Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

Here's a tip from someone that build rigs for a living.

As the power consumption increases on the motherboard and graphics cards, power supplies will have to keep up.

Just three years ago a 350W PSU was considered average. Now a 480W PSU is average.

Just three years ago very few people had two graphics cards. Now it's common to have two.

Just three years ago a graphics card might have a single 4pin Molex for power. Now a 6pin PCIe plug is common.

While you might be able to get a rig to run with an under spec PSU, why? A PSU that just meets the power requirements will have to run at 100% output. This increases the temps and shortens the useful life of the hardware.

Currently, two top of the line ATI cards can draw 38amps. That's 30% more than an entire 350W PSU can handle.

The whole idea is to get a PSU that can handle today's loads and hopefully get you through at least one upgrade without needing a replacement.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I received the 600W version some weeks ago as a RMA replacement (btw. it is my #4 PSU from OCZ...)

Good things:

- it has very stable rails (tested via DMM: bios, boot, idle, load + shutdown)

- cables are very long and I have to say that I own a really big case (Chieftec

Big Mesh Series)

Not so good things:

- it is loud (ok, I´m on water, but the BeQuiet was much better regarding to noise level...)

- I can´t get MBM + Bios to display the right values for voltages, they are all off, only the 12V display is correct. This happend with all my PSU´s from OCZ (2xPowerstream 520, 1xPowerstream 600SLI and with my current unit). I had no problems with my BeQuiet 600W.

Any ideas about that?

I would say it is worth the money, especially when you remember the very good OCZ support + 36 months guarantee!

Gipse

The voltage display is from a sensor on the motherboard. The sensors are notorious for being incorrect.

The only way to verify the voltages it to use a qualtity multi-meter.

Hi,

I received the 600W version some weeks ago as a RMA replacement (btw. it is my #4 PSU from OCZ...)

Good things:

- it has very stable rails (tested via DMM: bios, boot, idle, load + shutdown)

- cables are very long and I have to say that I own a really big case (Chieftec

Big Mesh Series)

Not so good things:

- it is loud (ok, I´m on water, but the BeQuiet was much better regarding to noise level...)

- I can´t get MBM + Bios to display the right values for voltages, they are all off, only the 12V display is correct. This happend with all my PSU´s from OCZ (2xPowerstream 520, 1xPowerstream 600SLI and with my current unit). I had no problems with my BeQuiet 600W.

Any ideas about that?

I would say it is worth the money, especially when you remember the very good OCZ support + 36 months guarantee!

Gipse

The voltage display is from a sensor on the motherboard. The sensors are notorious for being incorrect.

The only way to verify the voltages it to use a qualtity multi-meter.

Hi ExRoadie,

sorry to disagree with you in this point of discussion. But you must be wrong in this case... All PSU´s from OCZ were not able to report the correct voltages via Bios or MBM. The BeQuiet! one was "almost" (+/- 0.02V) totally correct; this can´t be due to motherboard sensors...

Gipse

It' not the PSU...move it from rig to rig and check the rails with a DMM. It will be consistant while the sensors on each and every rig will report differently...

ER knows what he's talking about...

Hi ExRoadie,

sorry to disagree with you in this point of discussion. But you must be wrong in this case... All PSU´s from OCZ were not able to report the correct voltages via Bios or MBM. The BeQuiet! one was "almost" (+/- 0.02V) totally correct; this can´t be due to motherboard sensors...

Gipse

Well, based upon your results, I will say without a doubt, that the "BeQuiet" was the one that was out of range.

The PSU doesn't "report" anything to the onboard sensor. The sensor chip is simply an IC on the board with different signals running to it. It will detect and report many different readings including voltage.

I can say that possibly two or three of the hundreds of rigs I've built had an onboard sensor that was dead-on accurate when compared to a quality multi-meter.

Never, ever trust the onboard sensor without first qualifying it's results with another device whether it's voltage or temperature.

Trust me! I know from where I speak!

i have the 700w version and it rocks. the only thing that i can say is bad about it is the fan can randomly start a low rattle, other than that it's perfect

heres a spec pic:

IMG_1111.jpg

i have the 700w version and it rocks. the only thing that i can say is bad about it is the fan can randomly start a low rattle, other than that it's perfect.

If the fan gives a random "rattle", you should make sure the four grill screws are tight. There's no good reason for the "rattle" and if the screws are tight you should contact OCZ.