The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Did you disable driver signing?

I also disabled DEP.

keep clicking on the driver a number of times to see if it loads.

I have held down my enter key with out any luck.

How did you disable the DEP unless that is a preset setting I did not do that durring setup.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, if you are using Vista 5472 you need to hold down F8 before installing MBM5.

And then you need to do the same every time you reboot.

In fact any program with non-signed drivers will be a nightmare in 5472 and above.

If you are using 5384 (Beta 2) the instruction for disabling driver sinbging are in first post in thread.

Go to Help and support and type DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and it will walk you through how to set it up for only critical MS stuff.

I've got a post a couple pages back and Vista x64 is becoming more of a pain to use with newer versions. Long way to go before M$ gets any money out of me for it.

Thanks that fixed it. I was looking in the MBM5 tread for how to do it.

Just wondering is there a way to turn off the security alert that I am now getting? I can not find a setting to turn that off. Thanks for your help on this it is nice to be able to have this option now.

1st, are you on 5384 or 5472? :)

Right Click on Security Icon in taskbar to "Open"

Last on is change the way the Security Center notifies me

Click I do not want Notification Messages.

The Icon will remain but stop the notifications (at least on 5384)

hi guys,

ok, question here....

i installed BF2 on my Vista 5472 (or somethin, i always post this stuff at work, its my pc athome...its definitely the newer one than the BETA2 5384 thanks to buddies at work) and on my single-core A64..... played like butter....

then i isntalled X2 3800+ and all hell breaks loose! FPS drops into unplayable!

is there a special driver for dualcores for Vista? should i set the affinity? and how? should i reinstal BF2? if possible, i dont want to reinstal vista coz i dont have XP...

i had a thread asking about this and its being...moved..somewhere i guess (or im not very sober yesterday tat i start imagining im posting a thread at dfi-street.com).....

Creative released the newest beta drivers for Audigy based cards yesterday. Just finished installing them on Vista 5384 32-bit and the 5.1 surround works now.

Drivers are for the following cards:

Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy including Platinum and Platinum eX series

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy® 2 including Platinum, Platinum eX, and Value series

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS including Platinum and Platinum Pro series

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro and Sound Blaster Audigy 4

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA

LINK: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/d...ype=0&details=1

is there a special driver for dualcores for Vista? should i set the affinity? and how? should i reinstal BF2? if possible,

Not that I know of, you can try setting affinity or reinstalling, but for gaming I recommend XP.

Creative released the newest beta drivers for Audigy based cards yesterday. Just finished installing them on Vista 5384 32-bit and the 5.1 surround works now.

Drivers are for the following cards:

Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy including Platinum and Platinum eX series

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy® 2 including Platinum, Platinum eX, and Value series

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS including Platinum and Platinum Pro series

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro and Sound Blaster Audigy 4

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA

LINK: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/d...ype=0&details=1

w00t! good stuff! i did the XP-driver hack explained from firstp ost, but seems like its giving me troubles...

as for BF2... oh well... i'll postpone any BF2 until i can get some time reisntall XP :(

its Titan Quest for now :) wow, singleplayer is long... played for 3 days, still on lvl 17...

edit: wtf??? driver expired Nov. 4, 2006??

edit: drivers works almost perfectly... i can set up 5.1 both from creative control panel and window's audio control panel. games played perfectly and my microphone works much better.

problems:

- winamp only plays 2.1?? i had to set my logitech z5300 to matrix

- driver expired...

- windows live messenger audio video conversation comes on from centre speaker. not really a problem, rather cool even, but it still feels abit odd lol

Audigy Driver for Vista:

- Winamp wont play 5.1

- Xvid/Divx avi's will loose audio after a few min playing

- BF2 loosing audio after 30min+ playing

- Configuring 5.1 from the control panel (not creative console) and testing the speakers will crash the system.

- Driver will expire November 2006

this is on build 5472......

bad. really bad. converting to previos driver.

Might be better if we all just wait a little long

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060811-7486.html

Windows Vista nears RC1, Customer Previews to be reinstated

8/11/2006 5:38:49 PM, by Jeremy Reimer

It's old news by now that the development of Windows Vista has been a long and laborious process. Still, despite missing the crucial Christmas 2006 season, things look on track for the planned consumer release of the operating system in January 2007. A Microsoft blogger dropped some hints yesterday about future plans for the first Vista release candidate.

The last widespread public release of the OS was Beta 2, which while functionally complete, still contained many annoying issues for testers, especially with third-party software. Beta 2 was based on Build 5259, but the operating system has come a long way since then. Two Community Technology Preview builds were released to users in the CTP program: the December CTP (5270) and the February CTP (5308/5342). Nick White, the Microsoft product manager who announced the news about RC1, says that he is personally using Build 5505, which is a newer one than RC1 will be using. Build numbers are ostensibly a record of how many times the operating system has been fully compiled, although sometimes they will make major numerical jumps for significant releases.

The other news is that Microsoft will be renewing the Customer Preview Program that allowed people to download and evaluate Vista Beta 2, so people who missed their last chance to download it from Microsoft's site will be able to sign up again for the RC1 release. An exact date for RC1 hasn't been given, but it shouldn't be too far off, given the fact that a specific build number has been chosen for the release. The remaining time will be spent making sure the release candidate is suitable for public consumption and getting the servers ready for public distribution. Like all of Microsoft's betas, RC1 will be a time-limited release—Beta 2 expires on May 31, 2007, for example.

Microsoft has faced criticism for the longer-than-expected gestation period of Windows Vista, but getting the operating system to a releasable state represents a considerable amount of effort. Many third-party products (including, we hope, most spyware) are having a difficult time running in the more strict security levels that Vista operates in (by default, users run as Limited User rather than Administrator). There are also issues with third-party device drivers, especially video drivers, that need time to catch up to Vista's new driver model. Microsoft is hoping that they can solve these issues in time for the planned January release date.

That is good to hear. I have to say with the updates vista on my end has been getting better and better. I have no where near the issues I had before. All but my HP all in one and Nokia phone I have everything working fine driver wise.