Have you ever bought a game system or pc just for 1 game

Guest Milkshake_merged

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far cry was the beginning of the addiction. I got a new system for that and haven't stopped upgrading since. Crysis will be next. I would upgrade now bu I want the best for that game when it is avalabe within reason. Games are really the only reason to upgrade except just for fun but that is rare. I got a new video card for FEAR then another for the next installment and the other new games this summer. I am not certan I will go direct X10 just for fear though only it it really looks worth it. Replaying a game later with a better card is still fun. HL2 was unplayable before I upgraded to a 6800.

Hell yeah, this system, and now Freecell runs so smooth!

Heh, bought the system FOR Oblivion but knew I would be getting much more out of it in thousands of other games (I'm a big subscriber to the millions of great, free, super-candy games out there; leaves more dough for the hardware).

boo

My original home built PC was a 386 with 4 megs of ram and 40 megs of HDD on an MFM drive that took up 2 5.25" slots. It had a USRobotics 14.4 HST modem so when I connected to other USR HST modems, I was at 28.8 and it was flying. I used it to connect to other BBSes and to run my own. After moving out of my parents house, I got a job after a bit with IBM and managed to build a p90 with 80 meg of ram and 2 hard drives (one 2 gig and one 5 gig). I ran OS/2 Warp on that, played Descent, got my SLiP connection working to a unix box before changing ISPs to get a PPP dialup connection. When I upgraded from that to the next machine, I kept the p90 as a NT4 file and print server (and it ran for 4 years FLAWLESS til I scrapped it for a better machine with win2k server). Then in 2001, Black & White was coming out so I figured it was time to upgrade again and built a p4 1.7 with 512mb ram and a 30gb hard drive. I had a P4STA mobo on that with an AGP slot, one of the first, and a gforce3 from 3DFX. When I built my current PC, my DFI, I gave the old P4 to my mom (I had burnt out the mobo in 03 though and gotten an Intel D845gb board to replace for $5 -- Shipping was more than the cost of the board at the time). She's thrilled with it since it upgrades her off the p3/900. My current rig is in my sig. :D Black & White 2 plays really nice and EQ is smooth, even EQ2.

Bought a PS2 to play GranTurismo 3... and now GT4.

Bought 2gig of ram just so i could play bf2 smoothly :P

Ditto! I'm looking forward to the next installment of Gran Turismo :drool:

Guest LithoTech

Yeppers, more than once, but usually just upgrades. All my systems in the past have been planned with maximum upgradability in mind, and plunking a more potent cpu and/or vid card in the system for an upcoming game release is always a good way to avoid frusteration when the game comes out and you lag across the map or stutter away at under 10 FPS.

Gotta say though, many times the game's release is the problem and even a new system gets horrible performance. I remember when Star Wars Galaxies first came out their servers were up and down like a yo-yo, lagging all over the place, dropping clients link dead, all sorts of crap that took them months to settle down. It was quite frusterating at first, and I vividly remember playing CS a lot at the time instead.