The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Hey Angry, I have seen many of your comments regarding XP64. As of this moment......do you still feel the same towards going with Vista 64 considering the small amount of drivers available? If you say no go for Vista 64....I'll return the copy I bought for 32. I seems like the verdict is 50/50 everywhere I read. I need you to help push me towards one or the other. Thanks for your help.

my suggestion is to completely forget Vista for as long as possible (90 days AFTER Service Pack 1 is released)

there's no reason to go to Vista

all of you think there is, but there isn't a single good reason for it.

Think of how fine you have your XP rigs tuned...tell me what Vista can do that XP cannot (and don't even start with that DX10 nonsense).

If you just got to have it because you got money to burn then that's cool I guess.

I'm not going to move to Vista for probably 12-24 months.

It's too buggy and weak, and eats up way too much resource, and doesn't offer anything but horrible headaches, problems, and the DRM thing is really frightening.

no, I'm going to stick with XP-32 as long as possible (DX10 be damned because it is not necessary at all, and I have this feeling that MS will cave and release DX10 for XP)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as easy as releasing DX10 for XP, afaik it would require a major kernel overhaul (similar to SP2) in order to get it working right. Maybe, if MS cares enough they'll get that in with XP SP4. But I doubt it, if they were to make DX10 for XP it would undermine their Vista sales.

That's because Vista hasn't been officially released yet.

This is a pretty complete list of available nvidia drivers, you can try something from there, but I would just wait until nvidia releases new drivers and use the ones that come pre-installed with Vista until then. The drivers on this page are probably not compatible with Vista build 6000 (RTM).

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=19

ATI/AMD Has official drivers for vista now "Catalyst® 7.1 Display Driver for Windows Vista (32 bit) and (64 bit)"

Link --->http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32...on-vista32.html

Now there is 1) Native OpenGL Vista support

2) CrossFire™ support under Vista

3) Catalyst™ Install Manager for Vista

4) New Catalyst™ Control Center