The AMD 3GHz Club

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately we were (are) strict sticklers for rules when it comes to these types of threads because anyone can just claim they got x-Mhz and say it is stable, which is not a big deal until someone comes along behind and tries to duplicate (with variants of course...no two hardware setups are the same, even with 100% exact same hardware...skills and such make the variations).

More than that, we don't care if you think your ego is going to get boosted by claiming some number when you really couldn't do anymore more than just getting it to boot into 3.32Ghz or whatever and throwing up a cpu-z screen etc...that isn't the point...the point is being disciplined and following rules, and more importantly, uniformity.

That all being said...this thread is on the dead side for the fact that 939's are very much yesterday, and with AM2 and even more popular, the Core2/Quad stuff being in a good chunk of our machines now, we really haven't thought of a new system/setup to shoot for. The LGA775 Overclocking Database is still very relevant, but AMD64 stuff isn't so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm on a Phenom Black 9850 setup, and I'm enjoying it, but the popularity of the platform isn't what it was in the heyday of AMD64 939. This doesn't mean we should treat everything AMD as the molester-uncle...but like the molester uncle, we tend to not invite him to get-togethers much lol.

I guess my point is, I'd like to see everyone that wants on the list in this thread to follow the rules we've put in place to keep uniformity, as well as encourage others to follow the strict guidelines. I would also like to have a lot of you community members help us devise a NEW thread that is updated for current AMD products, with a new set of strict guidelines and proofs (tests) as AMD stuff is by no means unpopular anymore. I know Alan (ajmatson) and I are still AMD dorks who enjoy fooling with it very much, and there's still no reason to avoid AMD cpu's other than personal preference, sale prices, whatever.

i.e. unless you are a super-dork who thinks benchmark numbers mean everything and anyone who doesn't agree with your views ought to have their testicles stomped into strawberry jam, you'll probably feel like Alan and I do...there's really not that much difference between the two platforms UNLESS all you do is run benchmarks all day long. (I can tell you honestly that my Phenom 9850 runs circles around every single dual-core in the lab, whether it is Intel or AMD, and my Phenom doesn't lag far behind the quad Intel chips in my own testing...which is testing on software that I actually use all the time like Sony Vegas, SoundForge, Acid, gaming, cd-ripping/encoding, etc...I mean, what is a 21 second difference in encoding times when they all take at minimum 14+ minutes to encode? not enough to go all fanboy in my opinion).

Anyway, if you guys have some ideas on which direction to go in, let me know. Everyone still loves and remembers the old DFI Toasters, and we could REALLY use a guy with some 3d skills to help us create a new OCC Toaster or such...a bit of a bragging graphic/icon awarded to those who are disciplined enough to hit a certain clock while maintaining consistency with a rigorous amount of standardized testing.

unfortunately we were (are) strict sticklers for rules when it comes to these types of threads because anyone can just claim they got x-Mhz and say it is stable, which is not a big deal until someone comes along behind and tries to duplicate (with variants of course...no two hardware setups are the same, even with 100% exact same hardware...skills and such make the variations).

More than that, we don't care if you think your ego is going to get boosted by claiming some number when you really couldn't do anymore more than just getting it to boot into 3.32Ghz or whatever and throwing up a cpu-z screen etc...that isn't the point...the point is being disciplined and following rules, and more importantly, uniformity.

That all being said...this thread is on the dead side for the fact that 939's are very much yesterday, and with AM2 and even more popular, the Core2/Quad stuff being in a good chunk of our machines now, we really haven't thought of a new system/setup to shoot for. The LGA775 Overclocking Database is still very relevant, but AMD64 stuff isn't so much. Don't get me wrong, I'm on a Phenom Black 9850 setup, and I'm enjoying it, but the popularity of the platform isn't what it was in the heyday of AMD64 939. This doesn't mean we should treat everything AMD as the molester-uncle...but like the molester uncle, we tend to not invite him to get-togethers much lol.

I guess my point is, I'd like to see everyone that wants on the list in this thread to follow the rules we've put in place to keep uniformity, as well as encourage others to follow the strict guidelines. I would also like to have a lot of you community members help us devise a NEW thread that is updated for current AMD products, with a new set of strict guidelines and proofs (tests) as AMD stuff is by no means unpopular anymore. I know Alan (ajmatson) and I are still AMD dorks who enjoy fooling with it very much, and there's still no reason to avoid AMD cpu's other than personal preference, sale prices, whatever.

i.e. unless you are a super-dork who thinks benchmark numbers mean everything and anyone who doesn't agree with your views ought to have their testicles stomped into strawberry jam, you'll probably feel like Alan and I do...there's really not that much difference between the two platforms UNLESS all you do is run benchmarks all day long. (I can tell you honestly that my Phenom 9850 runs circles around every single dual-core in the lab, whether it is Intel or AMD, and my Phenom doesn't lag far behind the quad Intel chips in my own testing...which is testing on software that I actually use all the time like Sony Vegas, SoundForge, Acid, gaming, cd-ripping/encoding, etc...I mean, what is a 21 second difference in encoding times when they all take at minimum 14+ minutes to encode? not enough to go all fanboy in my opinion).

