Buying New Graphics Card

RedOctober

Can you guys please help me!

im buyng a new graphics card but cant make up my mind,i was thinking hd 4870x2 but ive gone off ati lately and now im considering the xfx 9800gx2 xxx edition.

or maybe gtx280? Not really sure which but it wil be one of these 3

Please give any advice guys,all opinions are appreciated.

The GX2 is a great card, and it's getting cheaper by the day...but the 4870 X2 is the top dog at the moment. The only card that can compete is the GTX280. The GX2 is marred by driver problems, improper scaling, etc..

All in all, go with the 4870 X2 you won't regret it. :thumbs-up:

4870x2 gets my vote as well. You can run it on any motherboard that supports pci-e 2.0 (yes it will still work on 1.0, but it may bottleneck just slightly) However, if you are running a DFI x38 or x48 motherboard, you may want to consider getting a different card, because those boards are very iffy with those particular video cards, but are just fine with a single 4870 (or in crossfire) or a gx2. However, they are working on a bios fix for those boards to alleviate the compatibility issues.

4870x2 gets my vote as well. You can run it on any motherboard that supports pci-e 2.0 (yes it will still work on 1.0, but it may bottleneck just slightly) However, if you are running a DFI x38 or x48 motherboard, you may want to consider getting a different card, because those boards are very iffy with those particular video cards, but are just fine with a single 4870 (or in crossfire) or a gx2. However, they are working on a bios fix for those boards to alleviate the compatibility issues.

i think pci-e 1.0 would heavily bottleneck it won't it? I mean decent dual cores at standard clocks can bottleneck it so I would think good old x16 would too

My system nzxt tempest chassis

antec truepower quattro 1000w psu

asus m3a32 mvp deuxe mobo

phenom x4 9950 black edition @ 3.1ghz

4gb OCZ reaper pc 8500 1066

lite on dvdr 20x

pioneer 202 blue ray rom

gigabyte hd 3850

vista premium

22" samsung syncmaster and 19" acer tft

I know its a amd board so logically i shoud choose the 4870x2 but im a big fan of nvidia,and i just think their quality is above ati at the moment.and im strapped for cash,and the gx2 is about all i can afford.But ive seen the reviews of the gx2 and its only just behind the gtx 280 and in some tests its even ahead of it.the 4870x2 beats both but to be honest im just not feeling it with the beast that is the hd 4870x2,if you guys know what i mean

Edited by RedOctober

Well you are running two screen's so you cant really go with a 4870X2 or a 9800GX2 because you'd have to disable CF/SLI. I'd say maybe a GTX280 but you might end up cpu limited, really should have gone Intel like. Maybe just a 4870, there's still plenty of go in that at a good price, and you can keep the dual screen setup.

If you don't need the latest and greatest thing out there I would go with 1 or two of these. I know they are older tech now but damn there still Ultras and you cant beat the price.

I just sold my 8800GT SLI / 780i setup to go with a P35/P45 setup with one of these.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2513

Edited by troy5061