The AMD 3GHz Club

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Bah, got it to 2.9 now, old PSU was holding it back, 6 year old coolermaster 400W peak probably had a bit of trouble powering my cpu, 4 HDD's, my X850, 3 optical drives and 7 120mm and 1 200mm fans in my 1200 :P

Still can't get it over 2.9 without blue-screening and having to clear the cmos, final upgrade for this rig is going to be an Opteron 170, maybe I'll get that past the 3.0 mark ^^

Edited by DexRain

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I got a question... maybe i'm stupid but um, what AMD CPUs qualify for this club??? I mean I got my phenom that runs stock at 3.2GHz which obviously doesn't count.. so what processors are allowed? I have a Athlon 64 X2 5400+ that i'm thinking about using for this.. Does that qualify??

• 2 weeks later...

ehem.. may i joint this club? i guess the answer is yes. why? bcz i'm able to push my phenom x4 9950 be to 3.1ghz, with new cooler (xigmatek balder), new power supply unit (gigabyte 700watt, 80+) and new casing (CM 690). 2 hours stable on everest stability test.

i jz need some opinion/ thoughts/ explanation about one thing, during running everest stability test,at some point my phemom clock drop to 1.3ghz, but after one second or more it will get back to 3.1ghz. it somehow effect the performance during game play. for example, when i play dirt 2 (very high setting with anti-alising MSAA x 4==45-50 frame per scond) it suddenly drop to 10fps or less, but then it will back to normal fps in less than one second. Any thoughts??? ^_^

Edited by sunan

yeah, i 'm not just disabled the features, i even did not install the amd drivers which actually driver for amd cool n quiet features. not just that, i also manually set the setting for proc (fsb frequency i set to 200mhz, multiplier 15.5) n ram (5-5-5-18). only for pci-e i set it to auto.

• 1 month later...

help.. ive got a biostar, ta790gxb and a phenom II x4 925... @3.2ghz 1.3v... v8 OC auto....

it is running only 42c max with gigabyte g-power 2 pro...

i want to up it more.. maybe up to 3.5ghz with 1.35v... but i cant change the cpu vcore no matter what i do..

1.3v is the max setting i find.. why is it like that?

its stable at 3.2ghz... with prime 95 test..

still 42c... i want to oc further..

i went to bios and just do the v6, v8, v12,... its not stable at v12 bcoz the cpu vcore is still 1.3v... i cannot up it...

when i change the vcore at the bios.. the max is 1.3v, then 0.0v up to only 1.3v? help pls...

tnx alot oc club!

i have a

Biostar TA790GXB

AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8ghz "stock"

stable at 3.2ghz without changing the vcore, 1.3v

Gigabyte G-power 2 pro cooler

3GB ram 800mhz

Galaxy GeForce GTX 260+ OC edition...

Alienware green casing

Thermaltake PSU 600watts.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my format if its incorrect but i didnt quite understand the "rules". What i do understand is these numbers i got arent even at FULL potential, 2 days stable then turned down a little notch 2 more days as im typing. off and on stability testing usually an hour at a time but i did comeplete six hours yesterday.

Stock - Athlon II x4 620 @ 2.6 Ghz on the Asus m4a785-m board

OCZ DDR2 4GB dual channel Fatal1ty pc6400 - 800 mhz

The OC numbers will show in the screens i saved, and if i knew more about tweaking im sure its got more, also my RAM is holding me back at a certain scale too. Its actually set at 333 in the BIOS so that it runs at 416 to keep stable with the CPU clock. my temps have never gone above 50, usually stay around 32 in normal operation, all on air, stock cooler, plenty of fans.

I hope my screen shots show up in this, The 6 MB L3 DID IN FACT unlock. problem being i was not expecting it so i have no real benchmarks to show how much improvement the L3 made, im new at this in a sense so half my info is jotted down on paper quite randomly, nice huh? but here goes....

UPDATE i finally figured out what OCCT was and am using it right now. it specifies my core codename as "RANA", speeds are all acurate and its testing, im gonna have to do reasearch on the RANA. That could explain my 6MB L3!!!

UPDATE 2 ok everything has been fine up until OCCT, it failed me, so i went ahead and upped the vcore from 1.275 to 1.3 like other ppl mention, i thought my mobo wouldnt let me but here Overdrive doesnt recognize everything properly. The Occt has made it far past where it did the first time, my temps did go up to 33 idle, 59 load, which i expected, but under 60 on air seems fair to me. if anyone has any tips for me id be very thankful.

post-70804-1266548275_thumb.png

post-70804-1266548300_thumb.png

post-70804-1266548314_thumb.png

post-70804-1266548341_thumb.png

Edited by Chadwick0

help.. ive got a biostar, ta790gxb and a phenom II x4 925... @3.2ghz 1.3v... v8 OC auto....

it is running only 42c max with gigabyte g-power 2 pro...

i want to up it more.. maybe up to 3.5ghz with 1.35v... but i cant change the cpu vcore no matter what i do..

1.3v is the max setting i find.. why is it like that?

its stable at 3.2ghz... with prime 95 test..

still 42c... i want to oc further..

i went to bios and just do the v6, v8, v12,... its not stable at v12 bcoz the cpu vcore is still 1.3v... i cannot up it...

when i change the vcore at the bios.. the max is 1.3v, then 0.0v up to only 1.3v? help pls...

tnx alot oc club!

i have a

Biostar TA790GXB

AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8ghz "stock"

stable at 3.2ghz without changing the vcore, 1.3v

Gigabyte G-power 2 pro cooler

3GB ram 800mhz

Galaxy GeForce GTX 260+ OC edition...

Alienware green casing

Thermaltake PSU 600watts.

I seemed to have a similar problem thats resolved now so far, the v6, v8, v12 you mentioned i believe should be left on auto or default, my post with my screens above explains alot but everything i know so far is self taught aside from 3 years IT networking. the programs ive used so far to monitor vcore voltage always show lower than what its set at, once i discovered that i realized my 1.3V setting is indeed working, my processor at its speed needed to be able to hit 1.28v seldomly, and since my bios was 1.275 i believe that caused the auto shut down. so it seems that the vcore voltage is simply a guide to say "if i try to go above this im shutting down" so in turn if your manual bios is set higher than what it usually uses at peak your system should run. even at peak for an hour mine will say 1.264v and 1.248v, which made me think 1.275 was enough (default), then for a second i caught it read 1.28 while it was booting just after i made the setting 1.3, im gonna leave it at that and update if anything changes but it seems to be the diff maker. so far.

ok updated volts to 1.31xxx, and when i first started with OC'ing i didnt know how to set the volt, with mine its the plus and minus arrows on the numpad. , this setting should be all i need if everything else is stable for extended periods. i could use some help since this is self taught info, every OC guide explains what it is and etc etc, nothing specific for newer set ups. which is what i need.

Edited by Chadwick0