The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any links?

check download.com...they got a pretty good review on it....

they have a column calling Vista a $200.00 XP service pack....ha ha..

Uncle david....you will find Audio drivers suck....big time...bad thing is there is Nothing you can do about it...go ahead and try...

I went so far as to try and install different drivers...they all acted like they installed successful...but when i went to driver details what did I find....Vista installed the same driver it installed the first time around...even if you delete the driver and load another downloaded or a driver off a cd...it will load the same driver you deleted....it's smart...but not that smart...ha ha

My biggest issues with Vista are...

Audio drivers...suck...only 2 channel capable...for me it will only let me enable the Mic if I set up the speech recognition thingy....yea right...

Creeping memory usage....I have been playing with this more and more over the last week...I dont know whats causing it...here's what it does...

I have 2gigs of ram...on reboot I hit the desktop at 36% usage...then when it's done loading (about 5-10 minutes) the back ground stuff....it goes to little less than 20%...

Now with Nothing running other than sitting at the desktop (before I click anything) it will start creeping up over night...it will go from 20% to 40% overnight...

Opening and closing apps will escalate the issue...if I am sitting at 20% and I open IE and hit about 4 tabs I hit 26%...now if I close IE I go back to 22% (not 20%) opening and closing apps does it faster...it will top out over 50% and start to lag a little bit and I reboot...then it's snappy again...

And I know what you're thinking...it's a issue with your rig....nope...I have it installed on 3 boxes with 3 different platforms...and they all do it...;)

Very, very bad launch for them so far.

Which one was?

Anyway, I got Vista Home Premium as I was planning on getting MCE for a box in my entertainment room but figured what the heck I'll try Vista.

I'm really not trying to badmouth Vista here at all.

But I have yet to see a newspaper, TV or internet article saying anything resembling "Vista is a must have - go get it right now".

Thought this was a pretty good article on the problems MS has faced on the launch http://www.esp.eweek.com/article/A+Blurry+...PEMNL013007EOAD

you know it's too bad...I really like it...but the DRM issue and the Audio driver and memory issues just make it a turn off...

I mean there are alot of cool other things that are good...like parental controls and other stuff but the mains things that we use everyday are just not as good as XP...;)

I am by no means leaving XP. I'm not leaving OSX either. I just want to see what Vista has to offer me and depending on how many tuner cards I can fit in a PC this could be one happy sports fan.