Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

In my slow climb to 3.4 - 3.6ghz I'm currently at 3.1ghz and all stock voltages. Everything. :)

Thought I might hit the voltage wall at 3.0, but looks like I've got just a bit more headroom before I need to give her a voltage bump.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my Infinity/E6600/SuperTalent rig is up and running. Installation and setup was really quite the breeze. No issues to report. Changed the RAM to slots 1&3 and haven't noticed any ill effects or reduction in performance. Man, I wish nVidia based boards setup up so easily! Apparently the Infinity board doesn't much care where you put the RAM as long as you follow the RAM population guide in the owners manual.

I originally thought I'd hate the ATX and AUX power connection locations to the left of the cpu socket, but I have to admit, that with some creative wire routing there isn't any problem whatsoever with the locations.

The Thermalright HR-05 is the bomb of a n/b cooler. Dropped my temps instantly from 45-46C at idle down to 34-36C idle. The Zalman CPN9700 LED is the bomb too. I'm just so happy with this build I could . myself.

Glad to hear you are up and running successfully Wev! I DID have the HR-05 on mine, but no more. I am using the SI-128, which means the HR-05 could only go one direction, with the fins "laying" on the back of the video card(with ghetto slip tie insulators installed to keep it from shorting). Well, my 7950GT was the loudest piece of crap I have ever heard, so I decided to change its cooler to the HR-03. That cooler works most excellent and is totally silent, but it has these thumbscrews sticking out that now interfere with the HR-05. Soooo, out comes the HR-05 and back in goes the stock NB chipset cooler. Temps now back in the 50's. :sad: Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.

You guys got A steppings or B?

The B's are rumoured to run hotter, the ES's run way hotter than my A rev, which needs more volts but runs cooler volt for volt.. B retail is supposed to be as hot as es..

the temps shown by the probe on my evap seem to confirm this..

regards

Raja

Updated Original OCDB Entry to 411x9 | DDR2-1024.. these MBs clearly allow > 1000MHz to be run for memory, another good thing.

This BIOS and improved perfomance has now allowed for very close synthetic results but at a lot lower CPU speed, when compared for the same CPU when it under the Vapo on another MB ... (now must make time to get this MB also under the same conditions) so it looks this is a very fast MB. Now to balance the current Max FSB of 460, with Max Memory with better cooling ..... Moving on up :)

You guys got A steppings or B?

The B's are rumoured to run hotter, the ES's run way hotter than my A rev, which needs more volts but runs cooler volt for volt.. B retail is supposed to be as hot as es..

the temps shown by the probe on my evap seem to confirm this..

regards

Raja

CPU-z 1.36 reports my revision as B2. It is a retail processor. It ran right up to 3.1ghz at stock voltages on everything. I've given it a little vcore bump and right now I'm running Orthos while I type this.

I paste a little theory I posted in the 975 guide here, we need someone with a little internal knowledge to come forth and smash any myth's though....

I have a little theory atm which I have no real evidence or stats to back up, but the b steppings seem to mimmick the es's more in terms of heat.

The es could boot everytime on my machine at 455fsb, the a stepping I have can boot out of bios only at that speed, it'll get into xp run orthos blend and anything else I throw at it all day, but it won't reboot from reset or cold power at 455. The only way I can get the 455 back is to reset cmos and boot out of bios again at 455.

I know these conroe's have a reference drive voltage, I'm just left wondering if the es's and b steppings actually have a higher reference hence the higher boot up capacity. Stability wise the oc's on my es and retail a are the same so far but board restriction prevents me from full clarifiaction and comparison.

Now what could be the difference is the question?

1) are intel putting the temp diodes in different places on a's and b's? - I doubt it

2) Ar the B's different internally - I doubt that too,,,

3) Do the b's have a different default drive voltage - possible, but needs someone with technical insight to clarify...

I have not got a retail b so I can't confirm.

I may be wrong both techniaclly and in practice, but I know there's some form of difference in boot ability and behaviour, but I do have temp sensors on my evap that confirm the a running a lot cooler volt for volt.

Which means that es's being hotter is no myth, reports pit the same conclusion with the b vs a retail debate, which raises the question that there must be more voltage by default in the es's and b's..

regards

Raja

There are other internal voltages I'm referring to as well. As the volt for volt thermal dissipation seems greater on the b's.

It's the black screen part of the boot up sequence that interests me too and if there is any difference between bios bootup votage application and reset cold boot volatge application order...

regards

Raja

There are other internal voltages I'm referring to as well. As the volt for volt thermal dissipation seems greater on the b's.

It's the black screen part of the boot up sequence that interests me too and if there is any difference between bios bootup votage application and reset cold boot volatge application order...

regards

Raja

That's entirely possible. I'm still skeptical. Those voltages and their application, though theoretically 'controlled' by the CPU itself are actually at the mercy of what ever board they're in. I'd think it's likely the chips are simply more tolerant of whatever your particular board does to it while the revision that allows for this tolerance also happens to make it hotter.

...just putting out ideas.