Upgrade from 8800GTS to 4770?

tsamb.

i think its funny people are still confused by nvidia naming. the 8800GTS=9800GTX=GTX 250. they are all the same card just re-branded :)

also 9800GTX+ = GTS 250

False. He has an 8800GTS 320MB

You are talking about the 8800GTS 512mb. Big difference there, one pretty much sucks and one is still good.

Agreed.

To OP: No offense, but the 320 and 640 versions are junk compared to the 512. 8800GTS 512mb = 9800GTX. Upgrading(if you can afford it) is a good idea.

Edited by Guns

One reason the 4770 got my attention in the first place was the fact that it's the first ATI card on a 40nm process. Lower temps and better OCing perhaps?

Along that same line, anyone know when the higher spec 40nm cards are due to come out?

The minimal performance gain he will see has little to do with his processor and everything to do with it's just not a significant increase in graphics power. The only selling point to the idea is he has the 320MB version of the 8800 GTS versus the 512MB version. The 4770 is slightly below the 4850 in terms of performance as it is just not as consistent as the 4850 is. Now I haven't seen any review or anyone compare an OC'd 4850 with an OC'd 4770. I am kind of dissapointed in the current pricing of the 4770 - it was supposed to be a sub-$100 card and the lowest price I have seen on a site I trust is $100. Most of them are $110 and up ...which puts it about the same price as a 4850.

I mean if he wants to spend $100+ on a video card for a computer he is about to replace for maybe 5fps its his money, but since he asked for input I say its a waste of money. Now if was willing to spend an extra $60 (so $160) to get either a GTX260-216 or 4870(1GB) than I could see the reasoning as he'd be jumping up a couple tiers in graphics power, especially if he still planned on using this computer after he builds his new one ...but the fact he is about to build a new computer overshadows just about any purchase.

The Sapphire 4850 can be had at NewEgg for $99.00 after MIR. Although I read that Sapphire's rebate process is a sham above all shams.

I've got two 4850's (one gigabyte card and one HIS card)

Both easily clock to 720 on the core and 1050-1100 on the memory. Even using the oem single slot cooler.

As far as ATi drivers go . . . .

To me they have always been a little flaky, especially when trying to iron out crossfire issues. But I've had the 9.3 CATS for a while and they've been trouble free.

nVidia beats ATi on getting good drivers out to begin with, and nVidia does a better job of getting new drivers released to fix known problems.

Edited by wevsspot