Socket LGA775 Discussion Thread

Sounds like you've reached the end of the road, then. 3.6 will keep you motoring for a while yet ;)

I guess the only thing which might help would be to take the 8800 out of the loop to drop some temp out of the CPU.

mmmm 8800... so tempting...

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is my entry okay? The 05-06 thing is bugging me.

Don't bother... not worth it until Vista comes out and the R600 drops prices from the competition.

ya man, looks great

was I right when I said that overclocking one of these to 3Ghz is so easy that you should kill yourself if you can't figure it out?

:tooth:

Sounds like you've reached the end of the road, then. 3.6 will keep you motoring for a while yet ;)

I guess the only thing which might help would be to take the 8800 out of the loop to drop some temp out of the CPU.

mmmm 8800... so tempting...

See, the thing is that the gpu block recieves water right after the cpu. And the water that comes out of the Nautilus is cool when I put a grip on it, closing my hands and all. The other thing is the ATI Tool reads 43-46 temps. What I think is causing the high temps on the cpu is that the block and the cpu ihs is not making a good contact. I say this because the cpu ihs seems a bit concave, when I took off the block off the cpu the tim is much more thinner on the center and very thick on the outer sides. Cant recall which of our members here lapped his c2d because of the ihs not being flat, but it worked for him and I intend to lapp my c2d.

Well, now that you put it that way, I might just leave it as it is. Its a good thing I did not have any time to go to the local auto parts store to get the sandpapers, I had a lot of time today. I will try to use my modded DD blocks, I have a 478 and a 939. I used the copper block from an Apogee and transfered it to the MCW60, it worked great. I got so much parts thats not being used, I gave away my OCZ Plats to one of our members here last month.

:) yeah - i lapped mine more than i have ever had to lap a heatsink.

Putting a straight-edge on the ihs, you could see daylight through it - i'd say there was a good .010" gap on mine.

Allthough i only had the stock (also lapped) 'sink back then, the ihs lap got me about 4Deg cooler.

- remember, there's no pins to pend with these baby's :D

Here's a couple of pics i found on my SD card from my initial build, to show how bad the ihs is. Check out my Ghetto-lapping kit. The chocolate frog award goes to the person who can pick what engine the big-end cap is from...

ihsprelapab9.th.jpg

ghettolappingkitwh0.th.jpg

Using 'bearing blue' to check out the contact patch.

Sorry - i don't have a pic 'post-ihs-lap'. It didn't look pretty, though...