Angry_Games

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey aclays,

Just read a review on the Thermaltake TMG ND5:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1202868

Looks like you had better like with your temp. drops than the reviewer, but maybe his SLI set up had something to do with it. Did you use any thermal paste when installing? Any other mods?

Also, the article show that the ND5 blows the hot air exhaust towards the center of the case rather than the back. Theoretically, this would add heat to my TV Tuner Card, Lower motherboard and Hard drives. Do you notice any of this heat in your set up?

My temps are already low (51C idle, upper 50'sC at full load) with RivaTuner at 80% it drops down about 2-3C; 49C idle! When I overclock it goes up 2-3C, but at full load I usually increase RivaTuner to 90-100% so the temp increase is minor.. The step up to the stock 640MB, had a 320MB Superclocked version before, was a great improvement as it O.C.'s better and stays 10-15C cooler.

I'm cuirious to see how an aftermarket GPU cooler will effect this card, so I'm probably going to buy the ND5 on Monday to try it out. The cool thing is Sharkacomputers is located just a few mintues from my house, so I can pick it up at will call and not wait for shipping:)

My only hesitation would be the heat exhaust situation of the ND5. My other thought was to just add a PCI slot fan cooler, but my airflow is pretty good right now.

If you do get a chance to take a measurement by Monday that would be helpful - if not, not worries, I'll just try it out if I get it...

BB

i'm 65c IDLE 85c load on my gts oc. so i'm holding out for the Zalman

The only thing I worry about this new cooler is that it is now going to vent the hot air inside the machine whereas the stock coolers exhausts it.

Hey aclays,

Just read a review on the Thermaltake TMG ND5:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1202868

Looks like you had better like with your temp. drops than the reviewer, but maybe his SLI set up had something to do with it. Did you use any thermal paste when installing? Any other mods?

Also, the article show that the ND5 blows the hot air exhaust towards the center of the case rather than the back. Theoretically, this would add heat to my TV Tuner Card, Lower motherboard and Hard drives. Do you notice any of this heat in your set up?

My temps are already low (51C idle, upper 50'sC at full load) with RivaTuner at 80% it drops down about 2-3C; 49C idle! When I overclock it goes up 2-3C, but at full load I usually increase RivaTuner to 90-100% so the temp increase is minor.. The step up to the stock 640MB, had a 320MB Superclocked version before, was a great improvement as it O.C.'s better and stays 10-15C cooler.

I'm cuirious to see how an aftermarket GPU cooler will effect this card, so I'm probably going to buy the ND5 on Monday to try it out. The cool thing is Sharkacomputers is located just a few mintues from my house, so I can pick it up at will call and not wait for shipping:)

My only hesitation would be the heat exhaust situation of the ND5. My other thought was to just add a PCI slot fan cooler, but my airflow is pretty good right now.

If you do get a chance to take a measurement by Monday that would be helpful - if not, not worries, I'll just try it out if I get it...

BB

When I took off the stock cooler for the 8800gts, the thermal paste was in hard clumps all over the gpu. I'd say 90% of the gpu wasn't even in direct contact with the heatsink. I used Arctic Silver 5 with the TMG ND5.

My case has an intake fan on the side panel, next to the video card, one outtake fan just above the video card and next to the cpu, and I'm sure the psu fan above the cpu helps with airflow a good amount too. CPU and system temps have stayed the same. So although the heat is pushed back into the case, my airflow must be sufficient enough to keep it from being a problem.

I'll try to get that measurement tonight. No promises again though I'm afraid :O

• 4 weeks later...

Thank's for all the support guy'sI didnt know this was hear. I bought a EVGA 8800GTS 320 last week and am expecting it tomorrow without even knowing it was the popular OC'ers model.Ive alreasdy downloaded the driver's and the control panel and have a fairly good idea of what to do with it when it get's hear .

Thank's BA

You know Wevsspot your the only other guy I know that uses 4X1Gig stick's of Gskill ram. I just sold 2 of mine to get the vid card and am glad I did. im back to useing t1 timing and can set my ram anywhere i want. i need to change my sig to reflect the change I was just waiting on the vid card to show up before I did sometime tomorrow if every thing goe's ok. BA

I had 4 sticks of it running at one time. But I sold both sets of them along with my other 939 stuff. I didn't do any really intensive stuff so I really didn't notice a difference between 2gb and 4gb.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys it looks like the mems on my 7900gt are dying. So I'm hopping to upgrade. Evga 8800gts 640mb version 500/1600. but I have a coupla quick questions. (Afore I start ah money-grubbin' fer' da' funds.)

1#.Will my maze4 gpu block fit?

2#.How many ramsinks will I need? Will I have to mod any of them?

humm... Maybe I should hang on abit The 9800's will be out soon and either grab one dem' er' Hopefully a nice cheap 8800.

Edit: Nevermind I looked it all up.. Got em' all figured out now...(Thought it was good for a quick anwser Oh well...........................)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going to take the plunge as well - looking at the 320mb versions since I dont plan on changing my 1440x900 anytime soon. I'm guessing that all the eVGA part numbers are only differentiating the stock clock speeds, I can't seem to find any other differences - are there any?

And if thats the only difference, I'm assuming that getting the vanilla version and o/cing it is better than picking up the superclocked version, correct?

And if thats the only difference, I'm assuming that getting the vanilla version and o/cing it is better than picking up the superclocked version, correct?

Depends mainly on how well they are speed binning the gpu and memories.

There is a good chance you'd get lucky with a vanilla version and hit the same speeds/frequencies as the guy who spent "extra" for a KO or superclocked version.

This last go round I went ahead and splurged on the Superclocked version because I never seem to have much luck when I go the vanilla route.

At any rate, even at stock speeds the 8800GTS will handle anything you throw at it right now.