Anyway, if you guys have some ideas on which direction to go in, let me know. Everyone still loves and remembers the old DFI Toasters, and we could REALLY use a guy with some 3d skills to help us create a new OCC Toaster or such...a bit of a bragging graphic/icon awarded to those who are disciplined enough to hit a certain clock while maintaining consistency with a rigorous amount of standardized testing.

i understand what you mean.

but my screens are no fakes! why should i make fake screns?

every screen is more than 3 houer als prime! and 3 houers of prime are much better than superpi32m

because if superpi32m runs, the computer could be stable but he must not be stable!

b

Edited by Techtrancer

i understand what you mean.

but my screens are no fakes! why should i make fake screns?

every screen is more than 3 houer als prime! and 3 houers of prime are much better than superpi32m

because if superpi32m runs, the computer could be stable but he must not be stable!

b

Did you read the rules at the begining of the thread ? They are very simple, a screenshot of Prime/Orthos blend 8hrs or more with a completed 3d01 run in the same screenie and cpuz with clock and ram tabs . Plus completed 3d03, 3d05, 3d06 runs with cpuz clock and ram tabs. Nothing else was acceptable to anyone who made a submission then, and still is'nt now. I don't think for one second Angry was saying your screenies were fakes, that's not the way i read his post. The rules were, and are there so that all the clocks were shown to be as fully stable as possible. Nothing else was or is acceptable.

• 1 month later...

Hello old DIY members,

So this is where everything moved to... I was pleasantly surprised to find my username preserved here!! Thanks! Hope Angry is doing alright. Hmm... I haven't done much OC lately since I'm low on funds and seeing how the 45 nm Deneb/Nehalem will pan out. Besides, the old Opty systems is still running well. Got an old 3800 X2 from a friend a mine for free a while back and was just able to grab one of the last retail nForce4 LANPARTY expert before it went the way of the dodo for $125. Unfortunately, that particular chip wasn't too spectacular and got only 2.67 out of it stable (orthos 8+, complete 3DMark suite, etc.) Almost a waste of the Expert. Temperature never got too bad with my Ninja but it just wouldn't run orthos for more than 1-2 hours over that but at that it's stable as it can be. Being an old AMD guy, I'm hoping for the best for Deneb but if Nehalem is so much better, who knows what I'll do.

Recently I had an old case with an old Enermax 350W 20 pin PS and another free old GC from my friend, an AGP RAD 9800. I said to my self, what the hell, I had the OEM CPU cooler from 3800+ X2 so I grabbed a Biostar KM800 AM2 Micro (AGP, 20 pin, DDR2) and BE-2400 from the egg for $80 bucks plus 2GB (2X1GB) of A-Data PC6400 for another $40 and got myself a halfway decent net browser for cheap using ancient parts on the cheap. Hate to see old parts go to waste. I was going to run it stock... I really did. But seeing that there were some BIOS adjustments here and there, I couldn't resist and gave it a go. Unfortunately, the board's HTT frequency seems limited to 232 Mhz and that put my OC to an end at 2.667 GHz. I was even using to the old AMD OEM 3800 X2 (939) cooler for god sake and temperature was definitely not the limiting factor. Neither was the RAM as is was chugging along nicely at 445 MHz without any issues at 5-5-5-something-something. God, I'm so not used to DDR2 timing! It was running at 2T and I thought what?! But I guess that's normal for DDR2. Now of course we got DDR3 here for Intel and in the future for AMD. Anyway, since the OEM cooler was whining like a Banshee at 5600 RPM and it was really getting on my nerves so I ordered a Ninja 2 from CrazyPC on sale for $29! Then I also ended up ordering front panel flash card reader/USB header (since the dang old case didn't even have a USB ports up front! It used to house my first build, a T-bird 1200 system [that should give you an idea of how old the case is!]) and a USB/Firewire combo card (need more USB ports plus Firewire for my film scanner) and I didn't have a cheap little web browsing system anymore. Oh, and I had to get a 320 GB Seagate SATA2 drive (for a low price, I assure you) since the old 40 GB IDE drive I salvaged from somewhere just wasn't good enough nowadays. At this rate I might even end up getting a BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX just so I can see how far I can push this little chip and be ready for the future. But then I would have to get a new PS so the price would keep creeping up. Anyway, it's nice see the old familiar names again. I guess I'll hang out here in the future. Extreme Systems has a too much Intel gangsters for my taste. Then again, I haven't really had a look around here, either. I know Intel is the way to go right now but I like to root for the underdog so I'll keep trying to see if AMD can survive the latest quarterly losses to kick out Deneb and onto Bulldozer and 32 nm. Anyway, it's nice to see the old 3 GHz club preserved. Of course, you can just buy stock 3+ GHz AM2 chips nowadays. Who knows, I might even try Intel for a different flavor.

• 1 month later...

th_12hrstable.jpg

th_3dmark03.jpg

th_3dmark06.jpg

Yo does this get me in the club. I looked all over for OCDB guidlines for this forum but must be overlooking them. I don't even find an AMD OCDB on this forum. I am pretty sure we had one on the street. I just built and delivered this system to my friend. IF it doesn't oh well. It is 3.0GHz stable. I had a lot of fun with this build.

Edited by chemojay

th_12hrstable.jpg

th_3dmark03.jpg

th_3dmark06.jpg

Yo does this get me in the club. I looked all over for OCDB guidlines for this forum but must be overlooking them. I don't even find an AMD OCDB on this forum. I am pretty sure we had one on the street. I just built and delivered this system to my friend. IF it doesn't oh well. It is 3.0GHz stable. I had a lot of fun with this build.

it's definitely worthy...but in the wrong layout....good work though...

the layout is in the 1st post...or in the OCDB rules...

• 3 weeks later...