Gaming rig help?

thebridgerofdoom

why is the velociraptor bad? my frend has the same build i said and he boots up freakin fast, his os is installed on the velociraptor

Its not bad, but for the money the increase isn't great enough to set it apart, and it is a little bit louder that 7200rpm/32mb drives.

Im not an expert on raid setups, but I do believe that 2 7200/32mb drives in raid 0 would be faster and have more storage obviously.

I have 1 640gb WD Black 7200/32mb and I'm liking it.

Edited by bbbrad

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not really opting for raid 0. So i should get the velociraptor + caviar black? or just the caviar black. Its not really a matter of the space, more of a matter of if it will be faster.

Check these out

3.5 HDD Charts 2009

Raptor is first and pretty much everything followed by Cavier Black so up to you to see if the price is worth it for that performance gain.

I'll say there is maybe a 10% performace gain in some benches and 250% price increase at least.

Also Raptor is louder and warmer than the Cavier Black. It has Temps and noise in those charts too.

Edited by bbbrad

Im not really opting for raid 0. So i should get the velociraptor + caviar black? or just the caviar black. Its not really a matter of the space, more of a matter of if it will be faster.

I'm not an expert by ANY means so take my opinion for what it costs.....

I respect what Kingfisher is saying about the VelociRaptor and he's likely right. That said, i have the exact set up you're mentioning 300GB Velociraptor OS HDD +1TB Caviar Black storage HDD and it's really fast.

I also have the Corsair TX850 and it's a great PSU with plenty of overhead. It has lots of extra cables - maybe too many? I'd like to add another fan in bottom of my CoolerMaster 690 (don't need it at all though), but there are soooo many cables i'd have to really work to move them outta the way.

I have a couple of the Mushkin XP-800AP power supplies and I love them. From what I can tell they are simply re-branded Topower PowerBird PSUs with a green L.E.D fan. I've run a 920D0 and 2 GTX 295s off of mine without problems.

Also, the 975 is a beast of a CPU but what you are wanting to do I would just do as the others have already recommended and buy a 920 chip. The 920 will give you great performance in all of your applications and offer some headroom in the event you want to start overclocking. I love my 975 ES chip, but I'm a hardcore bencher and overclocker only so it suits my needs :)

Ok thats IT! ii give in. I'll buy a 920 d0. I wanna overclock that, but do u know how stable it will overclock with the coolermaster v8? or do i have to get watercooling to get it into the 4ghz range?

On a c0 stepping with a p6t board im at 4.0ghz (19x210) with a coolermaster v8, temps at full load are around the 60-70C mark (using core temp)

Ahhh.... nice. How about the 940? it should hit 3.8ghz with some cheap fan right? Because im waiting out for the 950 to see how it does. Can't wait for next week. Im wanting to hit 3.8ghz with my 950/940/920 stable 24/7 with a true or something.

I marked down the psu i want to :

cm real power pro 850

cm real power pro 750

cm mondular 850 (any diff?)

cosair tx 750

silverstone 750

silverstone 850

TT tough power 850

I was pretty dead set on the mushkins. But where i live it takes FOREVER to find that damn psu. Anyone got any recommendations?

cm real power pro 850

cm real power pro 750

cm mondular 850 (any diff?)

Real Power Pro Series is not modular which means it does have fixed cables,on the modular series you can disconnect unused cables for better cable managment/airflow.

All of those PSUs are good,i would choose by price(even you have a big budget there is no point in spending more for the same performance) and i would preffer a modular design,the cm modular PSUs are pretty fine and so is the Corsair.

A lapped TRUE with 2 good fans is generally fine for 920 at 4GHZ depends a lot on the fans...

The Raptors offer the best performance right now on paper but the price is not worth it.I did had a 3.5 Raptor which is not as fast as the current 2.5 Velociraptor but nearly as fast,and the difference between it and a Black is not worth the money in real world use,they are noisy and run very hot compared to a standard drive,if you plan on spending a lot of money on HDD than look on some SSD

I read that the V10 is good but the V8 is almost the same, They both do a great job, but the V8 comes at a lower price. So depends on if you have the dosh. Also V10 can conflict with tall ram can't it? Just be aware :) I really don't think the extra for a V10 would benefit you over a V8, It will suit you just as well and leave you with a little extra cash for some nice fans :) Or.. a Gtx 260, mailed to my door :) heh heh heh. :)