Gaming rig help?

thebridgerofdoom

Im creating a new rig, please give me your opinions and if possible a estimate. THANKS

Intel 965 i7

GTX 295

antec 902

EVGA x58 (not classified)

850 watts psu

dell 2408 wfp 24 inch moniter

WD 1tb SATA HD

Cossairs dominatar 3x2gb 1600 mhz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im creating a new rig, please give me your opinions and if possible a estimate. THANKS

Intel 965 i7

GTX 295

antec 902

EVGA x58 (not classified)

850 watts psu

dell 2408 wfp 24 inch moniter

WD 1tb SATA HD

Cossairs dominatar 3x2gb 1600 mhz

a 4890 or 275 would be adequate for a 24" :D

what 850 watt psu are u actually getting? What is the amps on the psu since that plays a big part in a rig and i would agree with the post above. Are you going to overclock the cpu? if yes i would get a Thermaltake 120 ultra with the lga1366 bolt through mounting kit.

Any suggestion for the psu? im thinking cosairs 850 tx. Im not overclocking.

Good build, big budget >.<

Corsair is a reputable psu company, that would be a good choice.

Only thing else i see is adding a cpu cooler, I personally have a Xigmatek Dark Knight and really like it. It comes with a 1366 mount aswell.

yeah, since you are not even going to be overclocking your chip, you wont see that large of a difference between the two in games.

Frank did a nice review on the i7 lineup a while back, here it is.

Depending on your resolution you are going to be gaming on, in Crysis we only saw a 6FPS higher score on the 965 over the 920 at 1024x768...

I would get the 920 and either save yourself the money or spend it on a different case or get a good cooler...hell for the almost 600$ you will be saving yourself, you could build yourself a great watercooling loop for the chip and video card!

Edited by gotdamojo06

i was just going to ask you about that. So the 920? oh yeah does anyone know abt the mushkins 800w with the cool green led fan? my friend has it and it looks SWEET. Is it worth it if i choose to overclock the 965 if i buy it? Another thing : my friend told me to get the velociraptor (that 10k rpm hd) and the baracudda in raid 0. Is that possible? two diff hd in raid 0? And if possible is it recommended?

Edited by thebridgerofdoom

You might aswell just buy a 920 and overclock it to 4 ghz which is more than enough for any build i would think. The Mushkin XP-800AP psu should be more than enough for your build since it has 64 amps on 12v. As most people say velociraptor arent very good harddrives for there price. You might aswell get a 1tb seagate or western digital Black caviar.

You can't put a velociraptor and a barricuda in RAID-0.

As far as getting a raptor cuz its "awesome" or mushkin psu cuz its "sweet", by all means buy them. I doubt it really matters what the item's real world performance is.

People have different reasons to buy different hardware. Reading through their posts can usually identify which course of advice to give.

Giving practical advice such as " a velociraptor's performance compared to 7200 rpm SATA II drive isn't worth its cost" isn't going to mean much to a guy who thinks a Velociraptor is "awesome"