Upgrade from 8800GTS to 4770?

tsamb.

I'm currently running a Core 2 E6750 and an 8800GTS (320MB).

I am thinking of potentially switching to the new Radeon 4770. Firstly, is this going to be much of an upgrade? Secondly, how does the ATI software (drivers and display controls) compare to nVidia's latest?

I am also planning on getting a P55/i7 combo as soon as the P55 is released. Perhaps I'll wait for that for the GPU, too.

Hojin, what a constructive post! :rolleyes: If he wants something better, he might as well. Why are you buying a new case? The old one works, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Anyways, to get back on topic, I don't think the 4770 is much of an upgrade over the 8800GTS 320MB. As far as I have seen in reviews, it is roughly equal to a 4850 performance wise, so if I were you I'd wait until you upgrade your motherboard and CPU. Then you will have a clear budget, and video card prices will have dropped a little bit.

If it works, don't replace it.

It's a waste of money...if you have to buy a new card, aim for at least a GTS250.

Otherwise, just stick to your 8800GTS and wait for the new P55's.

yeah and pay into the whole 9800GTX+ rebranding crap....not to mention that if one has money for a 9800gtx+, they should just get a 4870 512mb.

If you can't wait then the 4830 is great too, if you overclock it it pretty much becomes a 4850 and matches it's performance.

I agree with kindingaling. The 8800GTS really isn't that bad of a card. Sure it won't max out crysis at 2560x1600 but still its better then an old ATI rage right.

Save your money untill you're ready for a big upgrade (CPU, MOBO, and GPU). That way you'll be able to get everything at the same time, plus you'll be able to see what's no and how prices change.

This doesn't mean wait forever, but If I were you I'd wait till you can upgrade a few things at once.

Wait a second, this card performs worse than an HD2900XT(Maybe PRO), if the HD4770 performs like the HD4850 this would be a pretty good upgrade.

But you should rather go with the cheapest HD4870 because they are really good(Have one and loving it, upgraded from HD2900PRO)

I think it's safe to say that the 4770 isn't in the same league as the 8800GTS was when it came out (only trumped by the 8800 Ultra back then), but I don't know if I want to spend that sort of money (relative to two generations later) again.

The 4870 is an option ($100 more than the 4770 here), and is a lot cheaper than what I paid for the 8800GTS in 2007.

Something that no one really answered is how they find the ATI drivers/software versus nVidia... any comments on that? I know in the last few years I have been more impressed with nVidia's software than ATI's, but has that changed at all?

Edited by tsamb.

I would think that wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. Of course it will depend on what you play and all that, but ultimately I don't think that'd be worth the money for what I think would be a pretty small difference in actual usage. I'd say you should wait and figure your whole budget for your new system all at once.

An i7/4770 combo seems very mismatched to me, honestly. Unless you do something very CPU intensive that makes the i7 worth it for your use, I think the 4770 will probably bottleneck the i7. You might be better off getting a cheaper Skt775 board/cpu, or maybe a Phenom 2 system. I'd probably go for the Phenom 2 myself :)

I'd just wait. I don't think moving to a 4770 would give enough of a performance gain to justify the price. If you really want a video card upgrade, I'd jump to the GTX260(216) or the 4870(1GB). I don't even think jumping up to the GTX250 or 4850 would justify the price. At least the 260 and 4870 are still strong enough to where you could even move them over to the new build and go SLI/CF and put the 8800 back in the old machine and use it as a spare machine.

Far as the drivers go, many still find the Nvidia drivers to be more mature. Definitely less complaints on the nvidia drivers than the ATI ones.

i think its funny people are still confused by nvidia naming. the 8800GTS=9800GTX=GTX 250. they are all the same card just re-branded :)

False. He has an 8800GTS 320MB

You are talking about the 8800GTS 512mb. Big difference there, one pretty much sucks and one is still good.