Proprietary Eponyms

Andrewr05

Proprietary Eponyms  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use proprietary eponyms?

• Yes
    • No, I hate it when people do that...

@xPETEZx weird, I've never heard anyone say that around here, I just say vacuum.

Also, another one people say is blu-ray instead of HD film. I'm guilty too lol.

@d3 Thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them all the time.

There is a real danger involved for the brand in question though! If it is a product that is easily copied without a big difference in quality/looks/taste/whatever, the person using them does not care if it is the original or not. For example Post-It notes, if someone gave you a sticky notepad that was not from the brand Post-It, you wouldn't give two craps. You'd just buy the cheaper version. This can be real dangerous to the companies in the long run if they cannot distinguish their product in some way. Coca Cola works differently for example, the taste is absolutely unique. Yes, Pepsi etc. come close, but there is nothing quite like it, so for Coca Cola that is not much of a problem.

Just my random 2 cents :)

It somewhat annoys me when people do this... so I voted no... though I think once or twice I've been guilty of it... though I can't think of what.

I use them all the time.

There is a real danger involved for the brand in question though! If it is a product that is easily copied without a big difference in quality/looks/taste/whatever, the person using them does not care if it is the original or not. For example Post-It notes, if someone gave you a sticky notepad that was not from the brand Post-It, you wouldn't give two craps. You'd just buy the cheaper version. This can be real dangerous to the companies in the long run if they cannot distinguish their product in some way. Coca Cola works differently for example, the taste is absolutely unique. Yes, Pepsi etc. come close, but there is nothing quite like it, so for Coca Cola that is not much of a problem.

Just my random 2 cents :)

Hmm I always call them sticky notes.

Edited by Compxpert

Voted yes use them all the time.

Just to add to the list

I always call 1394 port firewire.

Not sure that actually counts...Apple licensed out the name "Firewire" to IEEE to use for the 1394 port. As such, there is no 1394 port that isn't "Firewire".

Also, another one people say is blu-ray instead of HD film. I'm guilty too lol.

Actually I don't think that counts because there is only Blu-Ray now, and there aren't any Blu-ray knock-offs...Blu-ray is what it.

Actually I don't think that counts because there is only Blu-Ray now, and there aren't any Blu-ray knock-offs...Blu-ray is what it.

I guess so. I was saying blu-ray when it was an hd-dvd a while back though. Only temporary.

I've thought of one - VICE -GRIPS, i think that is a trade name, i cant actually remember what the generic name of it is tho, a very useful tool for making bolts and nuts unuseable