So Ya Think You Want to Go to Vista Huh???

ViperJohn

I have no qaulms or beef with users actually having problems, but they are not related to the thousands of words of FUD that Gutmann spouts..

The problem you deal with Lord Sauron is that you personally need to present real proof for the claim about "thousands of words of FUD". Will you trust Ed Bott more than Peter Gutmann? The question isn't easily answered since Ed Bott should know MS product line better than Peter Gutmann, but in the same time his objectivity should be questioned in view of his close ties with MS (this doesn't make him a lier, but we shouldn't take his word as an absolute truth either).

Intriguingly some of Ed Bott's arguments aren't directly applicable on Gutmann's argument or it's off target since a lot has happened since the initial publication of Gutmann's paper, which makes me wonder: if it's such obvious FUD why don't expose it clearly instead of saying that "since I can do this and this, that must mean that all those arguments of Gutmann is FUD"? Bott doesn't even bother to deal with the core issue. It doesn't take much reading to distinguish Bott's questionable polemic.

Some time ago I looked for tips and tricks concerning Vista on another forum. A customer who did chose Vista - not through us - had an odd problem: Office 2007 and his printer drivers couldn't coexist, because Office 2007 prevented the printer driver from functioning and vice verse. A silly scenario indeed. I described my customers problem in a thread and the first answer I got was: "I have a printer and Office 2007, and it works great!". OK, so what? To me it pretty much sounds the same as: Gutmann is wrong because Bott says so, or Angry_Games or Viper or who ever don't know anything because my system works. If you "have no qualms or beef with users having problems", then show it, and if you don't like Gutmann's view, then present a good argument for why DRM or other similar locks should be viewed as a pro and not a con.

Our business is very MS oriented, with a definite decision to stay with XP and 2003, besides using some BSD and Linux based systems. I don't know whether you professionally depend on Windows or not Lord Sauron, but don't forget that MS try to force a product upon us which fails to be the following:

- a clean efficient work horse with no bloat or processes not related to an operating systems main purpose

Why should I chose to have tenths of multi-purpose-multimedia-PC-stations on my working place? Someday soon MS has to realize that their purpose on the market isn't to baby-sit the entertainment industry. Even though personally being a 80 % Linux/BSD user outside my office, I do understand why it's pretty difficult for some businesses to totally switch to Linux for example (if I started up a new office from scratch though, it would be totally independent from Windows for sure), still I can't understand why a Red Hat server "should be allowed" so shuffle files twice or even more faster than a Windows 2003 server. Hence there's a lot more important stuff for MS to do than playing a victim of circumstances.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only experience I have had with Vista was wiping it and installing Windows XP Pro SP2.

When Dell and other large companies started selling new laptops exclusively with Vista my company had compatability problems with programs and simply didnt not want to purchase new licenses for updated Vista compatible version. Also, no one was happy with the performance because the lowend laptops had 512-1GB of memory.

So, sadly I was in charge of wiping brand new laptops and installing XP Pro SP2. What a crap job and I am glad Dell etc started offering XP Pro again.

• 1 month later...

I had vista 64 ul for 3 days on my machine at home.... couldn't put up with the hassle.

Back to Xp i went, 2 weeks ago i installed vista ultimate 32bit and TBH i havent encountered an silly anoying problems yet. Yet being the key work as Im very skeptical.

• 2 months later...

SP1 is coming, and the majority of us who hate Vista will of course be giving it another shot, especially now that DX10 hardware is affordable and many more gaming titles are using it.

How will it fare? Will Angry and crew still hate it like Conservatives hate John McCain (and Hillary Clinton!)?

Time will tell, but once we have a good grasp on SP1 (30-90 days after as that is how long it takes to un-break what a Service Pack breaks), you can expect to see a flurry of posting.

In the meantime, I along with just about everyone else on staff is simply not interested in release candidates and betas for the service pack. So that's why no one is really talking about it. A true service pack rollout is where you will see the majority of Vista users installing it.

Let's hope for the best because I still feel Vista is the biggest, most laughable piece of . project Microsoft ever embarked on. I'd really like to not feel this way, but until MS gives me incentive to think otherwise, this is going to be my opinion: wait until Windows 7 (whatever comes after Vista).

Let's keep our fingers crossed kids!

windows 98 < windows xp, windows vista < windows xp, and furthermore:

windows vista < windows 98.. vista is the most unstable os in this entire planet..

sorry... i had a nightmare with vista, sticking to xp is the best solution for now (in year 2008).. hhehehhehe...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SuppA-SnipA
I won't use Vista even if someone buys it for me , Xp for the win.....

MS 7 maybe but we will see.

nice sentence, i agree with u all the way

I had some SERIOUS problems when I first went with Vista.

Matlab wouldn't work at all (Java errors or something), SolidWorks would randomly open and close repeatedly, my Karajan sound module would cause system crashes, the list goes on and on...

But now, I only have one issue: at boot I get a "Part of Tagger has stopped working" error, which I have to say "ok" to. That's it. Considering a few of the USB and application issues I had repeatedly with XP, the overall visual appeal of Aero, and the superiority of Vista Chess as compared with the lack of XP chess (and even Ubuntu chess), I would have to say that at this point in time I am very happy to have Vista on my primary computer.

Sure, it has lower framerates but my shiny new 8800GT does fine. And sure, the User Control thing is a bit annoying, but Ubuntu got me used to it; it prompts for password every time, Vista is just a click. Sure I had to switch from ZoneAlarm soft-firewall to Comodo, because ZA was causing uTorrent to freeze up, but I like Comodo very much and don't have a negative thing to say about it now.

I never have issues with freezing during shutdown, which I had with XP, and I find myself with faster file transfers both locally and across disks (or at least they seem faster); and the ability to change file properties on the fly in the bottom of the explorer window is something I would find hard to live without now that I've integrated it into my getting-things-done routine.

Simply put, I love Vista. Harp all you want, and throw down factoids like madmen if that makes you feel good. Speaking as a man who relies on his computer, and speaking from a usability standpoint, I am satisfied. So there.