So Ya Think You Want to Go to Vista Huh???

ViperJohn

its a known security hole btw...the speech recognition stuff :P please disable them for now lol

I'm aware, in fact it was reading about the exploit that made me realise that vista can do speech recognition in the first place ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I remember hearing the same kinds of bad things about windows xp, and now vista. I agree with others that have said you will all be running vista sooner or later. I am running Vista and find it to be a good stable OS and I am overclocking quite a bit. It has some kinks as all the windows OS that came out have had but MS has patched and fixed pretty well in the past.

Apple would make so much more money by ditching their MACs and making their OS available for everyone not just MAC users.

Apple isn't an operating system company. Apple is/was a hardware company that makes an operating system. In Apple's view, they don't need or even want to make their OS available for "PCs".

Just an interesting side note... Apple recently changed their name from 'Apple Computers' to 'Apple Inc.'

What brand of crack are they smoking? What the hell should they even care about DRM for, anyway? They're not the ones providing content, so what should they care if people are pirating?

I tend to agree with the idea that it is up to the media providers to protect the rights of the creators. But, I also disagree, because if it were left up to every media company, their would be no standardization and the OS and the computers would suffer greatly.

__

I recommend that everyone read this book.

In the Beginning was the Command Line by Neal Stephenson.

In the end it all comes down to who you are and what you use your computer for. If you just game and watch movies and stuff then yes MS is probobly the best option for you. If you are a hardcore programmer or network admin, then you'll most likely use linux, unless you're developing MS apps. If you're a designer, movie producer, or musician, you'll probobly use a mac (a fact that continues to boggle me).

IMO, If you're really a true hardcore enthusiast, you will dabble in everything, and learn how everything works.

As far as piracy goes, for every security expert, their are probably 10,000 people trying to crack their software.

__

@ Devil_07:

I've often thought of the cost of software, media, etc. and how it effects those of us trying to learn about the creation of software and media. Their seems to be a paradox here. If an artist or programmer can't afford to purchase other people's creations; how can they efficiently learn to make their own without school? Look at the old masters like Michelangelo, Donatello, Raphael, Titian, etc, how did they learn to do what they did? They looked at other artists work, and they had the same problem we do today. They needed to be able to afford to travel to see the other artist's work, or be fortunate enough to get an apprenticeship with a master.

Just makes you think a 'lil.

[edited for runon sentence]

• 3 months later...

If you read this thread from the beginning, you'll see brilliant observation, brilliant thought, top-notch reasoning ability, and maybe even become more impressed with your fellow man. The down-side is that you'll also take in enough ignorance that it may adversely affect your intelligence. Some of it is simply unrealistic; some of it observantly short-sighted, while still more of it is just sheepishly compliant. Now and then it just reads as though it was bought 'n' paid for.

Ever notice how most of the folks that make offensive, inflammatory statements calling other "whiners", etc, or say completely unrealistic things like, "If you don't like it don't buy it," are so often the folks that cannot even form a proper sentence? Perhaps that ought to be a forum rule; if commas and periods are too complicated for you, read more and write less.

All pokes and digs aside, yes, there has been much noise with the introduction of each new MS Operating System, but nothing like what is being seen now. After reviewing the Vista/Longhorn platform, the United States FAA will be instituting its 45,000 new PC's this year with SUSE Linux...servers and workstations. Another federal office is also moving to SUSE with an estimated 15,000 workstations this year. Many if not all national government offices in the country of France are moving from MS to Ubuntu.

For the record, I am not anti-Windows; I like Windows XP though it is not perfect. I also like Linux, though it is not perfect either. I am, however, pretty much anti-Microsoft, in spite of the fact that I give them the credit that they are due for their huge part in shaping modern computing, and even our world itself.

If the companies that most any of us work for had as many felony convictions as MS has they'd be out of business. MS is one of the handfuls of corporations in existence that can afford to survive the huge fines and legal fees they have paid. But let me get back on track.

I know that even some Linux users keep stating that Linux is not currently a substitute for XP, but I disagree. Yes there can be some pretty serious limits brought on by application availability, or lack of availability. Also, although I believe that any computer-savvy person that is willing to apply a reasonable amount of effort can pick up installing and configuring Linux readily, I will concede that it is not as easy a process as it is in Windows. I believe that this is largely due to familiarity; the average PC user of today would struggle just as much if faced with learning to use DOS & 3.11.

The Modern Linux desktop is light-years beyond that. From a performance standpoint, with the exception of (mostly DirectX) gaming, my experience is that modern Linux desktop OS's are also faster, more stable, and much more powerful that XP could possibly be. I also play all of my OpenGL-based games in x86_64 Linux, the newer ones with SLI support; they play without issue, and with plenty of eye-candy. I thank NVidia here for their driver support.

This is getting much too long, so I'll cut to the chase. With the exception of an extra learning curve, and application availability, I don't think one has to give up much to live with Linux. Some additional driver support from the hardware industry would help as well. But for every one of those developers that work in Unix, etc, there are a thousand working in Windows, by necessity. And yes, wanting and needed to have a job makes it a necessity.

Saying 'if you don't like it don't use it' or 'don't buy it' is an unrealistic argument. Whether it is good or bad, right or wrong, and whether I or anyone else likes it or not, most PC-related jobs involve working with Windows and/or Windows networks. Because of all of this, there is currently and probably always be more applications for Windows.

I have many Windows apps working in Linux, but other will not. So again, by necessity, whether it is good or bad, right or wrong, and whether I or anyone else likes it or not, I must keep a Windows installation in order to do certain things in this life. It is not just a choice to use of not to use an OS; it becomes choosing whether or not you want/need to or do not want/need to do things.

To those that continuously attempt to solve the MS/Vista debate in a few flames, let's not pretend that this is simple. It is not. Most of the folks here are reasonable and rational enough to know that many of us will eventually have a Vista installation whether we like it or not...by necessity.

Hell, I actually like the Aero interface, and love the fact that DirectX 10 will finally, really use our graphics hardware...like OpenGL always has. I disparately want to like the next version of Windows. But none of this changes what MS has done with Vista, or the people-control that they are attempting to institute. On certain levels, some of it is almost frightening, but its just wrong all over the place.

Thank you for your time. Let the bon-fires begin!

(This post checked for spelling and grammar using “OpenOffice Writer v2.2”)

• 4 weeks later...

Good post nYdGeo. I also had a go at Vista and reinstalled XP on all but one machine. I do have to give MS credit, though. Vista was running a lot better than when it first was released, but still had way too many quirks for my liking.

The other machine I had mentioned is running Ubuntu with several Windows applications emulated through Wine. I prefer Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop over Vista. It might not look as pretty and it's a bit limited with Windows applications, but it's free and runs a lot better.

Right now I have Firefox open with 3 tabs, uTorrent is running in the background and Nautilus is open as well. I am using 171MB of RAM with all that stuff open, try that on Vista.

I just checked and if I close Firefox I use 98MB of RAM with the other apps still runing, and this Socket A Sempron (1.667GHz) with 256MB of RAM installed feels almost as fast as my wife's A46 Venice with 1GB RAM running XP Pro SP2. I am thinking of switching her desktop to Ubuntu as well now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...