Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEO: You won't be happy about anything. All you do is complain about the shortcomings of every single piece of hardware that gets discussed except your beloved NF2, and even then you complain about that.

I wish just once you would find something positive about something when discussing hardware in this (or any other) section. We are all aware these days that nothing but your NF2/AthlonXP impresses you, but I have to let you in on a secret....

there's a reason we all move on to new hardware like AMD Athlon64, dual core's, SLI, Crossfire, 2GB RAM, new psu's, NForce4 chipsets, etc. It ain't because the old stuff is better and more impressive.

everyone else: The GX psu's are fantastic. They are the only psu I am recommending at thet moment.

Not everyone might like them, but any of you that are in the market for a new long-lasting psu from a company that will easily stand behind their products, then these OCZ GamerXstream psu's are for you.

Yes they are a bit more expensive...but they are worth every penny. Ask any of us that have one, or any of us that have a previous OCZ Powerstream psu.

They have Fortron clones without the LED fan which are just as good, but I still prefer the OCZ's just because if I can have two psu's that are the exact same, then I am going to choose OCZ's since OCZ has always had high quality products, the best service, and I choose to continue to support them for these two very important aspects.

Yeah I know..., I was just trying to get the guy to post more readouts and give a tiny bit more specs.

I was'nt really dissing it, I just wanted to get a better idea of how well it might wok.

The more I learn, the pickier I get I think :.

NEO: You won't be happy about anything. All you do is complain about the shortcomings of every single piece of hardware that gets discussed except your beloved NF2, and even then you complain about that.

Yeah that's true...

I'm like that though lol, real b@tchy about computers..

:), sorry and all, I really don't try to come off as an @ss when it comes to this stuff.

It's very true that most poeple would be happy.

I just nit pick every detail I find though :sweat:

I know most don't care how wll it works as long as it works.

With me though, I'm allways wanting that extra ms less in whatever, I'm really goofy like that.

I've been like that since I was a kid working on a 386, tweaking it out and all that.

Have to agree with UncleDavid, this is one hell of a PSU. I have the 700W model and it is both quiet and powerful. Much lighter than my old PowerStream 600W.

Have to admit, I wish OCZ would roll ALL of their technologies into one PSU... When I was buying my PowerStream, I kept thinking about the ModStream with the modular cables, but then I wanted the adjustable voltages on the PowerStream...

Same thing now with the GameXstream - thought voltages are now where they should be by default (all slightly above spec, even under load), I WISH this had modular cables. I personally don't use 50% of the cables, and it's a pain to have to tape and zip tie them all back behind/above the psu and in one of the 5.25" bays.

BTW OCZ, I would PAY for a PSU which had all the features.... :nod:

#1 there's no need for adjustable voltages honestly...the only reason OCZ did it was our NF3 motherboards only put out about 3.1v and you either had to have an OCZ DDR Booster or adjust the rails on your psu.

Theres simply no need for it now.

#2 as for modular...read the thread here about the interview with the PCP&C President. That pretty much sums up how most feel about modular psu's.

I've had experience with both the Modstream and GameXStream. For anyone who thinks modular cables help at all... here is evidence...

Modstream:

DSCF0622.jpg

GameXStream:

ALLPICTURES231231352gr.jpg

As long as you spend a good amount of time wiring up your case, things will look perfectly fine with or without a modular PSU. There are simply no tangible reasons to buy a modular PSU. You loose power and gain looks. Not worth it IMO. Keep in mind the first picture was taken before I knew anything about DFI boards, so all the power connectors aren't plugged in. I KNOW THAT!! :) Awaiting RMA for my Platinum (Newegg sent the wrong stuff)... should be here by Friday *crosses fingers* Happy IS right, if you have the choice avoid modular PSUs.