Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

you cant get away from p=va buddy... There's a difference for sure.....

btw my a rev default voltage is 1.325...

Voltage application order is down to bios, the cpu provides hardware set references. There's some diff between a's and b's.

The fact that bios is setting different defaults shows there MAY be some difference in internal reference parameters..

the bios boot out ability shows that either one or all of cpu/mem or fsb voltage is not killed then reapplied. Cold boot and reset prolly kills the voltage to 0 and then re-applies, hence the boot up variance between the 3...

does not solve the equation as to why the default volts on the a is higher, Intel obviously know of the heat variance/dissipation between the 2 steppings. So hardware code is written to default the a's higher at stock..

regards

Raja

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant get away from p=va buddy... There's a difference for sure.....

You can with things like CPUs. They aren't like incandescent light bulbs. They don't suck every last drop of energy from the electricity that they do. That's why it's really P=(delta)V*A. We never see what the voltage drop is through the core. We only get to see the APPLIED voltage and the best that we can do is assume that it's a fairly constant percentage of the 'full power' that it 'eats' and then call the 'full power' its consumption, keeping in our minds we know it's a constant percentage of that.

Evidence? Adding transistors to a core is KNOWN to make things hotter (pres'hot' anyone?) No more voltage is being pushed through? How is the temp going up? It's because it dissipates more voltage now, making (delta)v bigger.

well my reasoning is when you have a hundred users you get an average to work from, there is variance for sure, but there are ballpark figures, most of the onboard transistors are from the same substrate, giving a tighter average than randomly picked devices..

p=va is ballpark here for the range, volt for volt averages at the same applied voltage over an average, is it the broadly similar or not?

In fact using p=va you can see that the variance in current draw and voltage droop would be quite noticeable to affect temp by a few degrees...

Transistor count should be the same accross the range as we're dealing with a set criteria with some allowance for variance.

Ok how many a's run as hot as b's in general or on average?

That's what we need to find out.. maybe it's a myth maybe not..

if the delta exceeds by wide margin the average variance allowance you know there's a difference... ok so how much? well say 100 b's run 4 degs hotter than most a's, then there's a difference, wheteher or not we can point the finger to a set hardware addition is not something we can debate as we did not design the architecture. But we can collate averages and see if the delta is similar.. Things that give rise to this sort of investigation are when users start saying that there's a difference, seeing as we're dealing with the same cpu, averages should provide results that can lead to a conclusion..

regards

Raja

I have three rev B's and they all default to 1.325v...Pretty sure my Asus boards default them down to around 1.29ish so I think there is a slight difference from board to board on the Infinity's. I know there are a few others in the OCDB that have default voltage similar to Thrax.

On another note I've just popped my new Geils in and for the moment it does seem to be that the Fini has problems above DDR2 1000. No problem up to around 1034 but memtest starts to get weird up around 1060 or so.

Cmos clear puts vdiim at 1.9v and optimized defaults bumps it to 2.1v. Either instance allows these modules to boot without incident which is cool since they are rated at 2.45v. Leaving the memory on full auto the fini is defaulting to the 800mhz divider and leaves it there even as you increase the buss...

Just a few quick observations...still need to flash to the latest beta bios, install my 6400 and do a fresh install. Been awhile since I played with the Fini and my XP install activation period expired :) I might just go with Win2k and forget about SLI for now. Bad part about XP if you don't activate it and have to clear cmos the time and date change triggers the damned activation BS. I install and re-install so much it becomes a major pita...

OG I've been there with that cmos reset and the 3 day limit what a pia, even the 30 day limit has been buggered by the time reset, then you need that blasted phone call..

Thraxz, we are wasted, Intel should recruit us right now in their science dept...

regards

Raja

My revision B E6600 (retail also defaults to 1.325 vcore - however BIOS reports actual voltage at 1.29 vcore - as previously observed). I was good up to 3.3ghz at 1.39 vcore, but required a bump to 1.45 vcore to pass Orthos at 3.4 ghz. Right now load temps are bumping between 56C and 60C depending on where at in the test I am. Still haven't run any 3D stress testing however. Memory read speeds are insane at 378X9 using the 533 divider with this Supertalent PC2 6400 memory. Truly an amazing board and processor. I'm currently running Orthos in the background while I'm typing this message :)

Good stuff Thrax...took a couple of months but it looks I'm about to be dethroned. Good luck bud. You've got a good shot with that cpu and the lower votage that it requires. Don't jynx yoyurself by saying you are benching this or that...just come back and trash my butt :D

Again, good luck bud....give us a new benchmark to hit!!!

Hour into prime at 425 FSB. Good luck, me.

Also updated the OCDB entry... I actually was running less vcore than I remembered. Call me stupid or whatever.but it was actually 1.25V +267.5mV= 1.5175Vcore

Even mo betta ;)

Oh and what bios ya running...just being lazy as I'm sure you have it listed in the DB.