours, it's certainly enough to not need a charge for long-haul journeys (and while you're away, AND the return journey)...

It has a 4-way joystick thing and a few side buttons, and has a folder/file structure, USB mass storage device...

Rockbox makes a simple DAP more complicated in all the right ways :)

I really hate the iPod interface, iTunes software, and am not overly convinced by the iPhone/iTouch interface either

Yeah I think the next players I want to check out are the Cowons.

I bought an 8GB Zune to replace my large 30 GB one I sold. I love this thing. I plug it into my Pioneer deck with no problems and I like the Zune software way more than Itunes.

I bought an 8GB Zune to replace my large 30 GB one I sold. I love this thing. I plug it into my Pioneer deck with no problems and I like the Zune software way more than Itunes.

I like the Zune 30GB you sold me, but I'm not sure if I can deal with having to use this software everytime I want to interface with the unit. My old Zen's could drag and drop OR use the software. If I want to add a new song in really quick I'd always drag and drop, plus it was nice being able to organize the file/folder structure the way I wanted.

I can't believe Microsoft is still selling Zunes...or that people actually buy them. The software sucks more than iTunes...

I can't believe Microsoft is still selling Zunes...or that people actually buy them. The software sucks more than iTunes...

You mind explaining the reasoning behind that statement.

That's pretty amazing. How much battery life would it get on V0 mp3s? Just to compare if playing only lossless would dramatically cut battery life or not. Zune and software is locked to first party only. So I can't use Rockbox :(. No one has found a way to hack it yet and possibly won't ever.

Edited by Krazyxazn

The "fat" Nanos weren't fat at all. They were just as thin as current and previous Nanos, it's just that they were wider. I thought the design was odd at first as well but after using one it didn't feel weird anymore. Granted, the new design is far more conducive for video, but stop calling them fat Nanos since they were anything but.

The "fat" Nanos weren't fat at all. They were just as thin as current and previous Nanos, it's just that they were wider. I thought the design was odd at first as well but after using one it didn't feel weird anymore. Granted, the new design is far more conducive for video, but stop calling them fat Nanos since they were anything but.

It wasn't fat, it's just big boned. :D

i didn't mean fat like depthwise, I mean think as in wide. A Creative V is a little thicker depthwise but much smaller in both height and width.

i didn't mean fat like depthwise, I mean think as in wide. A Creative V is a little thicker depthwise but much smaller in both height and width.

The Zen V+ is a lot thicker than a Nano when it's in your hand. Also, as good as Creative units can sound, the Zen V+ build quality is seriously lacking. It creaked like mad and the buttons were dodgy.

The Zen V+ is a lot thicker than a Nano when it's in your hand. Also, as good as Creative units can sound, the Zen V+ build quality is seriously lacking. It creaked like mad and the buttons were dodgy.

ya, I wish they made their players with stronger materials, but the V+ is a lot smaller than the nano even though it's deeper.

32069535-2-300-DT1.gif

that is the 2nd generation but you can atleast get an idea with the height assuming the new nano is the same height, just with a bigger screen

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yes, that's all very well, but if you make things too small, they are awkward to use with larger hands. Notice the Zen V+ having the world's most awful joystick? It's great if you know no different, but hardly anyone is unfamiliar with the iPod navigation, and when compared to that, the Zen is a joke.

Not to mention the stick was a bit un-responsive at times. It wasn't just mine either apparently. Amazing battery life on them though, can't fault that at all. But it's been out over 3 years now ... it's old!