The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Java doesnt work on Vista...

Has any one tried it and got it working... or how to change the compatability to XP...

Java works for me, you have to install java for netscape though, strange i I know but the way I got it working was to go to a Java page with Active X controls and it will ask you to install Java for netscape proceed with the installation and you can now view Java.

The Aero glass doesnt work with Java but Windows handles it streamlessly it turns it off when you go to a Java enabled website and then turns it back on when you close the browser.

Pretty neat.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kobalt
I think he meant; How come MS didn't release 5456 to the public, and MS is still collecting some irrelevant data from 5384 as some of those issues have been resolved in 5456.

Yes, this is what I meant. I was reading some other blogs, and the difference between the version that MS let the public try, to the latest version available is like night and day.

Sure seems like a ton of wasted testers/bandwidth & resources to not have the latest build available to all. Yeah, you might have to redownload a few more GB, but for those that got it before, that isn't really a issue.

Matter of fact, I don't know what the purpose of keeping such a old build of vista around will do? It serves no real purpose at all.

more issues could surface at a later date that would affect newer builds.

actually the new x64 5456 is only 3/4 oif the size of the original Beta 2 (3.1G vs 4.1G)

some of the drivers are no longer in the OS but instead available through Windows Update.

Java works for me, you have to install java for netscape though, strange i I know but the way I got it working was to go to a Java page with Active X controls and it will ask you to install Java for netscape proceed with the installation and you can now view Java.

The Aero glass doesnt work with Java but Windows handles it streamlessly it turns it off when you go to a Java enabled website and then turns it back on when you close the browser.

Pretty neat.

I just ended up using MS-virtual machine...it installed fine and then updated on it's own...before install finished...worked like a champ...I out this as the main OS on the wifes rig....and she just loves to play those POGO games...been working fine...

is there a way to get there original 1.0 diskette files back? i had to delete that disk to make room for the new ones off the dfi site....

I would contact DFI support (e-mail) and ask them by far the easiest thing to do, out of pure curiosity is this anything to do with Vista??

I am assuming the you have copied the Vista RAID drivers onto the original floppy disk??

You're also not using hitachi drives ... there aren't very many people having this problem, so I'm really just trying to find the common denominator, which may be the hitachis.

I didn't read beyond your entry yet on page two...but I wanted to let you know that I also have two hitachis on the NV raid and an having the same failures.

Do you think we can install on the silicon drives and then plug the others back in and make it work?

thx for your observations...saving me a lot of headaches.

w00t! i think i made a record, had a BSOD less than one day after installing vista lol. it happened while using the windows picture and fax viewer (or whatever they changed the name to). info below..

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BLUESCREEN

OS Version: 6.0.5384.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 119

BCP1: 0000000000000001

BCP2: 0000000000005D27

BCP3: 0000000000005D28

BCP4: 0000000000005D28

OS Version: 6_0_5384

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:WindowsMinidumpMini071306-01.dmp

C:UsersSnuggAppDataLocalTempWER-57125-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

also what i have noticed is that with build 5384, if you have a folder expanded in the my programs on the start menu and you try to delete it, it wont delete. you have to collapse the folder in order to delete it.

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/fil...formation/7828/

Description:

This download is a beta driver providing Microsoft® Windows® Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Beta 2 Build 5384 and Build 5456 support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi®. It is not fully tested and provides limited functionality.

Take note of the following:

* THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. There is no technical support for this driver.

* We recommend that only experienced users install this driver. Do not install this driver for critical tasks.

* This download supports Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Beta 2 Build 5384 and Build 5456, and may not work on other Vista builds.

Current release features:

* X-Fi Crystalizer™

* AC-3/DTS decoding (only in Windows Vista 32-bit)

* MIDI Playback

* EAX Effect

* Smart Volume Management

* Headphone detection

* PCM stereo output through optical out

Known issues:

* When switching modes, a duplicate entry of the "X-Fi Crystalizer" tab in Audio Console appears. To resolve this issue, close and open Audio Console.

* To configure your speakers, you can use only "Audio Devices and Sound Themes" in Control Panel.

Note: 6.1 speaker mode is not available in this download.

* Disabling and enabling your audio card in Device Manager causes an error message to appear and stops audio output. To resolve this, restart your computer.

* Waking your computer from sleep mode stops audio output. To resolve this, restart your computer.

* X-Fi CMSS®-3D features are not available in this download.

* Recording features are not available in this download.

* To allow PCM stereo output through optical out, select the Enable Digital I/O check box in "Audio Devices and Sound Themes" in Control Panel.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the picture editing tools build into Vista.

They are pretty basic can do the job most of the time.

They are all built into "Gallery Viewer" (click on Fix)

galleryviewer4dp.th.jpg