The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

i installed vista 64 and then it shows the win xp for compabiality mode - but dosnt matter -- dosnt work either way - no matter what i do -

it keeps saying

run time error -48

file not found - itevio.dll

but its there in the folder - and i tried to copy that file again over in the folder and still says its not found

all well - i guess its not working for me only

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard of anyone successfully using SmartGuardian in Vista x64.

I can guarantee MBM5 works on earlier versions of Vista x64 and current versions of x86.

You need to use the custom data file.

Have you tried Everest Ultimate from www.lavalys.com? Very good stuff.

I have decided that at this point I can't see any tangible benefit to Vista x64 so I'll stick with Vista x86.

Matter of fact, I am not so sure I see any tangible benefits to Vista :D

your right - i am using Everest now - just to see the temps at least -- and i really dont know if there is any difference with the 64 bit vista compared to the 32 bit - most programs get installed in the 32 bit folder anyway -

the only program i installed that went into the 64 bit folder was Acronis True Image 10 - so i belieave thats running at 64 bit - but either way - i dont know, see or feel any difference yet anyway - it did crash on me once so far - blue screen - i rebooted and didnt happen again yet - only been using it 2 days now - trying to get programs on that i use and hopefully make them work -

From the nVidia site, the 96.85 is the latest for Vista x64 RC2 and can be downloaded from here.

NVIDIA has released the following WHQL certified drivers for use with Windows Vista RC2 that will enable you to test the basic features and capabilities of the new operating system. Windows Vista RC2 and NVIDIA drivers are still Beta and are not officially supported.

Release Highlights:

• These drivers are only compatible with Windows Vista RC2 build 5744 and higher, and should not be used with other versions of Windows Vista.
  • Includes the new NVIDIA Control Panel. Please visit the NVIDIA Control Panel website for more information.
  • Includes OpenGL driver for compatibility testing.
  • Improved application compatibility and performance.
  • For a full list of fixes issues, please view the Release Notes.

Release Notes - 96.85

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon - OEM from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16832116059

Upgrade Redemption Form for Upgrade Version of Windows Vista Business. Expires on 3/15/07

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesforn...rch1507Tw18.pdf

Windows Vista Business 32-bit DVD....1x

Shipping and Handling.................$11.49

Tax and Duties..........................$00.99

Total.......................................$12.48

XP Pro SP2 .............................$139.99

+ 3 Business Day Shipping ............$4.99

+ Vista business 32-bit (or 64-bit).$12.48

Total Price................................$157.46

Think I am following all this Reel.

Standard Vista Business Upgrade is $199.

But you buy SP2 for $139 and then you get Vista Business free?

And then they cancel your SP2 serial number? Yes? No?

From the upgrade website

It says "pre-installed with a new PC".

We suggest that you have the items listed below readily available to place your website order:

o Please check with your Computer vendor for eligibility and redemption dates

o Please have your date of purchase

o Please have your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) number (14 digits) readily available.

o Please provide your Computer vendors Windows Vista Capable PC Model and Model number

o Please have your PC serial number readily available

• For End User Customers that received an Upgrade Redemption Form with the purchase of a qualifying PC preinstallation with a qualifying Windows XP product, you should refer to your Upgrade Redemption Form for eligibility dates and redemption dates, order instructions and requirements.

o Offer Terms and Conditions are included at the bottom of each Upgrade Redemption Form.

To complete your order, you will need to provide the receipt for the purchase of your qualifying PC.

• The Upgrade Software will ship within approximately 6-8 weeks from the later of (a) the date your have completed the redemption order requirements or (B) the applicable language version of the requested Upgrade Software has been released in your country. The receipt of Upgrade Software is also subject to availability and product supplies.

So I am going to build a new PC for my brother-in-law.

He will get a free upgrade to Vista Business but he will need a receipt from me to send in to MS and the PC needs a serial number.

Am I following this correctly?

I don't think the old XP cd key is canceled once the upgrade happens, at least I hope not.

I just bought XP and they just charged me for that and then the Vista shipping, after I filled out the rebate form online.

Once you get to the online form, it's pretty much explained step-by-step;

http://upgradeweb.moduslink.com/vista/

I just entered "0" (zero) for the model and serial numbers, since the PC is a custom built whitebox. The receipt shouldn't be needed if you use the online form. And I am guessing that buying an OEM disk is pretty much the same to them as buying a PC with XP preinstalled.

The purchase date I entered was the date I purchased the OEM CD.

Hope I answered all your questions.