The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Holy Moly........between the legacy sound support being "dropped" and the inability to compare benchmarks, I'm defintely not in a hurry for Vista. I thought that the entire purpose of Vista was to revamp the NT file system to something better (which was dropped) and be significantly improved over XP. Seems more like to me it's an operating system that no one asked for, but we may all be roped into getting as support for XP tails off. With the recent change in how Vista can be transfered and reactivated, I hope that MS relooks into this one and rethinks what they are doing. I really wish that my favorite games would run on some version of Linux.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MS can do anything they want as long as it does not break any laws

Too true to be of any comfort. Even when breaking laws MS is reluctant of adapting to consumers interest; MS has already been convicted in the EU but still refuse to accept how the market is regulated here.

May I just add a "off-topic" link which shows how difficult it sometimes is to deal with huge companies and benchmarks as well: http://www.swallowtail.org/naughty-intel.html

If the hard drive or motherboard is changed you will have to reactivate.

" Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently. "

I have activated my x86 and x64 legal copies of MS windows way more times than that! As long as you are the legal owner of the software MS appears to be quite willing to allow Windows to work. As expensive as Windows was to purchase I expect it to continue working as long as it is not end-of-life software. I don't think I am alone in that belief.

None of this is relevant any longer. Microsoft announced last week that the licensing terms were changed.

Microsoft has changed the retail license terms for Vista so that customers now may uninstall the OS from one machine and install it on another as many times as they want, the company said Thursday. The new terms do away with limitations on how many new devices to which the license can be transferred.

Thanks reelfiles! The Virtual Clone Drive worked great. The Daemon Tools did not work under vista RC2. I dont know if I did sommthing wrong. Windows would tell me that some files did not install correctly. "sommthing with the SCSI"