Mac VS Pc

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats peoples obsession with having a Virus-proof OS? Such a thing will never exist. There are flaws in EVERY operating system.

I have not run AV on my computers for over 3 yrs now. Hell, I dont even run the Windows firewall on most of them. All that protects me is my Netgear DG834G, Spybot S&D and AdBlock. And in those 3yrs not ONE of those machines has had a virus, spyware, or any other form of system breach.

As long as you are a smart browser/user, and dont click any link/attachment some chump sends you, you will be fine. Be it Windows, Linux or OS X.

The whole Idea that OS X wont get a virus, while windows will, is BS. I am sure that if you got the kind of stupid user that got a virus on windows, they would probably get one on OS X too. Perhaps not as quickly, but I am sure they would manage.

As the smith said, if you really do believe that the OS is the main problem in getting viruses, then get Linux. Thats free.

Whats peoples obsession with having a Virus-proof OS? Such a thing will never exist. There are flaws in EVERY operating system.

I have not run AV on my computers for over 3 yrs now. Hell, I dont even run the Windows firewall on most of them. All that protects me is my Netgear DG834G, Spybot S&D and AdBlock. And in those 3yrs not ONE of those machines has had a virus, spyware, or any other form of system breach.

As long as you are a smart browser/user, and dont click any link/attachment some chump sends you, you will be fine. Be it Windows, Linux or OS X.

The whole Idea that OS X wont get a virus, while windows will, is BS. I am sure that if you got the kind of stupid user that got a virus on windows, they would probably get one on OS X too. Perhaps not as quickly, but I am sure they would manage.

As the smith said, if you really do believe that the OS is the main problem in getting viruses, then get Linux. Thats free.

Agree. I haven't gotten a single virus since I started using Vista 64 and Win 7 64. Even then with Win Xp Pro 32, I didn't get viruses. If your getting viruses on a Windows machine your doing something wrong. Like clicking on "You won a free X" ads. I always hear Mac users saying "have fun with all your viruses." When I haven't had a single virus in years.

Agree. I haven't gotten a single virus since I started using Vista 64 and Win 7 64. Even then with Win Xp Pro 32, I didn't get viruses. If your getting viruses on a Windows machine your doing something wrong. Like clicking on "You won a free X" ads. I always hear Mac users saying "have fun with all your viruses." When I haven't had a single virus in years.

The reason macs are "safer" isn't because the os is more secure or anything

Its because, apple macs make up something like 4.6% of all commerically owned computers in the world. (Im guessing domestic isn't far off that)

Another 5.4% is made up of all the other small OS's, linux/unix etc

If you were a hacker/programmer and you wanted to spend your time making keyloggers or virus' to take vital passwords and information, would you start programming a spyware/virus for macs or pcs?

The answer is obviously PCs, with around 9 times the amount of computers to attempt to infect, you'll have a much higher success rate

This is why macs are safer, its not worth hacker's time

(and I believe there was an article I read not that long ago that showed a hacker/programmer can breach and infect an apple mac just as easily as a pc)

windows or linux based netbook?

Linux for me. I have an Asus eee pc 1000 that I just put the Ubuntu Netbook Remix on. It came preinstalled with a version of linux that I didn't like so I changed it out.

i never said it was virus proof i just understand that it has a very secure os which means its alot safer then windows and its counterparts and if you look at the rig in my sig if i wanted to game i'd still have it. games are fun but dont interest me that much anymore which is why all i need a pc for is internet/video photo etc.

i never said it was virus proof i just understand that it has a very secure os which means its alot safer then windows and its counterparts and if you look at the rig in my sig if i wanted to game i'd still have it. games are fun but dont interest me that much anymore which is why all i need a pc for is internet/video photo etc.

This is where I'm a little confused. You already have a computer that can do all of that. Why spend an extra $1500 to build another one to do the same thing your current computer can do. If you were going for a HTPC, I would say skip the whole HTPC and buy something like a Popcorn Hour or Mvix Ultio (MX-800HD).

I will say it again, because it seems no one ever pays attention to my post. Wait for a Tegra netbook/notebook later this year and get that. It will fill your all in one package desires, hd video/music playback, internet browsing, and etc. They shouldn't be too expensive when they release. Nvidia said it's estimated prices for a Tegra netbook is around $200 range.

Or just buy a legit copy of MAC OSX, then turn your current PC into a Hackintosh. You can save all that money. There is no need to buy an entire new computer, just for internet, videos, and photos.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Money is clearly not an issue for you. (seeing as that rig in your sig must be worth well over $3k right?) just go ahead and get the iMac. Get it out of your system.

Then when you realise that its just a gimmick really, sell it or bin it, and get something suggeted in this thread. I know that feeling you get, when you have your heart set on something, and no matter what ppl say, in your head you just keep justifing it to yourself. So I really think considering your situation, it will just be best if you try it yourself. Hell, if you do, great, and if you dont. No harm done. As stated, just sell/bin it.

*sigh*

Asking about a Mac on a PC forum, will rarely provide you with any real information. - The same goes for asking about a PC on a Mac forum. - Yes, you can game, surf the Internet, drag and drop, and do all kinds if other things on a Mac. It's just a different enviroment, and takes some adjustment.

OS X has some things I like about it, and some things I don't. Same goes for Windows and Linux. I purchased my first Mac (Mac Mini) about a year ago and have hardly turned my PC on since then. My next system will either be an iMac or a MacBook Pro.

I'd go for it if I were you. You can always sell it if you decide you don't like it.

This is where I'm a little confused. You already have a computer that can do all of that. Why spend an extra $1500 to build another one to do the same thing your current computer can do.

:withstupid:

The only reason I would see for getting another PC is power consumption. Instead of running that 800W PC you have there, just run an Eee box or something like that. :) That's being eco-friendly.