Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

That's not what the 1st page says... The output (in Watts and Amps) is exactly the same...

They differ in the +12v output (in watts) 580 vs. 680W.

All the other values are equal.

But in practical terms, what u have said reflects in?

For you guys, for how long do you thing a PSU is worth keeping?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what the 1st page says... The output (in Watts and Amps) is exactly the same...

They differ in the +12v output (in watts) 580 vs. 680W.

All the other values are equal.

But in practical terms, what u have said reflects in?

All four 12V rails are the same 18Amps the only difference is in the total watts listed.

GameXtream 600...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...pply+%2D+Retail

GameXtream 700...

But if you really want to be picky and stick strictly to what's printed on the label let's do the math...

The GX 600 has 155W on the 3.3V and 5V rails, 580W on the 12V rails and 20W on the -12V and 5VSB rails. So 155+580+20=755. That's a total of 755 possible watts according to the label.

The GX 700 has the same 155W and 20W plus the 680W. So 155+680+20=855. That's a total of 855 possible watts according to the label.

Now if you divide the 580W by 12V you get a possible 48.3A from the 12V rails.

On the GX 700 you divide the 680W by 12V and you get a possible 56.6A from the 12V rails.

What all this means is that for all intents and purposes the two units will deliver the same exact performance within about 12%. Unless and until you are running either unit right against the limits of it's performance, you will not be able to tell the difference.

As I said in an earlier post, the ATI 1900XTX is the only time I would recommend the 700 over the 600.

I'll problably never spend my money in a high-end gfx... In a SLI/Crossfire, even less probability... But there is always the 0.1% chance...

So, do you guys think future graphic cards will consume so much juice that the 600w version would be obselete in 1 and a half year?

And if i had more hardware to the machine, would i have a large space to maneuver or would i be tight with what i already have?

For instance...

I was managing myself with a 470W PSU (450 real). Imagine somehow i bought a 1900XTX (second hand, lottery ticket.. whateva...). I've read in this thread that some cards at full load can consume up to 140W. So...

450+140=590

Therefore i would be maxing out the 600W version, wouldn't i? And even if not... Imagine i meanwhile added up an HDD and/or other material...

Am i thinking right that the 600W wouldn't be enough?

Am i thinking right that the 600W wouldn't be enough?

The 600 will perform nicely for you. The big thing to remember is that even though there's a difference of 100W total power from the units that you never want to run anything at 100% for extended periods.

It shortens the lifespan of the hardware.

Of course if you hit the lottery, what's to keep you from upgrading the power supply. LOL

The 600 will perform nicely for you. The big thing to remember is that even though there's a difference of 100W total power from the units that you never want to run anything at 100% for extended periods.

It shortens the lifespan of the hardware.

Of course if you hit the lottery, what's to keep you from upgrading the power supply. LOL

What i was also asking is that with the current system i have, with some upgrades and a beffier GFX i won't have much difficulty hitting around de 550W, wouldn't i?

And other thing...

How come both PSU's have the fours rails with the same amps but with different voltages?

What's the relations between Amps/Watts in order to created a 100W dif?

Could someone explain?

And wouldn't it be more efficient to run the rig with the 700W version since it would deal with the load with more ease?

Thanks!!!

:)

EDIT:

Well... This guy here didn't have much of a trouble getting the PSU to work near the 600W...

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21042

Thank you UncleDavid218 for the review It was really nice. You replied to my thread about deciding weather I should get the Ultra-D or expert and told me I would need to upgrade my PSU for the expert and pointed me here. I am going to get a GameXStream 700w because its only $30 more than a 600w and I found out by calling OCZ and Posting on their Forums That the 600w was only 15A per 12V Rail and the label on them was a miss print. But it is still an awsome power supply. I did not see this info in here so I thought I would share it and here is a Link to the post where RyderOCZ told me also this is true.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21794

thanks again for all the info and nice review and I am going to get the expert.

What sparked me to call and post on their forums about the difference was this thread because looking at the label pictures it made no sense for everything to be the same but rated 100w more on max output. ( Im not a Electrical Engineer but I have had my share of electronics experience before I started in the IT field I worked on cars and trucks at dealers for over 12 years and you all know that since about the mid 90's there isnt much on them that isnt computer controlled) anyway please post back what you find out.

Thanks

All four 12V rails are the same 18Amps the only difference is in the total watts listed.

GameXtream 600...

GameXtream 700...

But if you really want to be picky and stick strictly to what's printed on the label let's do the math...

The GX 600 has 155W on the 3.3V and 5V rails, 580W on the 12V rails and 20W on the -12V and 5VSB rails. So 155+580+20=755. That's a total of 755 possible watts according to the label.

The GX 700 has the same 155W and 20W plus the 680W. So 155+680+20=855. That's a total of 855 possible watts according to the label.

Now if you divide the 580W by 12V you get a possible 48.3A from the 12V rails.

On the GX 700 you divide the 680W by 12V and you get a possible 56.6A from the 12V rails.

What all this means is that for all intents and purposes the two units will deliver the same exact performance within about 12%. Unless and until you are running either unit right against the limits of it's performance, you will not be able to tell the difference.

As I said in an earlier post, the ATI 1900XTX is the only time I would recommend the 700 over the 600.

That is what is confusing me. I understand that but then why would the 600w only have 15a? Ex's math is correct... I double checked.

GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 -12V +5Vsb

36A 30A 15A 15A 15A 15A 0.5A 3A

155W

580W 20W

600W

GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 -12V +5Vsb

36A 30A 18A 18A 18A 18A 0.5A 3A

155W

680W 20W

700W

Volts x Amps = Watts

600W PSU

3.3V x 36A = 118.8W

5V x 30A = 150W

12V x 60A = 720W

-12 x 0.5 = 6W

5Vsb x 3 = 20W

Total = 1014.8 59.12% of 1014W = 600W

700W PSU

3.3V x 36A = 118.8W

5V x 30A = 150W

12V x 72A = 864W

-12 x 0.5 = 6W

5Vsb x 3 = 20W

Total = 1158.8W 60.45% of 1158W = 700W

“The standard unit of measurement of electrical power. One watt is one ampere of current flowing at one volt. Watts are typically rated as AMPS x VOLTS or VOLT-AMP (V-A). However, this rating is only equivalent to watts when it applies to devices that absorb all the energy, such as electric heating coils or incandescent light bulbs. With computer power supplies, the actual watt rating is only 60% to 70% of the VOLT-AMP rating.”

Cite: Technology information about watt on Answers.com. Computer Desktop Encyclopedia Copyright © 2006 by Computer Language Company Inc.. Published by Computer Language Company Inc..

So if you go off of this definition then that is right both are about 60% of its true total watts as you can see above. So I guess that is not to bad if consider how many different volts and functions it has to do. And sorry it was so long but I hope everyone that reads this understands it and I made it into pdf to make it easier to read.

yfital im sorry you didnt get the numbers in my post and the earlier post I made that had OCZ rep saying it was 15 and now OCZ's website says that too. But my last post showed Mathematically that 15 sounds better because if it is 18 then the power supply goes from 60% real world to 52% real world. Hey its just a mathematical view from how watts are calculated from amps & volts. But it does not matter because its a proven PSU for DFI boards and its very nice PSU.

and I dont think that it is not true as you stated I just think it can be Perceived either way. That is why you got 18 from them and I got 15.